PDA

View Full Version : Jam Sessions - Backing Track Solo #2

SuperSwede
January 12th, 2006, 05:39 PM
http://www.siglandia.net/Immagini/TF%20USA/love%20boat%20ok.jpg

Its time to shake those disco legs of yours and board this love boat style tune. Same as Justaguy´s backing track: Record now or a year from now.
No rules, no competition, just have fun.

Justaguyin_nc
January 15th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Swede what happened to the backing track? was gonna skate on the deck...

SuperSwede
January 16th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Hmm, It was there when I started the thread...

Here we go again...

Justaguyin_nc
January 20th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Ok Swede, seeing you helped get the other one started... I'll jump on deck and get one in here.... MIM 60's strat neck and middle pickups..Cyber-Champ default preset and straight to soundblaster...

to save some space here on thefret.net I been searching out places to put mp3's freely on the net.... well..soundclick gives ya 10megs free.. so its a start... skating on deck is up there... just press the Hi-Fi button.. He is link below... just put on your skates..close your eyes and take a spin around the deck...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=469107

Anyone know other places for storage freely?

marnold
January 20th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Justaguy, justabit of constructive criticism: your solo is getting a bit lost in the mix. Crank it up a some more! Once I get things figured out on my computer, I hope to dive into this too.

Justaguyin_nc
January 20th, 2006, 10:54 PM
did you press low-fi or HI-FI button? low-fi sounds like the backing only.. dunno why but it does...Hi-Fi you hear all..good or bad...heh Let me know if this is true for your setup too... I haven't a clue how the guitars fade in low-fi if its a mixdown? anyone able to explain that?:confused:

marnold
January 21st, 2006, 09:30 AM
did you press low-fi or HI-FI button? low-fi sounds like the backing only.. dunno why but it does...Hi-Fi you hear all..good or bad...heh Let me know if this is true for your setup too... I haven't a clue how the guitars fade in low-fi if its a mixdown? anyone able to explain that?:confused:

I used hi-fi. I could definitely hear your playing but it wasn't standing out from the rest of the mix. I'll check it again and see if anything seems different.

Update I just tried the lo-fi version. You're right--you can just barely hear your solo. The hi-fi is better, but I'd still like to hear the solo cranked up in the mix more.

Justaguyin_nc
January 21st, 2006, 10:25 AM
ok cool marnold...thanks for the update... Weird..I still hear it here louder then the backing..actually it became the mix..lol.. I actually got 2 guitar tracks mixed over the backing and thought it was to loud..lol... I kinda wanted a blend and not to much in your face .. like elevator music..heh.. I got to get use to this stuff.. but thats what this is all about huh... still kinda strange how the lo-fi takes the guitars out.. much appreciated..and look forward to your track...

SuperSwede
January 21st, 2006, 12:30 PM
I love it justaguy! Great playing, very nice sounds and melody! :)

Robert
January 21st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Good job, Justa, nice tones! Keep them coming! You can upload files on here no problem, but currently there is an issue with files over 3.5 megs. I haven't been able to fix it yet, but I'm working on it.

Justaguyin_nc
February 22nd, 2006, 10:54 AM
Swede...I just noticed the date this started and hmmm.. didn't see your version up yet... now I know you got one...:) turn it loose... look forward to it..

SuperSwede
February 22nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Well, when I feel a bit better I might just do that justa!

SuperSwede
February 24th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Well I dragged myself to the squirrelcaster and recorded today! Here it is:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=492694

Choose the Hi Fi stream...

Justaguyin_nc
February 25th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Nice stuff Swede... I like this lay back and relaxed style of music... has just enough power to sway to... background music.. love boat style... but I keep seeing the baywatch girls bouncing while I listen to it.. oh sidetracked...

warren0728
February 25th, 2006, 10:41 AM
sounds good ss (as usual)

ww

SuperSwede
February 25th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks Justa & Warren :)

So none of your heard where I sneaked in a little bit of a rather well known hard-rock intro originally from sweden (or should I say Europe, ho ho)... ?

warren0728
February 25th, 2006, 03:25 PM
i missed it...probably because with your amph you get no screaming solos :D ....i better go have a second listen

ww

Spudman
February 28th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Swede

How do you load your clips on to Soundclick.com? I've got one ready to go and can't figure it out. I've looked around the site and registered and still no go. Any tips?

