PDA

View Full Version : Review:LOTR Symphonie concert

Jimi75
April 24th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Well folks, what I have musically experienced on last Saturday can hardly be put into words.

My wife and I had tickets for the Lord Of The Rings symphonie concert, where a 150 person orchestra performed 2,5 hours of the opriginal score written by Howard Shore.

We had a beautiful day in Cologne and visited the Dome. Arriving at the arena, 8000 people gathered and partied. The audience was so mixed that it reached from Hobbits to Elbs and from poeple who wear smokings to Heavy Metal freaks. A nice bunch of people.

The concerto was supported by a huge screen that showed the original hand drawn sketches for the movie. (see the pictures - not taken by me)

We had seats in the 4th row and I have never erver before experienced such dynamic in music. After the first takes we had tears in our eyes. We couldn't believe that it was real what those guys were playing. The conductor was full of passion and lived through every single moment. The timing was unbelievable, if I imagine how Joe Normal excercises with a metronom...I speak about real timing and perfection. I always had prejudices against orchestra musicians, as I thought that they play like robots and if a fly shits on their notesheet they would even play this "note". Absolutely wrong! The first violin player played so emotionful and instinctive that I was overwhelmed by her performance. The classical singer sang typical opera style but in the Elbish language - it was clean and no false notes, you could see her using professional singing technique and she expressed all those feelings in such a beutiful way. There was also three choirs of approx. 60 people in total and a guitar player (yeahhhh!!!) who looked pretty heavy with long long hair and a concerto, 12-string guitar and a mandolin.

I could go on writing for hours, but I would like to put it in a nutshell.

These were real pros and I have never ever heard music that was a) more emotionful/touching and b) performed more passionate.

If you have never been to a classical concert, I can only recommend you to do go to one as soon as possible.

Tone2TheBone
April 24th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Cool review Mr. Frodo!