PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the Sunshine State!

Brian Krashpad
April 27th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Hi kids. Noob here. Have been playing in bands for almost 25 years. Currently in 2 bands, one plays original punk rock and roll (think Ramones/Pistols/Buzzcocks/Dolls, etc.). I'm the "singer" and lead guitarist in that'un. The side band plays roots rock (think Tom Petty/Neil Young/'lectric Dylan) written/sung by the lead singer, who's a buddy of mine from work. I'm the lead player and do the occasional backing vocal in that one. I also played guitar and bass in church for about a decade but recently switched churches and am not doing that at the new place, which is not nearly so hard-up for guitarists. ;)

I post on a bunch of other guitar/bass boards, so some of y'all may have the misfortune of already knowing me. ;)

I have an exceedingly motley batch of guitars and a couple basses, the only thing in common they have is that I got some good deals (sometimes outrageously so) on them. Here's a pic:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/419428956_3bc4d0d9f4_b.jpg

I have a batch of amps too, again nothing expensive, but most of it works anyhow.

I'll try and play nice. ;)

warren0728
April 27th, 2007, 03:52 PM
welcome Brian Krashpad....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

warren0728
April 27th, 2007, 03:53 PM
btw...i grew up in high springs (you probably know where that is) and went to UF! Still have family up that way.

ww

Brian Krashpad
April 27th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Oh yeah, I know High Springs, one of my college buddies lives up there. I went to UF too (Go Gators!). Twice in fact, undergrad and grad. Never left. Some people never grow up.

Btw, I am one of the distinct minority of people who already know that that green LP Special is spearmint. ;)

warren0728
April 27th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Btw, I am one of the distinct minority of people who already know that that green LP Special is spearmint. ;)
cool....i love that guitar....you rarely see them is spearmint....the most common ones were red....mine is a 98...the last year they made them with p100s and that color.

you have some great looking guitars....drop me a pm about where you are playing out...i get up to g'ville quite a bit!

A friend of mine plays in a blues band up there called terraplane.

ww

Brian Krashpad
April 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM
cool....i love that guitar....you rarely see them is spearmint....the most common ones were red....mine is a 98...the last year they made them with p100s and that color.

you have some great looking guitars....drop me a pm about where you are playing out...i get up to g'ville quite a bit!

A friend of mine plays in a blues band up there called terraplane.

ww

Oh yeah, Terraplane have been around forever. The side band (that plays roots rock, Hoyt and the HotHeads) is playing Saturday June 9 at a great little Irish bar called the Shamrock. I may be playing bass at that one rather than my usual lead since iirc our basist will be on tour with his other band that night.

My punk rocknroll band is in the midst of (yet another!) drummer search so we don't have anything going on. :(

Cheers,

BK

tot_Ou_tard
April 27th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Welcome Krashpad, it'll be fun having you here. Interesting collection of axes there. What's that odd looking blue one?

warren0728
April 27th, 2007, 04:12 PM
My punk rocknroll band is in the midst of (yet another!) drummer search so we don't have anything going on.
my buddy plays drums...but punk isn't his thing :D

ww

Robert
April 27th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Welcome PadKrash! You've come to the right place!

Enjoy,
Robert

Spudman
April 27th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Interesting collection of axes there. What's that odd looking blue one?

Ovation Viper or Breadwinner I think...??

Welcome Krashpad. It's great to have more working players hanging with us.

Brian Krashpad
April 27th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Ovation Viper or Breadwinner I think...??

Welcome Krashpad. It's great to have more working players hanging with us.

You are correct sir! Breadwinner. The Viper was a bit more conventional.

Thanks for the welcomes lads.

Brian Krashpad
April 27th, 2007, 04:46 PM
my buddy plays drums...but punk isn't his thing :D

ww

No worries, we have a new guy jamming with us at practice Sunday night, and another in the wings. But I'm one of those guys if he doesn't gig in a couple months starts to get antsy. I used to have a weekly church gig that was great, but unfortunately the pastor decided to move on and the people that assumed control went in a direction we didn't like so I'm at a new church and not playing weekly in church any more. Which is too bad, because I'd gotten to the point where I could just come in, run though the one song I'd never played before right before the service, and go. That was fun and fulfilling in a way that playing in bars (as much as I love playing in bars!) could never be.

