PDA

View Full Version : Coil Cutting Clips

marnold
April 29th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I whipped up a couple of quick clips to demonstrate the effect that cutting the coil on my Fender's Atomic II humbucker has. I have all of the gory details on my blog (http://telebotomy.blogspot.com/2007/04/clippage.html). It's just a quickie chord progression and then a lick recorded via my AD30VT.

SuperSwede
April 30th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Marnold, was coil tap standard on your Celtic?

duhvoodooman
April 30th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Nope (http://telebotomy.blogspot.com/2007/04/and-now-for-something-completely.html).

duhvoodooman
April 30th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Hey, Marnold! (I love saying that, even if your head isn't shaped like a football! ;) )

Sounds exactly like it had oughta! Good job. Now that you have one under your belt, the sky's the limit! :DR

marnold
April 30th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Hey, Marnold! (I love saying that, even if your head isn't shaped like a football! ;) )
It took me a second to figure this one out. It's been awhile since my kids have watched "Hey Arnold." My head, while enormous, is not football-shaped. More "Earth-threatening asteroid" shape.

Sounds exactly like it had oughta! Good job. Now that you have one under your belt, the sky's the limit! :DR
Yep, I'm very happy with how things turned out. I feel pretty confident about attempting my Model 7 project. My only "concern" (which really isn't that much of a concern) is the wiring of the four-way switch, which may require some extra patience.

I was looking at the coil-tap on my 51 and can't figure out how it is wired. The leads from the humbucker do not seem to follow the regular Fender pattern. It has four leads: red, white, black, and bare. The white (hot, I assume) goes to the switch. The black and bare wires are grounded to the volume pot. The red lead is wired up to the upper right lug for the push-pull pot. Both of the middle lugs are grounded. Obviously it works, but I'm trying to figure out why. Even though there is no "screw" coil on that humbucker, it does cut what would normally be the "screw" coil, the one closest to the bridge.