PDA

View Full Version : iPods - Need help picking out a model

tremoloman
April 27th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I'm completely clueless about iPods. Would someone please recommend a model that would be good to play MP3s in my car with through the cassette deck and not break the bank?

I encode at VBR 192-320K (highest lame encodes at w/vbr). I'm hoping to get as many albums on as possible but don't want to spend more than $150-$175.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

-Trem

WackyT
April 27th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Are you looking for a good MP3 music player, or an Apple iPod specifically?

If you're just looking for a good MP3 player, I currently use a Sandisk Sansa E280 (http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1166)-SanDisk_Sansa_e200_Series_MP3_Players.aspx) (8GB built-in + 2GB microSD card). I love it! Good sound and large capacity at a great price.

Spudman
April 27th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I'm with WackyT.
I think the whole Ipod thing is a farce. All that proprietary-ism bugs me. I just use a couple of MP3 players and SD cards. That way I don't have to bother with the Itunes thing. I can use any MP3 from any source and it will playback. Sort of like the whole Apple or IBM thing I guess. Plus, they are less expensive.

Tone2TheBone
April 27th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I have a 30G video iPod and it's got a gazillllion bajillion songs loaded on it. If I had to do it all over again though I would have opted for a different MP3 player. iPods are expensive and the bigger ones have battery issues and sometimes get weird error messages. The older cases like mine scuff and scratch if you look at them wrong. Now I don't even care I just toss it around like a old Strat ;) Seriously check out the Sandisks and others they're supposed to be awesome.

Tone2TheBone
April 27th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Oh also Trem...I plug mine into a cassette adapter in my truck and it works great that way. Fidelity is good. I got loss of highs using one of those FM transmitters.

tremoloman
April 28th, 2007, 01:09 PM
So iPod is a no-no? A few people at work have told me the same thing. That SanDisk model line sure looks interesting... I'm going to do some searching after the San Jose Sharks game for a good deal on one. Thanks!

-Trem

Spudman
April 28th, 2007, 01:51 PM
So iPod is a no-no? A few people at work have told me the same thing. That SanDisk model line sure looks interesting... I'm going to do some searching after the San Jose Sharks game for a good deal on one. Thanks!

-Trem

Smart move. Best of luck.

sunvalleylaw
April 28th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I am going to go ahead and say that I think the whole iPod, iTunes experience is easy to use, and just works for me. Sure there are others that work. But based on my and a number of friends experiences, the iPod thing just does it easier. I have a 40g photo that has lasted for years. I would probably end up getting a large capacity video one. If you are looking to jog with it, I would go with a Nano or a lighter one. Just my vote! ;-)

DaveO
April 28th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Another vote for the Sansa. I've got one before Christmas last year and love it.
Dave

t_ross33
April 28th, 2007, 11:32 PM
+1 for Sansa. Sorry SVL :o I'm not a Mac basher, or anti-iPod, but the Sansa seems like the biggest bang for the buck (I've had my eye on these for a while now - it's next on my "gotta have it" list).

I don't think iPod handles MP3's encoded in VBR (may be wrong here FWIW) and the Sansa will also play WMA's if you're a fan of that format. 1/2 the file size of MP3's at comparable quality - so they claim. I'm sure the net is full of debate on which file format is best :rolleyes:

It also shows up on your PC as a removeable drive, so you can drag and drop files in windows rather than sync'ing thru another program or (rather resource heavy in the case of iTunes) interface if you so choose.

And with the ability to expand with extra flash cards, it seems to be the most flexible player on the market right now.

Mark
April 29th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Ive been using a Samsung mp3 player for the last year. Its built like a tank about the size of a bic lighter plays all files, also shows up as a drive on the pooter and NO proprietary BS! I can plug it in to any equipment without the Apple doodad of the day for 69.95. I try to avoid Apple products in general and the whole iPod product line is perfect example of why I dont do Apple, very proprietary, very overpriced.

Robert
April 30th, 2007, 07:18 AM
I have a Creative Labs Zen 6 GB player that I think is awesome. No proprietary issues. I am not sure where they are price-wise compared to the iPods, but I do prefer them to the iPod players.