View Full Version : Ok, Lets do a poll

Big_Rob
April 26th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Jimi's best song ever???

Machine Gun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV74PsUo1dc

Tone2TheBone
April 26th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I've always like Jimi's humor and his little inside jokes. Machine is pretty dang close to being his "best" I would also agree.

Big K
April 26th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Gypsys were a tight little group, heck of a sound man......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_Gypsys

Jimi75
April 26th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Oh Big Rob,

What a poll.....Jimi had so many best songs, but machine gun is a very very good one. I used to listen to it over and over when I was training for a marathon some years ago. At that time I still had a walkman with casettes and I put machine gun on a 90 minute tape - means it was full with machine gun....enough said?

ShortBuSX
April 26th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Im hardly wanna touch this topic...But, the song starts out beautifully...but then the hammer happy screatching solo looses all that raw emotion at the beginning...it harshes my mellow dude.

Now Little Wing...thats his BEST!
But what do I know? I wouldnt know good music if it bit me in the butt. :rolleyes:

Big_Rob
April 26th, 2007, 02:51 PM
No one wants to vote in my obviously biased poll? That makes me a saaaad panda. :D

Ro3b
April 29th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Maybe it's his best song, but it's not my favorite. They're two different things. My fave would probably be Little Wing, or the insane cover of Rock Me Baby he did at Moneterey Pop. And during my Hendrix phase when I was in high school, I worked long and hard to master the intro to Castles Made of Sand; I still love the delicate balance between poignance and funkiness that song has. Machine Gun is pretty damn cool, though.

tot_Ou_tard
April 29th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I'm with R03B, I've always been a Little Wng fan.

M29
April 29th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Back when I was playing drums in the early 70's we were opening a club on the beach in Ft Lauderdale for Robert Conrad (the actor). There happened to be a telethon in town and Buddy Miles was staying there and he would come down and set in with us. This guy was big as you know and I will never forget how he used to keep knocking my cymbals over. I remember tying microphone stand weights to the bottom of my cymbal stands to keep him from knocking them over. He could really lay it down though. He had a bunch of stories of Jimi, I remember him saying he had one of Jimi's Srats.
On the weekends we would play out by the pool beside the beach and he would jam with us. I think I still have a picture around here somewhere. Ahh the good old days:D

It is a tough one trying to pick out a favorite Hendrix song, it would be easier to pick the one I didn't like...Ahm...let me see now...ahm........ahm...

M29

Big_Rob
April 30th, 2007, 08:50 AM
M29, what club was it?

@ everyone else, Little Wing is awesome, but I like Machine Gun better hencefor the the biased poll ;)

For real, I really cant pick his best song because Jimi was so awesome he had tons of killer songs.

One of my favorite albums from him is the Radio One sessions. Although the Sotheby masters are right up there on the kick *** factor.

Has anyone heard the Apartment Tapes? Even though they too were awesome, they showed how sloppy of a guitarist he was.

ShortBuSX
April 30th, 2007, 09:08 AM
For real, I really cant pick his best song because Jimi was so awesome he had tons of killer songs.

Seriously...have you tried listening to other artists?

Big_Rob
April 30th, 2007, 09:27 AM

With over 50 gigs of music on my comp at home and about 11 gigs here at work, I'd have to say naaah,,, :p

Ive actually been getting more into older jazz players as of lately.

The guys (Leon McAuliffe on steel and Eldon Shamblin on 6 string) from Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys were always kick *** and furthermore huge inspirations on southern rock guitar pickers

M29
April 30th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Hello Big_Rob,

Bob Conrad and a former Miss America had just opened up a club called (The Wild Wild West Saloon) man this was back in 1972 I think. From what they told us Conrad got kicked out of all the other bars in town and had to open his own to have somewhere to go. This was what I was told, sounds kinda flaky to me. At any rate there were a lot of musicians at the beach front condo that had this club in it. They were staying there for the Muscular Dystrophy telethon in town. Some of the Allman Brothers where there and I remember some of Sly and the Family Stone. as well.

Lots of fun!

M29

Big_Rob
April 30th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Hello Big_Rob,

Bob Conrad and a former Miss America had just opened up a club called (The Wild Wild West Saloon) man this was back in 1972 I think. From what they told us Conrad got kicked out of all the other bars in town and had to open his own to have somewhere to go. This was what I was told, sounds kinda flaky to me. At any rate there were a lot of musicians at the beach front condo that had this club in it. They were staying there for the Muscular Dystrophy telethon in town. Some of the Allman Brothers where there and I remember some of Sly and the Family Stone. as well.

Lots of fun!

M29

Man, I bet Ft. Lauderdale was a blast in the early 70s

tot_Ou_tard
April 30th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Big Rob digs up ol' cowboy artists & I believe Zappa n' such. Name an artist you think he should listen to, maybe he already has. ;)

tot_Ou_tard
April 30th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Ive actually been getting more into older jazz players as of lately.

