PDA

View Full Version : Windows/Office Outlook Info Needed

Tim
April 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I need some help from you Windows experts. Apple users need not apply or comment. LOL!

My computer is slowing down. Even MP3s and CDs seem not to play right. This would also impact any home recording that I want to practice with.

After looking through the registry files, I decided there is too much garbage in there. I have installed and un-installed so many programs and you really cannot deleted everything thing you load on a computer. There is always something left. This is done on purpose by the software companies. Norton is famous for this, as are others.

So what I want to do is reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows XP and add Office 2007. I have already transferred all my files to an external hard drive and I have written down what programs I presently use.

All that I want to save is my Outlook files, contact list and folders that I created in Outlook 2000. I was told there is a file or maybe two that you save. After re-installation, you just drag the file(s) back and everything is as it was.

Any help would be much appreciated.

SuperSwede
April 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I promise not to make any apple related comments...

I usually help out with my friends PC´s and this app has helped me a lot. A funky windows registry can cause all kinds of crazy problems.

http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/

And to reply to what you really asked, you can export you contacts to a file within the Outlook application. I think that you can export the mailbox/es as well. This seems to be a handy link for you:

http://ithome.dominican.edu/Training/Outlook/how2backupOutlook.asp

Tim
April 15th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks Super Swede - The PCTools link did not work properly. I tried cleaning up the Registry with another program, but it did not do the job.

But I did print out the instructions for exporting the Outlook file.

Thanks Apple guy!!!

stingx
April 15th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I need some help from you Windows experts. Apple users need not apply or comment. LOL!

My computer is slowing down. Even MP3s and CDs seem not to play right. This would also impact any home recording that I want to practice with.

After looking through the registry files, I decided there is too much garbage in there. I have installed and un-installed so many programs and you really cannot deleted everything thing you load on a computer. There is always something left. This is done on purpose by the software companies. Norton is famous for this, as are others.

So what I want to do is reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows XP and add Office 2007. I have already transferred all my files to an external hard drive and I have written down what programs I presently use.

All that I want to save is my Outlook files, contact list and folders that I created in Outlook 2000. I was told there is a file or maybe two that you save. After re-installation, you just drag the file(s) back and everything is as it was.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Try defragging the hard drive. Also, ditch Norton AV if you run it. It's a hog. It will really slow down your PC. Makes using it as a DAW a bad idea with Norton running. Install AVG Free and see if this helps your slowness issues.

SuperSwede
April 15th, 2007, 01:51 PM
I tried the link and it worked here! Ah well...
Another must have PC software is Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoft.com/
It removes trojans and other nasty stuff that could be lurking inside your computer!

You know, I COULD recommend a cure for your computer problems .... :rolleyes:

Justaguyin_nc
April 15th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I think this link might be what your looking to do Tim... also read the comments..

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_move_my_microsoft_outlook_contacts.html

Tim
April 15th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks for all who have provided input.

I removed Norton Firewall and Spy ware programs some time ago. I believe Tone was having difficulty removing it also. There is a program to help remove it; otherwise it just reinstalls itself over and over. That was not an easy task. Norton is a hog. Attempting to remove Weboot’s spy software is just as difficulty as Norton.

I already use Adware’s program along with Zone Alarm and AVG. I do not think I need both Zone Alarm and AVG. I am leaning towards Zone Alarm as my permanent firewall and spy ware program.

I was told by a friend that unless you are running a website or business, Window’s XP firewall is sufficient for an everyday home computer. Although Zone Alarm does allows for a personal control of what comes in or what goes out. I am not sure about Window’s XP firewall?

I tried to play Aeolian’s short clips and they play intermediate. My “task manager” tells me I am running at 100% performance at times when I play CDs, MP3s and other musical programs. So there must be a lot of “other stuff” running behind the scenes.

I will try the Outlook export programs suggested. I will save the files in 2 different directories on my external.

This week I will attempt to reformat the hard drive and start fresh. I will provide an update when completed. If I fail, I will use the lap top until the desk top is fixed.