PDA

View Full Version : DVM's Zonkin Yellow Screamer pedal

Mark
April 14th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Yesterday I recieved my ZYS from Duhvoodooman if your not aware these pedals are of his design based loosely on the TS 808 but taken to a new level and the height of perfection. The workmanship of this pedal and the internal circuit board is very clean and professional in it's layout and execution. Having built amps and servicing my own vintage amps, pedals like these are quite labor intensive as it is all on a very small tight layout.

How does it sound..well I wont bore you with nor is it my style to go on about the various sonic colors of the tonal timbre's and how the notes bloom into a warm smooth sweet sustain. I will tell you I love this pedal! I have a TS-9 I modified to original 808 spec and a Tonebone classic. (the Tonebone is on its way to Canada for warranty repair..bummer) The ZYS is the most versatile OD pedal I have used. The touted Landgraff pedal (which I have used) while nice doesnt have the versatility of the ZYS. The ZYS plays really well with my other pedals and sounds great with my all my amps and guitars. With an adjustable tone knob plus the rotary Gain/boost switch on top of the normal level and drive knobs then throw in a three position mode switch for the different clipping diodes you have and unreal choice of tone. From clean boost to full on cranked this little sucker does it all and goose it with another pedal and you have even more versatility. All I can say is Im very pleased with this pedal. DVH thank you very much, I know these were a lot of work but you can sure be proud of the end result! :DR

Tone2TheBone
April 14th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I don't think I could top Mark's comments as he explained the pedal's magic very well. I too am very pleased with the high fidelity sounds it produces. This pedal is very transparent and doesn't at all color the original tone of your amph...for this I am truly grateful! As Mark implied you can produce just about any tone and drive you can imagine. It's like having several of this planet's best overdrive pedals all in one...only this Zonkin' Screamer makes the best of the best sound better! Thank you Voodooman, you're brilliant!!!

duhvoodooman
April 15th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Geez, fellas, you're embarassing me with all that effusive praise! http://duhvoodooman.com/animgifs/blushemoticon.gif

Thanks very much for your kind comments and I'm glad to hear that your new Zonkin' Yellow Screamers have met your expectations!

Robert
April 19th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I just received mine! I will report back as soon as I can.

It smells like good ol' paint too - I love handmade stuff!

Mark
April 19th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Well folks say goodbye to Robert for a while. That little yeller box is addictive!

Tone2TheBone
April 19th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Rob - That was the very first thing that I noticed too when I opened the package was that wonderful scent of fresh pedal...I mean finish! Ahhhhhhhh Wait till you're on it, you won't eat....you won't go to the bathroom....you'll shut everyone out for hours. Have fun. :)

Robert
April 19th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I played it for a few minutes at lunch. It'a Zonkin' good! Wow, so many options! I used my '51 through my Hellhound, very nice, very nice... I almost got fuzz tones out of this babe.

I think I am in love all over again...

Tone2TheBone
April 19th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Dude go ahead and cry man we understand. LOL Told you!

Robert
April 20th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Hey VDM - the only complaint I have is the lack of a battery holder of some sort. I guess I'll stuff some foam around the battery just so it doesn't fly around too much and hurt dem thingy majjigas in thar.

Thanks A LOT for making such an insanely cool pedal! It so flexible, it's like having a whole bunch of pedals in one. Keeps a guy busy, ya know?

You rock, DVM!

Now, next thing we want is a Zonkin' vibe pedal! ;)

duhvoodooman
April 21st, 2007, 07:53 PM
Hey VDM - the only complaint I have is the lack of a battery holder of some sort. I guess I'll stuff some foam around the battery just so it doesn't fly around too much and hurt dem thingy majjigas in thar.

Thanks A LOT for making such an insanely cool pedal! It so flexible, it's like having a whole bunch of pedals in one. Keeps a guy busy, ya know?

You rock, DVM!

Now, next thing we want is a Zonkin' vibe pedal! ;)
What a coincidence! I'm looking at a souped-up version of BYOC's phaser kit which includes a switchable Univibe mod!

Good input on the battery thing. I never think twice about it because I never use batteries, but a lot of the world does. Will address that in future versions. Yeah, a little foam rubber packing material trimmed to shape would be what I'd use.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the ZYS's guys!!! :D :DR

Robert
April 23rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
I want one of those vibe babies if they sound good, DVM! Then how about an Octave Fuzz pedal? Haha - we can find ways to keep you busy!!

I have to tell you, shhh, it's a secret... the ZYS is da bomb! I love the sounds I can squeeze out of it. I love my Bad Monkey, but I think I may have spanked this monkey for the last time! I have a jam night on Wed, and poor monkey will have to stay home. I'm bringing my new yellow friend.

It's a screamer, DVM - thanks again for a fantastic pedal.

duhvoodooman
April 25th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Then how about an Octave Fuzz pedal? Haha - we can find ways to keep you busy!!
Well, what a coincidence! Check out one of BYOC's newest kits (http://www.buildyourownclone.com/ocatvefuzz.html)!

Robert
April 25th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Hmm, not sure I like the sound of that one that much.