The guys (Leon McAuliffe on steel and Eldon Shamblin on 6 string) from Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys were always kick *** and furthermore huge inspirations on southern rock guitar pickers

You've stumped me with the McAuliffe & Shamblin...jeez I gotta get me 50 gigs & another 11! :D

Big_Rob
April 30th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I was wrong, Ive got almost 58 gigs at home :DR (hells yeah!!!)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/Big_Rob829/musicfolder.jpg

SuperSwede
May 1st, 2007, 12:22 AM
*ahem* Aria Giovanni - AVI... ? ;)

Big_Rob
May 1st, 2007, 07:57 AM
*ahem* Aria Giovanni - AVI... ? ;)

On the other side under the properties window is celebrity sex tapes :D

Gotta admit, Aria is one hell of a woman

ShortBuSX
May 1st, 2007, 08:04 AM
I heard Red House again yesterday...even thats waaaaay better than Machine Gun.

Big_Rob
May 1st, 2007, 08:07 AM
I heard Red House again yesterday...even thats waaaaay better than Machine Gun.

Hmmmm, I dont know about way better, but you might be right. Catfish Blues is up there as well

ShortBuSX
May 1st, 2007, 08:15 AM
Hmmmm, I dont know about way better, but you might be right.

No, I said "waaaaay" better. :D

Big_Rob
May 1st, 2007, 10:42 AM
Heres an awesome version of Red House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08oVRtpjQLw

marnold
May 1st, 2007, 11:10 AM
Here's an admission: I've never heard "Machine Gun" all the way through.

Having said that, I tend to prefer his bluesy stuff like the aforementioned "Red House" than the more psychedelic stuff.

tot_Ou_tard
May 2nd, 2007, 06:27 AM
Heres an awesome version of Red House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08oVRtpjQLw
Right you are!

R_of_G
May 16th, 2007, 10:16 AM
"Machine Gun" has long been my fav of Jimi's songs. Primarily, he is able to tell an amazing story with few words, mostly with that guitar. Aside from the massive solo, MG is based on a super-cool and super-tight groove that allows Jimi to do what he does. No offense to the late-great Noel Redding, but I def prefer Billy Cox on bass with Jimi [actually, I prefer Billy Cox to any bass player, ever, but that's another thread]. My fav incarnation of Jimi's music is that 1970 configuration of Hendrix, Cox and Mitchell [Band of Experience? :cool: ]. Again, no offense to Buddy Miles, he can hit that straight funk groove like a locomotive, but I prefer Mitch's diversity.

The other reason MG means so much to me is that it is almost single-handedly responsible for a major shift in Miles Davis' approach to music. Miles' ex, Betty Mabry [who had an affair with Jimi] was the first to play Jimi for Miles [along with playing him Sly and the Family]. Miles understood when he heard Machine Gun how percussive a guitar can be. When asked about Hendrix, Miles would gravelly moan something about how he loved Machine Gun. Listen to how his sound changes after 1969/70 or so [then again in 72/73]. Sonny Sharrock, Pete Cosey, Reggie Lucas, Dominique Gaumont, all very percussive and/or feedback driven players. All adding to that whole band as percussion kit sound miles could get. All thanks to Machine Gun.

ShortBuSX
May 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I know its all subjective and all...but even Pali Gap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgIaLL-iP0Y)(which I recently discovered for myself) is BETTER than Machine Gun;)

Listen to it...its soooo much smoother.:DR

R_of_G
May 16th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Comparing Pali Gap to Machine Gun? It's like comparing apples to satellites. I agree with your suggestion that PG is "smoother" than MG, but I ask you this, why would you expect a machine gun to sound smooth? it's supposed to be a song about the actual experience of being on a battlefield in a guerilla war [specifically Viet Nam, though it transcends specifics]. from what i have heard and read, this is not a particularly smooth experience [despite what GW Bush likes to tell people]. Now does "smoother" make a song better? Only if the question is which is the better "smooth" song. IMHO, Machine Gun is a story told musically, not a song, and as it is one unpleasant story, i never expected it to sound "smooth" or "pleasing." a listen to a run through machine gun is draining, and shouldn't it be if hendrix is really achieving what he wanted with that one?

I know its all subjective and all...but even Pali Gap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgIaLL-iP0Y)(which I recently discovered for myself) is BETTER than Machine Gun;)

Listen to it...its soooo much smoother.:DR

ShortBuSX
May 16th, 2007, 12:12 PM
why would you expect a machine gun to sound smooth?

Cause it does sound smooth(with great tone) at first...and well, thats the only "great" part of the song. If it maintained that throughout, Id agree with all of yall that it is truely a great masterpiece or "Jimis best"...and I full understand that its called "Machine Gun", and that its about war and such...but let me remind you of The Firm's "Live In Peace" was about war also but that didnt mean the song had to sound like crap towards the end to make an impact.

You are obviously a HUGE Jimi fan...are you really going to say that this is his "BEST"????

