tot_Ou_tard
April 17th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I'd never heard of this before:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/

But yikes! $1,800.

arch23
June 25th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I'm reviving this subject, as I think it didn't get the proper attention:

They don't advertise (so the word is traveling but slower), build by hand (so there is a few lucky owners and a long waiting list) what seems to be the best multi effect/"amp simulator"/guitar computer ever.
The more I read about it, the more I'm amazed. Seems like a breakthrough to me. I'm even more impressed with the creator and his vision, because technology wise it was really just a question of time.
It's started as a one man idea, that became true. Cliff Chase started with some reverb simulation software, moved to amp simulation and ended up with the axe-fx. he didn't care about costs, marketing and other consideration companies had. so he put it a 500mhz dual core processor, the best a/d converters, LCD screen and a software he wrote for 3-4 years modeling different amps pre-amps, power amps, sag effects, dumping, mic's, cabinets, modulation, od pedals.
I only heard recordings and read about it, but there is quite a unison opinion - this is the ultimate modeler right now. nothing even comes close (makes sense if you think it's processor is 10 times faster than the best POD).
What can it do? full routing, 2 amps at the same time, pristine effects and modulations sounds, provide FEEL and DYNAMICS of a tube amp (partial list). The price is quite high -1750$, is high. But sounds it worth it, if what is written is true.
I can't give links to all the sources, but you can find the manual, recordings, user forums in the official site, youtube, etc.
Very Interesting to test it, very interesting to see what will the other companies do, a great time in history to play a guitar!

http://www.fractalaudio.com/
http://www.setbb.com/axefx/index.php
http://www.musicgearsource.com/fractal.html
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=axe-fx&search=
http://www.g66.eu/
http://www.axe-fx.com/

tot_Ou_tard
February 24th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I spend so much time playing through headphones that I'd get one in a hot second if I had the cash.

Glad to hear that Plank is happy playing out with his.

Plank_Spanker
February 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM
The FX is indeed magic, but not for technophobes. You need to really dig into the editing to get the most from it. The factory presets are more demos and starting points than true usable patches, but the editing process is intuitive and it doesn't take long at all to get comfortable with it. Your ears are your best tool for editing patches.

Expensive? Sort of...............................but not when you consider what demanding players are paying for high end and boutique gear. Considering that, my FX at $1500 is a bargain, but it's not "stand alone". If you intend to run it from the stage, you need a power amp. It can be run into the FX loop of an amp, but you need to keep in mind that the amp will color the sound and you'll need to adjust accordingly. The Axe FX is best served run from a neutral sounding power amp. or straight FOH through monitors. Let the amp and cab sims do their wonder.......................

If studio quality sound and hyper versatilty is what you seek, the Axe FX is your answer.

I'm head over heels in love with mine. I feel that my command of sound and tone has just left the bush leagues and stepped up to the big show.

Mine is going to its first gig this Saturday night. :D

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/100_1839.jpg

Riley
February 26th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I have the Ultra model, and had it a few month now. I have a very love/hate relationship with it. The tone and abilities of it are top shelf, nothing comes close. It had that tub amp response and feel to it which is a huge thing. BUT I end up sitting around tweeking everything so much and playing around with various things that it really takes me away from actually playing guitar. So for now I'm going to use it as a recording tool, not so much playing 'live' though it. A good tube amp, and a few of my favorite effects always does it for me just fine. :) I love the Axe-Fx, but I guess I'm just a more traditional guy in the end.

tot_Ou_tard
February 26th, 2009, 08:47 PM
It's not expensive for what it is, just for me. I just wank around at home.

Can you just park it on an amph sim & just pretend its a one channel amp?

That's how I'd use it. :D

Plank_Spanker
February 27th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I have the Ultra model, and had it a few month now. I have a very love/hate relationship with it. The tone and abilities of it are top shelf, nothing comes close. It had that tub amp response and feel to it which is a huge thing. BUT I end up sitting around tweeking everything so much and playing around with various things that it really takes me away from actually playing guitar. So for now I'm going to use it as a recording tool, not so much playing 'live' though it. A good tube amp, and a few of my favorite effects always does it for me just fine. :) I love the Axe-Fx, but I guess I'm just a more traditional guy in the end.

I'm more of a modeler guy. The Johnson amps I've been playing gigs with for the past eight years have spoiled me as far as versality goes.

I can definitely see where people can get lost in endless tweaking - the FX is deep. I have nine patches tweaked and loaded to see me through the gigs, and all I need to tweak right now is the levels and EQ's. That will take a couple of gigs to dial in tight.

But I haven't played with my Midisport and the Editor yet................:D

The FX really is the tool I've been seeking for years - a modeler that allows vast user input, and sounds great - no fizz, no "can of bees", true tube response and feel, and world class effects.

