PDA

View Full Version : About to launch a new guitar player!

Plank_Spanker
April 23rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
My next door neighbor's son is a freshman in a high school. His dad told me today that he's been banging around on an old POS acoustic and has asked for a guitar to learn on. I'm going to lend him one of my Ovations for him to get started on, with the caveat that I'm not an instructor, but I'll certainly help him out.

I'm restringing it right now, so he'll a have a properly set up acoustic to play.

I told his father - "Watch out. Some of us have never outgrown playing and are still at it thirty odd years later". :D

sunvalleylaw
April 24th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Way to go Plank! Keep it moving forward!

tot_Ou_tard
April 24th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Ummm...Planker, I'm just starting to learn how to play the guitar...:o & umm...:o ;)

Plank_Spanker
April 27th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Well, I sweetened the deal.....................................

I told the young lad that if he shows some progress on the acoustic and wants to get into electric playing, I will give him my Yamaha AES820.

I hope the bug bites him. It would be cool to have another guitar player right next door. :D

tremoloman
April 29th, 2007, 07:30 AM
I did a similar thing... a buddy of mine who wants to learn guitar just had a new Fullerton delivered to his door today. He called me and told me he loved it BUT... he's a lefty! Damn! How was I to know?

I'm trying to decide if its worth restringing backwards a la Jimi or maybe that would just confuse the poor guy?

WackyT
April 29th, 2007, 07:38 AM
The lefty Fullerton Standard Strat is only $50 at Music123.com.

EDIT: Looks like they're out of stock on those. The Deluxe Pack (http://www.music123.com/Fullerton-Deluxe--Pack-3a-Left-Handed--Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-(Closeout)-i228738.music) at $99 with the same guitar is still available. That's what I got, and love it. :)