[edit]Heres a sample of Live In Peace (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPkdgF_BS7E) by The Firm(some guy playing drums along with it) for those of you who may have forgotten the song(for reference sake)

R_of_G
May 16th, 2007, 12:55 PM
That two songs are "about war" doesn't mean they should sound in any way alike. As for the two specific songs, one is about war, as far as why do we have it and why can't it be peace, the other about the actual experience of being in a war live right then and there. one is conceptual while one is experiential.

as for my question, it wasn't why do think the song should sound smooth, but why do you expect an actual machine gun, the weapon not the song, to sound smooth? they don't and this was the sound he both sought for and achieved on this song. it's not supposed to be pretty, or smooth or necesaarily "fun" to listen to. it's supposed to be a musical intepretation about what it's like to be in a firefight with a mahcine gun in your hand and all around you. again, not a pleasant experience so not a "pleasant" song. do songs have to be pleasant? can't we expect more than one flavor from a war-related song? i am curious, do you think it "sounds like crap" after the intro bc it gets harsh or because you just don't think it's any good? bc it sure seems like the former, which, as you can see makes no sense to me.

and yes, i am a huge hendrix fan, and if i wasn't clear enough earlier when i stated it outright, YES this is both my favorite and my vote for his best song for all the reasons i have given and so many many more.

lastly, i never in a million years thought i'd be comparing and contrasting machine gun with a song by the firm, who, IMHO sucked.

Robert
May 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Okay, guys, let's agree that we disagree, ok? I am a huge Jimi fan too, but let us respect ShortbuSX's disagreement about Jimi and he do the same, ok? What is "better" or not is completely subjective.

Big_Rob
May 16th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Dayuuum,,, Pali Gap is awesome, I forgot all about that song.

R_of_G
May 16th, 2007, 01:50 PM
well sure, but i want to understand what it is i actually disagree with. if i was being disrespectful to shortbusx, i certainly didn't intend to [nor see where i did] but i think asking for clarification is pretty much how discussions go when you are unclear on what the other person is saying. obviously "best" is subjective, but if we aren't to talk about subjective issues, this would get old in a hurry. my point is, as shortbusx elaborated in his second post, i began to wonder what went into his end of the subjective conversation, and was merely asking to him to clarify.

ShortBuSX
May 16th, 2007, 01:56 PM
That two songs are "about war" doesn't mean they should sound in any way alike. As for the two specific songs, one is about war, as far as why do we have it and why can't it be peace, the other about the actual experience of being in a war live right then and there. one is conceptual while one is experiential.

Now Im confused, because "Live In Peace" is about the Falkland Islands war and is like an account of it going down.

as for my question, it wasn't why do think the song should sound smooth, but why do you expect an actual machine gun, the weapon not the song, to sound smooth?

Okay, I suppose it would sound like open muted chucking, but thats not the part of the song that isnt "good" and thats actually apart of the song that I like. BUT I'll remind you, Jimi isnt emulating a Machine Gun...I think someone like Vai would do a great job of that...so maybe I dont hear what you see*shrug*

BTW the drummer IS the "machine gun".

do songs have to be pleasant?

Depends on your definition of a "song"..."music" on the other hand can sound like crap and be as abrassive as itd like. To me a song is catchy, everybody knows the words and can sing along. For example, Paul McCartney is a "song" writer...Joe Satriani writes music. "Little Wing" is a song...and tiers above Machine Gun.(but even then why would I make a statement that its the "BEST"?)

can't we expect more than one flavor from a war-related song? i am curious, do you think it "sounds like crap" after the intro bc it gets harsh or because you just don't think it's any good? bc it sure seems like the former, which, as you can see makes no sense to me.

Half your arguement is jibba jabba, who said "one kind of war song"??? The songs are very similar, they start of nice and mellow and build...the Firm is less noise like.

You know the part I have a problem with is at the 4:40 mark (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV74PsUo1dc)...it really makes Toni Iommi look like a soloing musical genius! And at 5:20 its even worse! End the song at just before 4:40 and its "good".

lastly, i never in a million years thought i'd be comparing and contrasting machine gun with a song by the firm, who, IMHO sucked.

If you cant see the connection, then my replys are lost on you...but I never said "Live In Peace" was the best or better...I said "it doesnt sound like crap at the end to make an impact"...but it is a good song!(so I guess that does make it better)

the firm, who, IMHO sucked.

Yeah, "supergroups" suck! Bunch of no talent hacks! They should probably just choke and die, huh?
Granted, they werent Led Zeppelin...but they had thier moment as brief as it may have been.

Robert
May 16th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Sure, we can talk about subjective issues, we have an open-minded approach to discussions here, and neither of you comes across as being disrespectful. I'm just putting in my 2 cents as an observer of the thread.

R_of_G
May 16th, 2007, 02:17 PM
cool, just checking as you are a moderator and i am new here, so i wanted to make sure i wasn't needlessy ticking anybody off. :cool:

ShortBuSX
May 20th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I know that this is obviously a touchy subject...but this stupid topic has really got me diggin deep with the JH...betcha "Bruce Dickenson"(Christopher Walken) would prefer this song over Maching gun.:)

Stone Free (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WExUAjFdhnU)