PDA

View Full Version : Jimi Hendrix 2 String Bending Lick!

Robert
April 13th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Time for a new video lesson! This time, I am demonstrating how to play this cool sounding but challenging Jimi Hendrix style lick, where we do bends on two strings.

Jimi Hendrix String Bending Lick (http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/lesson-49.php)

I've heard Jimi play variations on this lick on several recordings, and it's one of my favourite blues licks of all the stuff I've learned over the (many) years!

Enjoy, and feel free to comment, download the clip, and spread the word to your friends!

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Great! That will be fun to try! Thanks as always.

jasongins
April 13th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Robet,

Thanks for that lesson. You show it nice and slow, several times through, and with lots of explanation of what strings to mute, etc. This is great for a beginner like me. I have to see something numerous times and work though it very slowly to begin with before I get the hang of it.

Jimi75
April 14th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Great job Robert. I bet there is tons of players out there who wonder how Jimi did this bending, as you hear it throughtout his playing very often.

The explanation and the slomotion playing really show how the trick works. Thanks for that, I wish I had someone like you showing it to me, don't know how long I tried until I discovered the secret.

Big_Rob
April 16th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Oooooh, Im going to have to try this when I get home!!!

Thanks Robert ;)

Robert
April 16th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Hey, glad to hear it's useful to someone! Have fun with it, and feel free to download and share the video with others.

Big_Rob
April 18th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Hey, glad to hear it's useful to someone! Have fun with it, and feel free to download and share the video with others.

Dude, once I got the hang of it, I was improvising all kinds of blues riffs :R

jasongins
April 27th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Robert,

Is it incorrect to perform the bend with the third finger on the 15th fret of the B string, and second finger already on the 14th fret of the G string? I find this a little easier to do and I make almost no string noise as I release the B string.

Robert
April 27th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Jasongins - nothing wrong with that! If it works for you, it is right. Believe you me - there are not really any right or wrong ways to play guitar. Do what works for you. That is my motto.

tremoloman
April 28th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks for that lesson. You show it nice and slow, several times through, and with lots of explanation of what strings to mute, etc. This is great for a beginner like me. I have to see something numerous times and work though it very slowly to begin with before I get the hang of it.Don't feel bad... I've been hacking at guitar for 12+ years now and it still takes me a long time to learn things that are out of my normal realm of riff playing.

Sometimes I find the easiest things to play can be the hardest - I know it sounds odd but it's true for me. I love the Cure song 'Untitled' off of 'Disintergration' and it took me forever to get the notes just right where I find the main riff to AC/DC's 'Thunderstruck' a piece of cake to play that my friends struggle with. Go figure.

Thanks for the lesson Robert! You know how much of a Jimi fan I am. I'm absorbing this lesson on a daily basis until I get it down pat. :)

You da man!

kerc
April 30th, 2007, 11:01 AM
This sounds sooooo sweet. :D I gotta learn this one. Thanks, Robert!

R_of_G
May 14th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Yep that one's a keeper. I have def heard Jimi play that lick. Thanks Robert!