PDA

View Full Version : What I learned..

LagrangeCalvert
April 19th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Our band has a really funky sound....kinda bluesy, with rock and indy influences. The bassist and I (guitar player of course...and lead vocalist) have a mutual friend that plays keys. Im a pretty accomplished guitarist (19 years now) and our bassist has been playing for quite some time too. We sound good but dayem.... I didn't even realize what a little organ and piano could do for our sound..... the sound was so thick (with the Hammond organ and the triton tube driven keys) and full I want keys all the time now....

You others might be like "duh dumbass....keys are awesome" but I was always afraid of having a key's player in the band of fear of screwing up the chemistry in the band..... man I learned my lesson. Sidenote: I played in contemp. church bands w/keys in highschool 7 years ago and thought it was gay.... stupid me.

Anyone else have a similar "I learned this helps out with my music" experience?
If so TELL US fretters!:DR

Spudman
April 19th, 2007, 07:25 AM
You got pretty lucky. Most of my experiences have been with keyboardists that don't need a band around. They realize they have 10 fingers and use them all the time, too much in fact. That has been my experience. They over play. It leaves little room for anyone else to contribute. They can double bass lines, vocal melody, and comp chords wiping out the rhythm guitar.

Count your blessings if you have a player that supports the music tastefully and still leaves room for others to play.

Jimi75
April 19th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Man, I made bad bad experiences with keyboard players. They never really fit in the band context. Our keyboard player doodled all the time and he couldn't accept that he had no certain solo spot in each song. We kicked him and fomr there on it was like being able to breath again.

LagrangeCalvert
April 20th, 2007, 12:39 AM
he only overplays a tad......not too much.....we mainly use his abilities to thicken up the sound.....and since Im the only guitarist in the band....he can hold down a rhythm section. we were just blunt with him like this: "If we don't need keys in a song..... we will tell you".