PDA

View Full Version : Video lesson - Mary Had A Little Lamb (SRV)

Robert
January 11th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Check it out and let me know your comments. Not much talking on this one - I don't know how to verbally describe the "feel/groove". It's mostly in the right hand, and the muting of strings is mostly done with the left hand. Not sure if this lesson is all that helpful or not.

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons

Adam
January 11th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Good lesson Robert, i would like to learn this song, thanks for the video :)

Justaguyin_nc
January 12th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Nice one Robert (As Always They are helpfull) ... Hey what was the Amp Setup Like? And the Guitar Pickup? 's? Was this done with the New Tascam? How do you like the Recording setup now?

Robert
January 12th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I used the middle position on my '51. Amp was the AD50VT, I think it was the tweed 4x10 model. I turned down the volume knob a bit too, to remove some of the higher frequencies from the tone.

SuperSwede
January 12th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Very nice Robert!

Tim
January 12th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks Robert. Is there anyway I can slow it down so I can watch your fingers a little closer? It is jsut a tab to fast for me as a beginer. You also look as if you are doing what I call half chords.

Robert
January 12th, 2006, 05:40 PM
You can slow down any clip in Windows Media Player by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+S and back to normal with CTRL+SHIFT+N
What are half chords?
This is kind of playing isn't the best beginner stuff - I admit.

Tim
January 12th, 2006, 05:47 PM
From where I sit, it does not look like you playing a complete chord in the video. The first chord (“E” I presume) looks like a chord I do not know. The second (“A” I presume) also looks unfamiliar to me. The B7 I do recognize.

Robert
January 12th, 2006, 06:05 PM
The chords are all 7 chords. The first one is E7, but I'm not playing anything on the A string - my index finger is muting the A string. The reasoning behind this is so you don't have to move your hand and fingers much at all. The second chord is an A7 - like a normal A chord but with the 7 on top. I try to play stuff without moving my hand so much - I always strive for economy!

Tim
January 12th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Thank you Robert. I guess I need to learn this “economy” stuff. I have been watching your videos along with other DVDs and have noticed that process. I did not know what exactly was going on; hence, call them half cords or cheater chords. Is this knowledge from experience, jamming with others or self taught?

Robert
January 12th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Is this knowledge from experience, jamming with others or self taught?
I guess a bit of all of it :rolleyes: but mostly just from years playing - I'm self taught. Or rather, listening to and transcribing from good players is what taught me the most.

In my view, there are no cheater chords. If it sounds good, it is good :p
If you develop your own chord voicings and unusual sounding chords by accident or whatever, that's great! That means you are on your way to creating your own sound.

Tim
January 12th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I try to play stuff without moving my hand so much - I always strive for economy!

Watching you play using the above system must be the reason behind fast chord changes and also playing melody at the same time.

So much to learn and comprehend, so little time practice. I sure wish I was 40 years younger!

MagicBaller21
January 12th, 2006, 09:44 PM
thanks a lot Robert!! this is an awesome to add to my SRV arsenal!!! even though you sound wayy better than when i try to do it, im glad you do video lessons now. they are teh shiznat!