Fortunately last week an old buddy of mine came into town to play a benefit for a mutual acquaintance of ours, and I got to sit in with his band on bass (on one day-of-show practice!):

http://a741.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/6/l_64cf1666d359d41ed744fa9bf34830d4.jpg

That should hold me until my side band plays in June, but just barely.

;)

kerc
April 27th, 2007, 06:59 PM
The punk rock lawyer has arrived. Bienvenido, BK. :D This place is pretty nice!

Brian Krashpad
April 27th, 2007, 09:13 PM
The punk rock lawyer has arrived. Bienvenido, BK. :D This place is pretty nice!

Silencio, mijo, you're not supposed to tell them about my day gig!

Now I'll be despised for all the wrong reasons! :mad:

;) :D

kerc
April 27th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Hahahahahaah! No hate here. :D It's a very relaxed and mature place. We could learn to like lawyers.

;)

Brian Krashpad
April 27th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Well let's start out with punk rockers and have 'em work up to lawyers.

One day at a time, sweet Jesus!

Spudman
April 27th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Oh no! Two lawyers on the Fret?

Does this mean we can slander Madonna and get away with it?:D

Brian Krashpad
April 27th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Oh no! Two lawyers on the Fret?

Does this mean we can slander Madonna and get away with it?:D

I would be hardpressed to think up a worse potential plaintiff (well, besides Brittney Spears):

1) public figure
2) invited comment
3) truth defense
4) opinion defense

At this point it would be almost impossible to defame her! ;)

duhvoodooman
April 28th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Brian. That is quite the eclectic collection of guitars, my friend! Some very cool/unusual stuff there! BTW, whenever you want to get rid of that '66 Super Reverb, just send me a PM.... ;) :D

tot_Ou_tard
April 28th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Well let's start out with punk rockers and have 'em work up to lawyers.

One day at a time, sweet Jesus!
I've nothing against punk rockers.....;)

I like punk.

.....................................OK, lawyers are fine too. :D

You are correct sir! Breadwinner. The Viper was a bit more conventional.

Thanks for the welcomes lads.

How does it play? Is it only for the looks?

sunvalleylaw
April 28th, 2007, 08:29 AM
I would be hardpressed to think up a worse potential plaintiff (well, besides Brittney Spears):

1) public figure
2) invited comment
3) truth defense
4) opinion defense

At this point it would be almost impossible to defame her! ;)

Plus she would be a poor and uncontrollable witness and useless to her own case! As to other worse potential plaintiffs, that could open up a huge discussion! LOL! :eek: :p

Hi Brian Krashpad! Steve here. I take it from the latest posts that you are also lawyer. I am on away from the office for a few days and just skimmed your intro. Nice guitars and pics! I am relatively new to guitar, and have been playing for just about a year. Good to have a punk player here. I have been a punk fan for a long time (since college/law school) and am trying to learn a little. I like the influences you mention. Welcome aboard! :DR

SuperSwede
April 28th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Welcome to the land of the golden pancakes. We like warren here.

Jimi75
April 28th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Hi and welcome BK, you'll like it here very much - believe me....

Tim
April 28th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Welcome Brian. I am presently located in St. Augustine, Florida. Warren I have gotten together twice for lunch and once for a small am session.

You have a nice collection of guitars there. They should keep you busy, just in maintenance alone.

I think you will enjoy the Fret Net.

Brian Krashpad
April 28th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I've nothing against punk rockers.....;)

I like punk.

.....................................OK, lawyers are fine too. :D

How does it play? Is it only for the looks?

The Breadwinner plays really nicely but the elctronics on it are a bit of a pain. It has active single coils snd is very noisy. Also the recessed bridge basically means you can forget about quick string changes.