Tone2TheBone
April 25th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I would like a Voodoo'ized Phaser. :)

SuperSwede
April 25th, 2007, 10:44 AM
The mighty mouse (a k a RAT) seems like a nice kit!

Robert
June 2nd, 2007, 05:19 PM
Which opamp do you guys prefer the most?

duhvoodooman
June 2nd, 2007, 05:35 PM
Of the four I included with the ZYS, I like the RP4558P and the LM833N. The latter is particularly good for single note stuff, and I like the former for chord work. Your mileage may vary!

My overall favorite TS opamp is one I came across after the initial bunch I tested--the TI TLC2272ACP. Better fidelity and note articulation than most, but still a nice smooth distortion sound that doesn't sound as sterile as some of the more expensive "high fidelity" opamps. I've had one of these in my personal ZYS for the better part of two months now. They go for $1.55 apiece at Mouser.com.

Spudman
June 2nd, 2007, 11:05 PM
Robert
I haven't even started switching mine around yet so I'm afraid I'm not able to say yet which I prefer.

sunvalleylaw
June 2nd, 2007, 11:31 PM
I got to see one today! I stopped by Spud's for a short visit between games while we were in his town for the kids' soccer tourney. Didn't get a chance to hear it in person though. Will have to make a follow up trip. It looked SO cool there in person. Nice job on the cosmetics DVM!

Saw some really cool guitars too! So many different tones just playing around with them acoustically. I picked out one or two I especially liked in the short time we had for playing around. Steve, thanks for letting us drop over!

SuperSwede
June 3rd, 2007, 05:15 AM
I got to see one today! I stopped by Spud's for a short visit between games while we were in his town for the kids' soccer tourney. Didn't get a chance to hear it in person though. Will have to make a follow up trip. It looked SO cool there in person. Nice job on the cosmetics DVM!

Saw some really cool guitars too! So many different tones just playing around with them acoustically. I picked out one or two I especially liked in the short time we had for playing around. Steve, thanks for letting us drop over!

You´ve been at the Spudmaster Holy Church of Guitars? You lucky man! I hope that you brought your camera!

sunvalleylaw
June 3rd, 2007, 08:16 AM
You´ve been at the Spudmaster Holy Church of Guitars? You lucky man! I hope that you brought your camera!
Only scratched the bare surface my man, and no, security did not allow me to bring in my camera. :p

ShortBuSX
June 3rd, 2007, 06:19 PM
Which opamp do you guys prefer the most?

Im on my third one so far...I used the 808 that came with mine, then I swapped it out for the TI RC4559P and then to what Im currently using, the "boutique" opamp(which has been in longest so far)....but so far I liked the RC4559P most. Its alot like the 808 opamp but less "chingy" sounding to me. Hope this makes some sense to someone.

I guess its time for me to try out the others now.

Robert
June 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
I just installed the RP4558P and I like it. It seems to make bigger tonal difference between the different rotary switch position, compared to the stock opamp. It's also more smooth sounding, the RP4558P.

ShortBuSX
June 4th, 2007, 06:47 AM
TI RC4558P is the opamp that Im currently using, that Id previously refered to as the boutique...my observations with this one is that its more of a plain ol boost, doesnt seem to add much crunch or grit...just boost.

For some reason I thought I had 2 more to try, guess its the TI TL072 next...I'll probably install it later this afternoon.

duhvoodooman
June 4th, 2007, 07:13 AM
I just installed the RP4558P and I like it. It seems to make bigger tonal difference between the different rotary switch position, compared to the stock opamp. It's also more smooth sounding, the RP4558P.
Yeah, that's a good one. The RP4558P is the opamp that Robert Keeley uses in his upgraded TS models, the best known probably being his "baked TS-9" mod. Until I obtained the TI TLC2272ACP, the RP4558P and it's "1st cuz", the RP4559P were pretty much a toss-up as my favorite TS opamps. I like their smoothness, too, Robert.

Will be interested to see what you think of the LM833N....

Robert
June 4th, 2007, 07:16 AM
DVM, I also thought it seemed like there with was less of a volume change when you set dip switch to "Hot" with the RP4558P, did you notice this?

duhvoodooman
June 4th, 2007, 07:18 AM
DVM, I also thought it seemed like there with was less of a volume change when you set dip switch to "Hot" with the RP4558P, did you notice this?
No, but that doesn't mean you aren't right! I'll have to check it out next time I'm swapping opamps around and see if I get that effect, too.

Robert
June 4th, 2007, 07:26 AM
You know what would be cool? If you could somehow move between the rotary switch positions as you play! I am always turning back and forth to see what tone I get - I would love to be able to do that live! Maybe if the knob head was really big, it could be turned with the foot?

duhvoodooman
June 4th, 2007, 07:36 AM
You know what would be cool? If you could somehow move between the rotary switch positions as you play! I am always turning back and forth to see what tone I get - I would love to be able to do that live! Maybe if the knob head was really big, it could be turned with the foot?
Oh-oh! New product concept coming through! The "ZYS Expresso", now with a bass rolloff expression pedal! I think that's probably beyond my meager skills, though. ;)

Seriously, maybe something could be done with the knob head. I'll have to think about that....

