PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Classic 30 redesigned?

M29
April 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Hello,

I am seriously thinking about selling my Vox ad50vt for an all tube amp around 30/50 watts.
I have heard nothing but good for the Peavey Classics and wondered if the new redesigned classics were a let down or are still as good as the previous version?

Any insght on this?

I want a nice tube amp around the 400 dollar range? Any suggestions I will even consider an older Fender that may need some repair. I want a nice clean sound like a Fender.

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

Robert
April 20th, 2007, 03:59 PM
You could get a used Fender Deluxe Reverb. 22 watts of pure heaven. The Hot Rod Deluxe has some great clean tones too.

Or a Reverend Hellhound/Kingsnake.

I guess those may be just over your budget, but not by much.

M29
April 20th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks Robert, I am so confused. I have been looking for quite a while now and there are a lot of very nice amps in that range but I don't know what to do. I want a super clean Fender clean but then again I want to be able to drive the tubes hard at lower levels. I suppose I can do that with a pedal but there is nothing like doing it with the amp. Then again I have my Valve Junior for the low level playing. Shoot maybe a ratted out Marshall 50 watt would do it if I could find one cheap enough. But that is not Fender clean although I do like the Marshall sound.

It is so confusing, I don't know what to do...

Thanks for the help Robert.
M29

Robert
April 20th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Why don't you get a nice clean Fender tube amp? It's nice to have lots of headroom in an amp for big clean tones. As you say, you still have the Epi Valve Jr to get cranked tones out of.

You can never go wrong with a good Fender amp. I'd stay away from the bigger Fenders like Twins though (unless you are giggin), because those you wanna crank up a bit to get a good tone, and man they get LOUD!

sunvalleylaw
April 20th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I played the new C-30 in GC, and I think it compared fine. I did not have the two side by side to truly compare. But, I think it is more of a looks thing, plus I they added a tube guard, and maybe something to cure tube rattle, which can occur. Ebay has good used C-30s for around $300 (plus or minus) plus shipping all the time. I got mine on Craigslist in excellent shape for $300 plus shipping from SLC. I think the C-30 is a really excellent option in the price range and would not hesitate to recommend it. Does clean really well and warm, and can dirty up just fine. Can do anything from clean up to good, hard, rock, but doen't really do true metal from what I understand. The only metal I have played is Robert's Back in Black lesson, which, other than the faults in my playing, sounds fine through the amph. I tried out a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and it was really nice. But for my purposes, the C-30 for a good deal less was the way to go. The difference went into pedals and such. :DR It sounds good clean at low volumes too. Clean channel, set at 3, use the guitar to control volume. (got that approach from Sr. Spud!)

M29
April 21st, 2007, 08:58 AM
Hello,

How would the Classic 30 do with a band as far as being loud enough with a fairly loud drummer? I have two 12 inch speakers I can add. I am really interested in this amp:D

M29

sunvalleylaw
April 21st, 2007, 03:47 PM
I don't play in a band so can't help you there. I do think it gets really loud though and should be able to keep up with a drummer. Here are a couple links to old threads discussing the amp in detail, and the second I know includes some nice clips from StingX using just his guitar and the amp.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=922&highlight=peavey

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1828&page=4&highlight=peavey

I think the comments indicate it is loud enough for band use.

Oh, and to be clear, when I am playing at home, I usually set the amp on clean channel, volume at 3, and add a Boss DS-1 and a Bad Monkey, or sometimes just the monkey. Then I use the guitar volume to control my volume. That is the approach I got from Spud. I think Tone may do it most of the time opposite, dirty channel, amp turned up quite a bit, no pedals, and using the volume knob on the guitar. Backing off the volume to clean it up. I have not used that method much yet and may have it wrong. Tone, let me know if I have that wrong. I think StingX is a mostly a guitar straight into amph guy too.

stingx
April 22nd, 2007, 05:11 PM
Hello,

How would the Classic 30 do with a band as far as being loud enough with a fairly loud drummer? I have two 12 inch speakers I can add. I am really interested in this amp:D

M29

The C30 is more than capable of of competing against the loudest of drummers. I have never had an issue in this regard.

The C30 is an animal. Without any mods other than a complete tube swap to JJs, I can get great tonal variation from it. The sweet spot on the clean channel is around "5" where the tube break up will make you melt. Push it a bit harder and use your volume control knob to go from beautiful cleans to in your face growl.

M29
April 23rd, 2007, 05:30 AM
Thanks guys, I had not got to a search on this yet and this is very helpful. I am now sold on the Classic 30 I just have to decide if I should get an older version or if a new one will be good enough. I don't know if I will trade my Vox in or sell it. It is always better to sell outright and that is probably what I will do.

Thanks again all.

M29

M29
April 23rd, 2007, 01:08 PM
Someone has a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for sale out by me for 375.00. Do you think I should look into this? I will give them a call tonight to get more info. I have heard mixed reviews on this amp. Any thoughts?

Thank you
M29

Tone2TheBone
April 23rd, 2007, 01:11 PM
I'll say it again....the Classic 30 is a neat little sucker. It's loud enough and it has surprisingly good tone. If all you had was $300 or $400 bones to play with and you found one for that price, go for it.

