PDA

View Full Version : AMP noise

hkrle
May 2nd, 2007, 04:00 AM
I have a cheap Laney LX12. I always connect it to line-in of my PC for guitar recording. If I increase the recording volume, the background noise is very serious. Pls advise if it is natural or it is the problem of my cheap amp.

THanks.

stingx
May 2nd, 2007, 05:46 AM
I have a cheap Laney LX12. I always connect it to line-in of my PC for guitar recording. If I increase the recording volume, the background noise is very serious. Pls advise if it is natural or it is the problem of my cheap amp.

THanks.

It's more indicative of a cheap soundcard.

WackyT
May 2nd, 2007, 06:34 AM
How do you plug the amp into your soundcard? The LX12 doesn't have a line output.

hkrle
May 2nd, 2007, 07:25 AM
How do you plug the amp into your soundcard? The LX12 doesn't have a line output.

The 'phone ' of the amp to the 'line-in' of soundcard with normal audio cable. It works fine except the background noise. :(

hkrle
May 2nd, 2007, 07:33 AM
It's more indicative of a cheap soundcard.

do u think cheap soundcard creates the background noise? pls share your experience? thanks!

WackyT
May 2nd, 2007, 07:39 AM
How are you controlling the recording level on the computer? Turning up the volume on the amp, or controlling the input level on the computer? And what software are you using on the computer to record with?

hkrle
May 2nd, 2007, 08:44 AM
How are you controlling the recording level on the computer? Turning up the volume on the amp, or controlling the input level on the computer? And what software are you using on the computer to record with?

u can control the output volume and record volume as usual. If you don't know, try to read the manual of your PC. It's common settings. I mainly use Adobe audition to record the guitar and keyboard. It's a very nice software providing multi-tracking for recording.

WackyT
May 2nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
I've been working on PCs for over 15 years, hkrle. And I'm trying to help YOU out with YOUR problem. So please don't tell me to "read the manual of your PC". What I'm thinking is you're overdriving the input on your soundcard. If your recording level goes over 100%, you're going to get clipping noise.

hkrle
May 2nd, 2007, 10:46 AM
I've been working on PCs for over 15 years, hkrle. And I'm trying to help YOU out with YOUR problem. So please don't tell me to "read the manual of your PC". What I'm thinking is you're overdriving the input on your soundcard. If your recording level goes over 100%, you're going to get clipping noise.

sorry, I misunderstood your last post. Anyway I always set the recording level to 45% or 25% but still hear the background noise. (of course if I raise the volume, the noise would increase.) When I do the same way to my keyboard, no such noise. When I do it to my guitar amp, it gets the annoying noise. The noise sounds like some frequency noise. I guess it's probably the problem to the amp. Do u think more expensive amp doesn't have this kind of noise? Do u have same case when connected to the amp? thanks!

WackyT
May 2nd, 2007, 10:52 AM
Does it sound like 60Hz or 50Hz noise? Is the amp plugged into the same circuit as your computer? It also might just be a noisy amp design.

SuperSwede
May 2nd, 2007, 12:59 PM
Do you have your amp connected to a grounded electric socket? If not, that may be the cause of your problems. The cable might also be the problem, you could try with a better cable preferably with gold plated connectors.

hkrle
May 3rd, 2007, 08:24 AM
I got some information today from Internet and I tried it. It really helps to minimize the noise. The approach is to connect the guitar to a preamp(I only have pedals) and then connect to the line-in of PC. The result is nice but it only have 1 channel. So I mixed the channel into 2 with PC software.
The reason of the noise is the difference of impedence between amp and line-in of soundcard. This results in the adnormal noise in soundcard.
Any comment. Thanks.