PDA

View Full Version : My "Brand New" Axe!

LagrangeCalvert
April 23rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
Well......after two months my pups are in, and as soon as I got them opened I put them in and started cranking away! Heres the pics then I will give you all explanations and a review of what it sounds like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/plaidburybunny/070123135s.jpg

This Is a pic of my guitar NOW....before it had two tex-mex pups - one in the middle and one in the neck with the JB mini in the bridge. Before this guitar was good but just like every other SSH strat. So I swapped out the two tex-mex and moved the JB to the middle and put the QP's on the ends. These pups along with the saddle/nut/string tree and the Neck on volume push pull pot, I can put my other guitars in the closet for a long long time.

I will start by telling you what I was playing this "new" guitar through:
Kustom 32 coup 1x12.

I will start with the pups and then tell you which amp and which amp channel ect.

Neck only/32/Clean: Guttural lows,Punchy mids and mellow highs, and tons of sustain
Neck only/32/DIrty: So much crunch.....but more clarity than you would ever imagine, super touch sensitive.
Neck&Middle/32/Clean: Im impressed on both amps - it has strat spank, and I cannot place why. In fact is sounds so spanky and quacky you almost have to roll off the treble.
Neck&Middle/32/Dirty: With drive low or high, it has BITE! Crazy amounts of bite and spank with lots of overtones.
Middle/32/Clean:One word, Jazzy with warmth and not a bit muddy. Compared to when this pup was in the bridge it was the grind monster. Bite,Harmonix, and sustain. This pups character completly changed and I love it now more than I ever did. It doesn't have the gain boosting qualities it had before and Im almost glad. Awesome rhythm pup now whereas before it was purely a lead pup.
Middle/32/Dirty: Its haunting with a little fuzz. Kinda like the song Killer Queen by Queen. Great if your going for that rolled off Bucker sound. AND if you actually roll the treble off its almost Mustang sounding with out of phase in the neck and the tone pot turned down. Sooooooooooooooooo warm its scary.
Mid&Bridge/32/Clean:Well, I do believe there is a Tele stuck in my Strat. It sounds EXACTLY like a tele bridge pup, Nuff said.
Mid&Bridge/32/Dirty: This is the greatest....If I EVER have to cut through the mix, this is the setting. More bite than a great white!
Bridge/32/Clean:Bite, clarity, and sustain. Its like a Texas Special on even more steroids! Its almost too much....bah...no such thing! If its too much just roll down the volume a bit.
Bridge/32/Dirty: OMFG, imagine the HOTTEST kinda Active pup you could get...make it into a passive single coil.You get that searing lead sting...in a single coil package and tone. You can turn down the gain on your lead channel dooowwwwn, and get the classic SC bridge tone, or leave it up and get that same tone supercharged to the tenth power! Awesome.
Bridge&Neck/32/Clean:Now thats your standard strat neck/mid tone, quacky but with not too much bite, I love it.
Bridge&Neck//32/Dirty: Again your classic strat quack, but with more bite and sustain than normal with fuzz channels.
All pups/32/Clean: FULL, thats the only real way you could describe the tone - nuff said.
All pups/32/Dirty: I gotta say its the only pup position that doesn't sound too good fuzzed up. Its muddy and boomy. I don't know. I have to do somting about itl

This is by far my favorite guitar. I put the pups in then went to the basement and plugged it into the 32....tommorw it gets plugged into the Delta Blues 1x15", and I am anticipating going to the practice pad. Its deff. a dream come true.

Once Theese are on the guitar it will be complete!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/plaidburybunny/070123138.jpg

Heres a full image of the guitar with me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/plaidburybunny/070123137.jpg

sunvalleylaw
April 23rd, 2007, 08:20 PM
Hey, very, very cool! Thanks for the pics and details!

Robert
April 23rd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Hey, your basement is even messier than mine! :)

So what pickups are you talking about? Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders?

It sure look sweet! Is it a MIM or American?

LagrangeCalvert
April 23rd, 2007, 08:37 PM
Im talking about both the JB and the two QP's. It started its life as a 50's MiM strat all original parts (which is a great guitar to began with) - this strat plays and is built as well as a US made strat. Its a 2 piece body and the neck is a rock hard tinted maple. If you read my review you can see what all else is done.

Jimi75
April 24th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Great work. Looks like you have created a monster there and I bet that you will never ever give this guitar away!

When I saw the pu my first thought was "Richie Texmore" :-)

:)

Keep on rockin' - the instrument looks perfect!

SuperSwede
April 24th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Its looking really really good! I love that blue finish!

kerc
April 24th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Great-lookin' axe, man. :)

duhvoodooman
April 24th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Love the look, and it sounds like the tones are right where you want them to be. Bet you're gonna love it through the DB! :eek: :DR

Sblack
April 24th, 2007, 10:27 AM
That Strat is too cool looking. And to put the JB in the middle is genius. Maybe you can record/post some tones using the different positions?

LagrangeCalvert
April 24th, 2007, 09:32 PM
yeah.....I played it at practice tonight with the delta blues and its official; I really dont need another guitar. Im tearing it apart next week, and its gonna be the sickest strat evar! I was really diggin the bridge/middle pos. during practice. We had a guest guitarist at practice and he brought his tele....it pissed him off sooo bad when he heard that tone. But my next upgrade - the other main reason for this setup - is putting in the DC resistance cut that came as an option with theese pups. It cuts the DC Res. from 14.2 (the QP) to 8.5; almost like a coil tap so you can a vintage tone out of em....combine that with the coil tap on the JB and I will have more tonal options...

The main reason for wanting this setup is so I can run it most the time at the vintage or vice versa, and use the cut/full as a boost or clean sweep. And the ability to mix/match vintage/uber single coil tone/Humbucker tone will have me in heaven! As soon as I can I will get some video and sound up.

The other fav tone of mine with this guitar was the JB by itself....its got that warm rolled off bucker tone now...and then you can roll it back more. I did that and put some trem on it....really unique tone.