PDA

View Full Version : Pix of my "Fat Fully"

duhvoodooman
May 2nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Just thought I'd post a couple of pix of my new reversed red burst Fullerton ST4, a.k.a. the "Fat Fully", so interested parties (like those of you with 2, 3 or 4 of these & their brethren on their way to you! :D ) could see some of the features & finish. Just let me say again that the quality of this guitar is just flat amazing at the price point--even when it was priced at $100! The neck on mine is a marvel, clearly the best feature of the guitar, IMO--just needs the fret ends filed smooth. The guitar's finish is pretty darned good, too. The pickups are a bit raw and grainy sounding, but they certainly don't lack punch and bite! I haven't opened the back yet to see how the humbucker is wired, and if a coil split is possible. That & a better nut are about the only mods I might bother with, at this point. Bottom-line: just an astonishing value & definitely fun to play!

k2d2
May 2nd, 2007, 11:45 AM
With the "slim" model I'd agree with your assessment, especially the neck. After a loooong time filing the sharp edges of the fret I love the action and feel of the neck.

marnold
May 2nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
I told my wife about the deals on these guitars and jokingly (somewhat) said that I almost bought one for our son. She replied, "Why didn't you?" Crap.

the1percent
May 2nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
For those that missed my pics...:P

http://exit3.i-55.com/~slowhand/guitars/fullerton.htm

tremoloman
May 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Beautiful Fullertons guys! I wish I had got one in the red trim... it looks so evil and seductive!

stingx
May 2nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
I think both guitars look great. I am just slightly turned off by the phallic headstock. Only slightly, mind you. :)

tot_Ou_tard
May 2nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
I think both guitars look great. I am just slightly turned off by the phallic headstock. Only slightly, mind you. :)
I don't think we need Docktor Freud Voodomann to tell us what this means.

duhvoodooman
May 3rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Found out another interesting thing about the Fat Fully. The humbucker is wired for coil cut! Though it's not a full-fledged 4-conductor 'bucker that you can do lots of fancy stuff with, it does have a third wire that can be connected to ground and thereby cuts out one of the two coils. This wire is white, and has been clipped short on mine. But I was able to touch the exposed end of the wire to a ground connection and immediately got a thinner, twangier single-coil tone. So any of you with an ST4 who might want to rig up a coil-cut switch will be happy to know that it's feasible with this guitar.... :D

Robert
May 3rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
For those that missed my pics...:P

http://exit3.i-55.com/~slowhand/guitars/fullerton.htm

Nice sock... :p

the1percent
May 3rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Nice sock... :p

You should see my foot. :p

kerc
May 4th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Nice-lookin' guits, guys. I was very close to buying one, but honestly I want to keep myself wit only a few guitars...

ted s
May 4th, 2007, 03:24 PM
1%, that's not one of those ankle socks is it ? ;)

mikew
May 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Very nice duhvoodooman! What's interesting is upon viewing that I start hearing some Judas Priest instantly! :DR

duhvoodooman
May 7th, 2007, 07:13 AM
FWIW, I've come across a couple of references on the web that the Fullerton guitar line is manufactured for Music123 by Aria--certainly a well known name in guitars. This also bodes well for that Aria "Strat Pack" I bought during the Music123 closeout extravaganza last week!

Well, whoever makes 'em, them boys is doin' one heckuva job, given what they sell 'em for! I spent some "quality time" with my new Fat Fully over the weekend, and it plays just amazingly well. I still need to replace the cheap nut, and better string trees would be good (the stock ones squeek some on deep bends low down on the neck on the two high strings). I'll probably change the pickups just to hear the difference, but the stock ones are by no means bad--quite good, actually. But I bought a set of those overwound Strat sets that Guitarfetish.com was practically giving away last week, and I still have the '57 humbucker that was in my Epi Dot when I bought it, so I'm going to try them in it, just for grins.

sunvalleylaw
May 7th, 2007, 08:19 AM
FWIW, I've come across a couple of references on the web that the Fullerton guitar line is manufactured for Music123 by Aria--certainly a well known name in guitars. This also bodes well for that Aria "Strat Pack" I bought during the Music123 closeout extravaganza last week!

Well, whoever makes 'em, them boys is doin' one heckuva job, given what they sell 'em for! I spent some "quality time" with my new Fat Fully over the weekend, and it plays just amazingly well. I still need to replace the cheap nut, and better string trees would be good (the stock ones squeek some on deep bends low down on the neck on the two high strings). I'll probably change the pickups just to hear the difference, but the stock ones are by no means bad--quite good, actually. But I bought a set of those overwound Strat sets that Guitarfetish.com was practically giving away last week, and I still have the '57 humbucker that was in my Epi Dot when I bought it, so I'm going to try them in it, just for grins.

Thanks for the follow up DVM. I will watch your mods closely. I want to mod mine just for experimentation. I was thinking some kind of warmer bucker in the bridge, some rail type bucker in the neck, and some tex mex single in the middle. Just what I was thinking. Did you take a look inside yet for wiring purposes? I think I will start a Fat Fully mod thread discussing my plans and for people like you who actually get to it and lead the way! :DR