Spudman
June 4th, 2007, 07:56 AM
MXR makes those rubber knob covers so that you can change position with your feet. With the indent switch it might be tough. Same knob size though.

Tone2TheBone
June 4th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I'm digging the Texas Instruments 4558 in mine. It seems more high fidelity to me. I can't get over the amount of gain the Zonkin' produces. My favorite position is normal on the mini toggle and I'm usually on the upper end of choices on the gain/bass boost. Positions 4 and 5 mostly.

duhvoodooman
June 4th, 2007, 10:24 AM
In relative numbers, the max. gain for a stock TS-808 is 118. The ZYS max. gain is 110 on the "normal" gain settings (rotary positions 1 - 3), and 511 on the high gain settings (positions 4 - 6). That's 4.3 times as much available gain as the stock 808. :DR

Tone2TheBone
June 4th, 2007, 10:33 AM
In relative numbers, the max. gain for a stock TS-808 is 118. The ZYS max. gain is 110 on the "normal" gain settings (rotary positions 1 - 3), and 511 on the high gain settings (positions 4 - 6). That's 4.3 times as much available gain as the stock 808. :DR

Oh yeah it's awesome. I remember asking you to make mine better than the BM and well yeah it blew it out of the water in terms of hifi tone and gain.

ShortBuSX
June 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM

What about the Banshee...I dont have that option, huh?

duhvoodooman
June 4th, 2007, 12:42 PM
What about the Banshee...I dont have that option, huh?
Nope. You've got 118, period. Same as the TS-808.

Tone2TheBone
June 7th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Yeah, that's a good one. The RP4558P is the opamp that Robert Keeley uses in his upgraded TS models, the best known probably being his "baked TS-9" mod. Until I obtained the TI TLC2272ACP, the RP4558P and it's "1st cuz", the RP4559P were pretty much a toss-up as my favorite TS opamps. I like their smoothness, too, Robert.

Will be interested to see what you think of the LM833N....

The Texas Instrument opamp I'm using right now IS THIS chip right? It's in my pedal now so I can't see it. Tell us here what benefits the LM833N would offer?

duhvoodooman
June 7th, 2007, 09:46 AM
The Texas Instrument opamp I'm using right now IS THIS chip right? It's in my pedal now so I can't see it. Tell us here what benefits the LM833N would offer?
Not unless you bought it yourself. I didn't find the TLC2272ACP until after I bought the opamps for the four ZYS production run.

The four opamps that each of you received were:

JRC4558D (original spec TS-808 chip)
TI RC4558P (used in several boutique TS clones)
TI TL072IP (very popular TI opamp)
STM LM833N (low noise)

As indicated, the LM833N is a low noise opamp that is particularly suited to high gain applications. So when you crank the gain/bass rotary over to positions 4, 5 & 6, it should reduce some of the background noise and maintain note clarity a bit better.

Tone2TheBone
June 7th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Not unless you bought it yourself. I didn't find the TLC2272ACP until after I bought the opamps for the four ZYS production run.

The four opamps that each of you received were:

JRC4558D (original spec TS-808 chip)
TI RC4558P (used in several boutique TS clones)
TI TL072IP (very popular TI opamp)
STM LM833N (low noise)

As indicated, the LM833N is a low noise opamp that is particularly suited to high gain applications. So when you crank the gain/bass rotary over to positions 4, 5 & 6, it should reduce some of the background noise and maintain note clarity a bit better.

Well then where did Robert get RP from! Did he typo or did he buy one?

Robert
June 7th, 2007, 10:24 AM
There's a typo somewhere... TI RC4558P or TI RP4558P?

I only have the chips DVM sent me.

Tone2TheBone
June 7th, 2007, 10:29 AM
There's a typo somewhere... TI RC4558P or TI RP4558P?

I only have the chips DVM sent me.

Ok then it was a typo. We both should have the TI RC4558P...not a TI RP. I was just wondering if you got something different than what I got. Thanks for clarifying man.

duhvoodooman
June 7th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Yes, it's the TI RC4558P. I didn't catch that typo further up the page, and repeated it myself. It kind of gets to be "alphabet soup" with all these different opamp designations after awhile! :eek:

warren0728
June 7th, 2007, 10:41 AM
It kind of gets to be "alphabet soup" with all these different opamp designations after awhile!
"Alphabet Soup" - sounds like the name of the next great voodoo pedal!

ww

ShortBuSX
June 16th, 2007, 12:53 PM
TI RC4558P is the opamp that Im currently using, that Id previously refered to as the boutique...my observations with this one is that its more of a plain ol boost, doesnt seem to add much crunch or grit...just boost.

For some reason I thought I had 2 more to try, guess its the TI TL072 next...I'll probably install it later this afternoon.

Tried the TI TL072 this week...Id say its pretty clean and jazzy...Im going back through the opamp rotation and starting over again with the one that came in it(JRC4558D)...but its a toss up between that one and the TI RC4559P for me.