SuperSwede
February 28th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Spud, you gotta create a "band". I think that it is called band management. When you have done that it is pretty straightforward to upload songs.

Spudman
February 28th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Swede
I got it done and uploaded. It will be a while before I get an original up though. My portable recorder is over at another location and it has my digital originals on it. Apparently you must have one original on your soundclic site. I'm not sure the backing track qualifies or not.

Spudman
March 1st, 2006, 10:14 AM
See if this works. It was done into Cubase with my Agile Les Paul with P90's through the Behringer V Amp2.

It is SuperSwede's backing track.

I found it challenging to play something in a different style and to have it sound somewhat acceptable to me.
I think doing exercises like this are a good humbler and style builder.
Thanks for the challenge Swede.

Robert
March 1st, 2006, 11:17 AM
Nice tone Spudman! That is a nice groove to play over, I should try something too. Well done.

Nelskie
March 1st, 2006, 12:33 PM
Swede / Spud - Cool track - nice work both of you. Spud's lead is very jazzy - kinda' Larry Carlton / Pat Metheny-ish. Just out of curiousity, what amp sim / cab / mic settings did you use on your V-Amp track? I have a PodXT myself, and have been playing "mad scientist" for the better part of a month experimenting with its tones and recording capabilities. It never ceases to amaze me what you can do with today's technology. I may have to take a swing on that track myself sometime soon.

Spudman
March 1st, 2006, 01:23 PM
Nelskie & Robert

Thanks.

I used the brit hi gain with some compression. I edited the sound very little. Mostly gain and reverb. I did it with the computer based editing window for the v amp2. I think POD has something like that too?

I'm going to start experimenting by treating the V Amp as just an amp and put my effects in front of it. I get a way better tone using the Bad Monkey/DS1/ Tone Driver combo while keeping my Classic 30 at a clean level. I'll try the same with the V Amp. I just use the pedals for grit and gain. The amp sounds way better than the V Amp but then again I'm used to amps. I can also vary mic placement with a real amp which is something you can't do with an amp simulator. I do however have a Korg AX1 pedal that allows off axis for it's mic sim. I might try that some time, but for now it is almost TOO MUCH to try to figure out how to use the recording software to effectively get my ideas out.

I've had great luck using my Loop Station to capture ideas on the fly but have yet to bring those ideas into the computer. Anyone out there an experienced computer recording engineer?

SuperSwede
March 1st, 2006, 02:32 PM
Im glad that you all liked the track!

Justaguyin_nc
March 2nd, 2006, 01:16 AM
Nice sound Spud... the love boat is filling up!!

SuperSwede
March 2nd, 2006, 02:46 AM
Yeah I forgot... Nice playing spud! :)

Spudman
March 2nd, 2006, 08:52 AM
Thanks Swede.
Collaboration is the key. Great minds and talent working together to take over the world and rule the airwaves.

SuperSwede
March 2nd, 2006, 09:38 AM
Now it would be nice if we all hold hands and join in "we are the world" ;)

Robert
March 2nd, 2006, 10:37 PM
Here's my take. Tough tempo to play in! I faded it out after a while, ran out of ideas... or just too many mistakes!

Spudman
March 3rd, 2006, 12:08 AM
robert.
Woah! Way cool! Love those jazzy licks. Good job.

SuperSwede
March 3rd, 2006, 03:08 AM
Very nice Robert!
Yeah the song is rather hard to play to, but it is really good for practice :)

Thanks for contributing.

Justaguyin_nc
March 3rd, 2006, 10:50 AM
Wild Robert... nice feelings... you da'man...

Tim
March 4th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Excellent Robert! Very wise solo choice to play. The volume was good and well balanced. All you folks got my interest up in learning how to do this home recording thing.

Spudman
March 4th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Swede
Can you put up the backing track for "We Are The World?" I'd give it a try because "we are the children."

SuperSwede
March 5th, 2006, 09:44 AM
I promise to try next time I hook the midi keyboard Spud ;)