PDA

View Full Version : look what I bought :)

tiefnig
April 25th, 2007, 01:58 AM
So, my band has been having a really successful time.
We had 2 gigs at school, which were huge (around 1000 people).
then 2 weeks after the second gig we saw something about a talentshow in the newspaper, we pretty much had crappy equipment. Except for my other 2 guitar players we had nothing good, so this is what we all got:

guitar/singer: american strat upgrade (had it before) + hot rod deluxe (before)
rythm guitar: american tele upgrade (had before) + hot rod deluxe (before)
me: behringer v-ampire ---> ENGL screamer 50
guitar 4:AXL 50 watt SS amp ---> Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50
Bass: Fender Jaguar Bass + Carvin head/cab
drum: same shizz :)

Well, so about 1 week before the Talentshow me and my other guitarplayer got some tube amps. We practiced really hard and won. now we get to go to the finals and we have 3 big local gigs now. Not to bad for the 3rd gig :D
We play "vintage" music, we do cover songs in our own style, think of:
Tom Petty, the Rollings Stones, CCR, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd.
all the good 'ol bluesy rock music. The people go NUTS when they hear those tunes, I guess they love the old rock/blues music.
So, to the amp, here it is:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k249/nick89_89/DSC00032.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k249/nick89_89/DSC00028.jpg

You have to buy the floorboard, it doesn't come with the amp. It's a tank though.

Pretty much everything is amazing about it.
Clean channel: Sounds sweet cranked. Close to Hot Rod Deluxe
Crunch channel: Nice, bluesy distortion, roll down the volume knob, nice crunchy rythms. Just like you want it.
"Soft" Lead channel: soft is kinda the wrong word... it sounds close to a marshall, but with that ENGL touch, much better IMO, I always hated the JCM 800 in the music shop tbh, but this, even though it comes close to it, but is very different is much better IMO.
Heavy Lead Channel: I play metal. I do play blues, but I play metal too. I think you guys won't be interessted in this but it gives you a nice smooth distortion, with really good clarity on the neck pickup and screams with the bridge pickup. Amazing heavy sounds. I would describe the sound a little towards "80's Thrash Metal", that is exactly what I wanted.
It is modern, but somehow reminds me of that.

It also has a built in volume boost for solos, so no need for a pedal.

Reverb is great.

It's heavier than the Hot Rod Deluxe and the Kettner, but it doesn't matter.
Soundwise, IMO and in the opinion of the band it is a winner.
When it comes to amps and guitars my plan is simple this is what I want:

Guitar + cable + amp. I reached my goal :D

No need for effects, it has everything you need. Up to now I got every sound I wanted out of it. It can be bluesy as hell.
If you have time, take a look at it. It's the german Mesa, it takes A LOT of time to find a good sound though. The tone is very unique IMO, especially the heavy lead tone.
If you have questions, feel free to ask.
I'm using a MIM strat and a Ibanez RGT42DX with the Dimarzio Air Norton/x2n combo through it (the ibanez can do blues, which is amazing)

I hope it will help you guys in case someone is interessted in buying one. All I can say is that it's a winner.

The next thing I will get (as soon as I start working) will be a MIA Telecaster, which will take about another year.

SuperSwede
April 25th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Ohhh ENGL! You are in good company, Mr Blackmore is a big ENGL fan these days (as well as many other fine guitarists!)... Congrats :)

tiefnig
April 25th, 2007, 02:06 AM
thx man. The screamer is similar to the blackmore head.
It needs the same footswitch and my musicteacher (had it for about 1,5 years) said it's not much different. Blackmore is amazing, I've been listening to more Deep Purple stuff these days. I just got the In Rock album.

Jimi75
April 25th, 2007, 03:06 AM
I recently checked tis amp and it is on top of my wish list!!!!
A great buy.

tiefnig
April 25th, 2007, 03:11 AM
I recently checked tis amp and it is on top of my wish list!!!!
A great buy.

wait 'till you have it at home. You have time to play with it and the tone will be even more amazing :D

Robert
April 25th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Congrats - I bet that one rocks big time.

M29
April 25th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Hello tiefnig,

I don't know anything about the ENGL, (I have been out of it for a long time until recently) but from what you describe it sounds like a nice amp!

All the best with your amp and gigs!

M29

duhvoodooman
April 26th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Sweetness!!! I've read great things about those! Congrats! :DR :DR :DR

warren0728
April 26th, 2007, 05:20 AM
looks great....we need clips! :DR

ww

sunvalleylaw
April 26th, 2007, 06:49 AM
I don't know anything about them except Jimi was looking at an Engl, but it looks just solid! Congrats!

Riley
April 26th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Awesome amps!!!! Congrats!!!! Clips!!!! :)

tiefnig
April 28th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Awesome amps!!!! Congrats!!!! Clips!!!! :)

no mic. I might be getting a SM57 soon. I'll post clips then.

Brian Krashpad
April 28th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Cool. Congrats! From its size and model number, I'm guessing it's a 50w 1x12?

Also from the appearance, bought new. How much did it set you back?

tiefnig
May 8th, 2007, 06:02 AM
It was about 1000 euros with the midi board. I now the guy at the store, i got it much cheaper. Yes, it is 50 watts all tube, 1x12. celestion vintage 30 speaker :D I love it.