PDA

View Full Version : How does mail get to it's destination

Tone2TheBone
April 13th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I'm expecting 2 very important packages via US Post and I don't know how it works in other countries Rob and Super Swede but I'm wondering....how does mail get from point A to point B?

So you put a stamp on a letter and put it in your mailbox...then the postman comes and picks those up and then everyone elses and then takes them to the post office to get processed, sorted etc. Then I'm assuming that mail and packages are either trucked or flow across the nation and distributed to other post offices to be processed and sorted again to get ready to be delivered. To me this seems like a hell of a lot of things can go wrong! I'm sure they do too because I sometimes get other people's mail and they've gotten mine, or I don't get expected mail on time or even at all on occasions. Does anyone really know the entire process? Any postman musicians here? :D

Spudman
April 13th, 2007, 04:24 PM
From what I hear due to heightened security in the USA most mail is being x rayed now. Any metallic objects are pulled from the sort and held for up to 2 weeks until they are cleared. I hope you weren't expecting anything important and metal.:rolleyes:

aeolian
April 13th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Spudman, you information is interesting. I recently mailed a CD-R from Oregon to California via normal US mail and it took a whole week to get there. I wonder if what you talked about is causing extra delay.

Mark
April 13th, 2007, 08:04 PM
:eek: Ok I didnt get the memo or am I just outta the loop. I THOUGHT:confused: they picked up the mail then gave it to one of them Pony Express cowboy dudes at the Post office building and they take to the other guys post office? Are you all sayin they stopped this practice? When???:eek:

duhvoodooman
April 13th, 2007, 08:10 PM
From what I hear due to heightened security in the USA most mail is being x rayed now. Any metallic objects are pulled from the sort and held for up to 2 weeks until they are cleared. I hope you weren't expecting anything important and metal.:rolleyes:
You can be such a pain in the butt! ;) :D

Tone2TheBone
April 14th, 2007, 08:17 PM
You can be such a pain in the butt! ;) :D

Yes he can that's why I ignored that post! hahaha

Anyway I got my metal package Friday! I also got my wooden package today! Pics are forthcoming.

Tim
April 15th, 2007, 03:59 PM
So metal is stronger and faster than wood???

Mark
April 15th, 2007, 04:24 PM
So metal is stronger and faster than wood???

Depends on which horse the Pony Express dude is using that day.

Tim
April 15th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Good point. Since the metal package was delivered first, it maybe assumed it was not heavy metal.