M29
April 23rd, 2007, 01:29 PM
I think I will stick with the Peavey. I found a guy with a Classic 30 for 350.00 but it was not on ebay it was on a craigs list. I am not sure about buying from him, I never bought off of a Craig's list, I would like to have more of a guarantee. Has anyone bought like this?

M29

Tone2TheBone
April 23rd, 2007, 01:39 PM
I have not bought off of Craigslist but I just recently sold a fly rod for $300 using it. Ask to do business with Pay Pal just as you would on an Ebay auction and things should go smoothly. Email the dude several times and ask him for pics etc....even if his ad already had pics. Ask again. Good communication should make it a good deal.

sunvalleylaw
April 23rd, 2007, 01:49 PM
I think I will stick with the Peavey. I found a guy with a Classic 30 for 350.00 but it was not on ebay it was on a craigs list. I am not sure about buying from him, I never bought off of a Craig's list, I would like to have more of a guarantee. Has anyone bought like this?

M29

That is how I bought mine. Craigslist from SLC, about a 4.5 hour drive. I paid with paypal. My item was delivered on time and in excellent condition. I had corresponded in detail with the guy first, seeing lots of pics and discussing packaging, etc. From our communication, I could tell the guy was a true guitar enthusiast and tone freak. He had purchased a Vox AC30 and did not need the Peavey. I got a good feel and went for it.
I am not exactly sure what the protection is on paypal when it is craigslist and not ebay. I think there is some. I did not have to find out though. I am sure you will love the C30. I had debated between getting the AD50VT and the Peavey. I do not regret getting the C30 at all! If I add a smaller or extra amp, or when my son needs one, I may consider getting an AD30VT. :DR

Spudman
April 23rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
Someone has a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for sale out by me for 375.00. Do you think I should look into this? I will give them a call tonight to get more info. I have heard mixed reviews on this amp. Any thoughts?

Thank you
M29

Get both! The HRD has a little more swat and higher clean headroom if you need it. If not you will be quite happy with the C30. I have both and use them accordingly.

More breakup at lower volume - C30.
Fender shimmer and sparkly clean headroom - Hot Rod Deluxe
Best of both worlds - get both.

M29
April 23rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
Hello,

I just wrote the guy on the 30 and asked for pics and where he lived and what condition it is in. There was nothing listed with it I have no idea what it is like. I did not get that good a feeling with him. He wrote my first email back and said yeah you can have it for 350 and no other info. You think he would give me a little speel or something...

On another note I can get a display model combo at the local GC for 500.00. I have 400 so I would have to put it in layaway but I might go that way. I just don't know what was redesigned on the new models. They advertise the chassis as redesigned but is that with cheap integrated tube sockets and cheaper hardware? I can't imagine a redesign that would be in he consumers favor. I like the idea of getting new one though.

M29

Tone2TheBone
April 23rd, 2007, 03:34 PM
What about Ebay have you checked there? I would seriously wait for one on Ebay. If you don't have a good gut feeling from that guy on Craigslist follow your instincts. Don't spend too much on the Classic I know you can get one for $300 or so just be a little patient.

Also check out the other Classic 30s listed on Craigslist there are a couple more of them out there right now.

stingx
April 24th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Craigslist is local. Why not make arrangements to see it and if you like it after inspecting then buy it. Some people are not good at selling their stuff or just can't be bothered to hype the sale. That's how most people are. I deal with North Jersey Craigslist transactions all the time. I actually prefer it over Ebay...no shipping and most of the time a cash transaction on the cheap. If you need to, bring a more experienced person along to inspect it.

Tone2TheBone
April 24th, 2007, 04:33 PM
He might have seen a C30 from another city it sounds like. All the better if you found one locally. Take sting's advice and ask to check it out in person. If you did a google search for it and they're from other cities then keep asking questions for pics and info. Which one of the C30s are you interested in...where is it?

M29
April 24th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Hello all,

Well I happened to check out the Hot Rod Deluxe that was in town here and I ended up getting it. I got it for 25 dollars less so I felt better about that.
At this point I really like it! I now have my Fender clean with reverb. I know it takes a while before you really get to know an amp so we will see how I like it in a few weeks.
I need to clean the thing up some. It has some typical ground in grunge and the grill cloth is pretty good but a tad yellow. I like fixing old things up and this is like getting a new hot rod to work on. I will play it for few days and then tear it all apart to clean and inspect it.

Here are a few shots of it.

http://www.qix.net/~lmjbo/hrd1.jpg

http://www.qix.net/~lmjbo/hrd2.jpg

http://www.qix.net/~lmjbo/hrd3.jpg

Not sure when it was built yet but the pcb board has 1996.

Ooooh I gotta go play it some more....

M29

Spudman
April 24th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Congratulations! I'm sure you'll like your new amph very much.

Word of advise: That amph has the input (1&2) jacks soldered to a circuit board. Sometimes if there is extra stress on them when a cable is plugged in the solder can crack of break causing a loss of input signal. Just be careful not to stress the input jacks.

sunvalleylaw
April 24th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Man, that thing looks SWEET! Congrats!

Tone2TheBone
April 24th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I've heard some nice tones from those amps M. Good score and congrats! Does the amp come with an effects loop for your new reverb pedal?