Plank_Spanker
March 1st, 2009, 08:08 AM
Played my first gig last night with the FX rig and I'm ecstatic. It was the best live sound I've ever had. :D My homework paid off - I didn't need any EQ changes, and I only needed to tweak the level of one patch.

I was happy with the sound at home and at the rehearsal, but I got to open the rig up a bit at the gig and I was continually amazed at the sound coming from it.

The Axe FX truly is the real meal deal. My Johnsons are now officially retired.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/100_1840.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
March 1st, 2009, 08:41 AM
Very cool Plank! Are you going to record us some clips?

Was that gig in a 7-11?

Plank_Spanker
March 1st, 2009, 08:46 AM
Very cool Plank! Are you going to record us some clips?

Was that gig in a 7-11?

I might get around to recording some clips if I ever get my recording gear together.

It's not a 7-11. The bar is at the back end of a package store.

tot_Ou_tard
March 1st, 2009, 09:24 AM
I might get around to recording some clips if I ever get my recording gear together.

It's not a 7-11. The bar is at the back end of a package store.
Ahhh.

Here's Dweezil Zappa reportedly playing Eruption through an AXE-FX straight to FOH.

FTFY9C4xCCE

just strum
March 1st, 2009, 09:29 AM
My Johnsons are now officially retired.

There are pills for that.

tot_Ou_tard
March 1st, 2009, 09:32 AM
How does that Mackie 1400i work withe the AXE-FX?

1400 watts? You could blow the roof off of that bar & shatter all the bottles.

Plank_Spanker
March 1st, 2009, 02:55 PM
How does that Mackie 1400i work withe the AXE-FX?

1400 watts? You could blow the roof off of that bar & shatter all the bottles.

I'm running into 4 ohms - stereo, so the Mackie will deliver about 500 watts per side dimed out. I could certainly split skulls with it (and blow the speakers in the cab), but I keep it tamed with the volumes around 10 o'clock and the FX's output around 11 o'clock - loud enough to have plenty of punch and drive, but not ludicrously loud. The power amp isn't even breaking a sweat. I certainly could have bought a more reasonable power amp, but the Mackie was sitting at the house gathering dust and using it wasn't a stretch.

TONS of very clean headroom........................:rockon:

tot_Ou_tard
March 1st, 2009, 04:10 PM
Sounds sweet Plank.

Plank_Spanker
March 11th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I've been fooling around with the PC editor and the Axe Exchange patch library today. Very cool.................................midi interface from the computer to the Axe and I can edit patches from my PC and/or download other user's patches from the Axe Exchange. Why do all of the patch creation when someone else already has and uploaded it to the Axe Exchange? :D

hubberjub
March 11th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Played my first gig last night with the FX rig and I'm ecstatic. It was the best live sound I've ever had. :D My homework paid off - I didn't need any EQ changes, and I only needed to tweak the level of one patch.

I was happy with the sound at home and at the rehearsal, but I got to open the rig up a bit at the gig and I was continually amazed at the sound coming from it.

The Axe FX truly is the real meal deal. My Johnsons are now officially retired.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/100_1840.jpg

Are you playing in a grocery store?

Plank_Spanker
March 11th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Are you playing in a grocery store?

No. It's a bar. The front end of it is package..................hence the coolers.

tot_Ou_tard
March 12th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I've been fooling around with the PC editor and the Axe Exchange patch library today. Very cool.................................midi interface from the computer to the Axe and I can edit patches from my PC and/or download other user's patches from the Axe Exchange. Why do all of the patch creation when someone else already has and uploaded it to the Axe Exchange? :D Do you find that when you download a patch that it's immediately useful or do you have to further tweak it to match your guitar & tastes?

Plank_Spanker
March 12th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Do you find that when you download a patch that it's immediately useful or do you have to further tweak it to match your guitar & tastes?

I usually have to tweak them a bit, especially if the patch was developed using cab sims. I don't use them. For the most part, it's just setting the EQ's.

tot_Ou_tard
April 6th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Does it do rich, expressive cleans to slight breakup well?

O...& was that gig in a Wawa :D ?

Plank_Spanker
April 12th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Does it do rich, expressive cleans to slight breakup well?

O...& was that gig in a Wawa :D ?

It does cleans on the edge of breakup nicely, but it takes careful choice of amps and some patience to tweak it to your individual rig. I downloaded a patch from the Axechange that does that with a sweet chorus.

Wawa? Been doing your homework I see..........................:D

Nah, it was a liquor store / bar that I used to work at.

tot_Ou_tard
April 12th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Soooo...ummmmm....was that gig in a MiniMart?