Right now mine has some issues that need fixing before I can gig her again.

But she was my first gigging guitar back in the day so she stays. :R

Brian Krashpad
April 28th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks again fellers!

Riley
April 29th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Howdy bro. ;)

tremoloman
April 29th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Welcome Brian... love the collection of guitars you've got there. I'm droolin' over that Tele and what looks like a Mustang!

Brian Krashpad
April 29th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Welcome Brian... love the collection of guitars you've got there. I'm droolin' over that Tele and what looks like a Mustang!

Thanks, that's an ol' 1960 Duo-Sonic. She needs some work but am holding onto her as it was my first half-decent guitar and my dad did the refinish on her. It's just bare wood with lemon oil.

Your sig cracks me up. Did Mustaine really say that? That guy's certifiable.

tremoloman
April 29th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Your sig cracks me up. Did Mustaine really say that? That guy's certifiable.Yup... watch Metallica "Cliff 'Em All" and there a spot where Dave is interviewed by a local news reporter. He's walking ahd she's following him and then he just blurts it out off the cuff. :) God I love Dave! :)

Brian Krashpad
April 29th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Yup... watch Metallica "Cliff 'Em All" and there a spot where Dave is interviewed by a local news reporter. He's walking ahd she's following him and then he just blurts it out off the cuff. :) God I love Dave! :)

Wasn't he the one who made himself unable to play by punching through a wall?

No Einstein, there. ;)

ShortBuSX
April 30th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Hello from central Florida!

Brian Krashpad
April 30th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Hello from central Florida!

Orlando or thereabouts?

I'm so close yet I've only played there once. :(

But it was fun. At D.I.Y. Records. (R.I.P.)

ShortBuSX
April 30th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Closer to the beaches...in Titusville, across the river from where the Shuttle goes up at.

Brian Krashpad
April 30th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Closer to the beaches...in Titusville, across the river from where the Shuttle goes up at.

Ah, I know where that is. Despite having lived in FL since the 70's I finally got to KSC for the first time last year, for a scouting camping trip with El Krashpadito:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/45/115852156_5b83e44372.jpg

We slept under the Saturn V!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/34/115852155_4b84708aec.jpg

tremoloman
April 30th, 2007, 08:04 AM
You are thinking of Billy Squier... Dave fell asleep on a chair and it cut the circulation off in his arm for 12 hours rendering his arm useless. He didn't accept that and rehabilited himself to a point where he can play better than before.
Wasn't he the one who made himself unable to play by punching through a wall?

No Einstein, there. ;)

Brian Krashpad
April 30th, 2007, 08:17 AM
You are thinking of Billy Squier... Dave fell asleep on a chair and it cut the circulation off in his arm for 12 hours rendering his arm useless. He didn't accept that and rehabilited himself to a point where he can play better than before.

Ah, my bad. But I was thinking the wall-punch thing was somebody metal.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
April 30th, 2007, 08:40 AM
welcome Krashpad .. nice collection , look foreward to your posts ,that rick looks pretty ..320? , 6S9L

Brian Krashpad
April 30th, 2007, 09:01 AM
welcome Krashpad .. nice collection , look foreward to your posts ,that rick looks pretty ..320? , 6S9L

Thanks. The Ric's a 620. Pretty beat up, but plays fine. A bud of mine traded it to me, w/ohsc, for an Epi Flying V (for which I'd paid $250)! :eek: :R

Big_Rob
April 30th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Waving 4 fingers and a thumb from the land to the south of you

Brian Krashpad
April 30th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Thanks. A batch o' Floridians here. http://www.thefret.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

Spudman
April 30th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks, that's an ol' 1960 Duo-Sonic. She needs some work but am holding onto her as it was my first half-decent guitar and my dad did the refinish on her. It's just bare wood with lemon oil.

Your sig cracks me up. Did Mustaine really say that? That guy's certifiable.

I had a red 62 Duo....and sold it.:( What did I know? If I only would have seen the future I would have kept my 64 Jaguar too.