PDA

View Full Version : Slowly cooking garlic

tot_Ou_tard
May 2nd, 2007, 03:59 PM
Why the f@ck does it smell so incredibly good?

I dunno, but it does.

t_ross33
May 2nd, 2007, 05:29 PM
Yum. I love the garlic.

My Grandma used to fry onions for nearly every meal. As long as the kitchen smelled savoury, no one would bug her while she prepared the meal and ask "when's supper", "what's for supper" etc.! She usually had to feed lots of kids, their friends, farm hands, extended family...

Pretty smart, my Grannie ;)

tot_Ou_tard
May 2nd, 2007, 06:46 PM
That just smells like torture t_ross!

Up until the moment you get to eat, that is. ;)

SuperSwede
May 3rd, 2007, 02:58 AM
MMmmm... garlic, I wonder why it smells so bad after you have eaten it, when it smells so lovely before you eat it.

ShortBuSX
May 3rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
Although I like the smell of garlic...Im also a big fan of the smell of fresh basil.

Big_Rob
May 3rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
Garlic is awesome for you as well

http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/health.htm

pie_man_25
May 3rd, 2007, 06:08 PM
man, you guys are just making me hungry, have you ever tried pan-frying onions until they just start caramelising and making an omelette with them? it's pretty good with cheese.

Spudman
May 3rd, 2007, 06:11 PM
+1 for frying onions. I put them on everything...except for my cereal.:)

Mark
May 3rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Fresh garlic sautee'd in butter then introduce fresh mushrooms and continue sauteeing to perfection.

OR!!!

Sautee fresh garlic LOTs of it in butter with basil and oregano and slowly brown it, add olive oil and simmer.
NEXT

I like to make homemade pizza dough (store bought will work) then take 3 inch strips of the dough tie it into a knot. Brush the above garlic sauce on the knots and bake till browned.

NOW

Take the garlic knots put them in a tupperware or similar sealable container and pour in the remainder of the garlic sauce, gently toss.

You will now have the most delicious addictive chewy knots of garlic heaven you have ever tasted

WAIT!!!

WASH your hands before you pick up that guitar!!!:DR

Spudman
May 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the culinary treat tip Mark. I'm going to try that one for sure. I just worry that Popeye is gonna be mad when I add Olive Oil to the mix.:D

pie_man_25
May 5th, 2007, 03:08 PM
man, I really should stop reading this thread, but I just can't!!!

Tone2TheBone
May 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Keeps the vampires away too.

Spudman
May 5th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Keeps the vampires away too.

Ya! Have you noticed? Not one single vampire posting on here.:D

I've got a heap of garlic breath right now and no vampires in sight. In fact - my wife even left too. :R

tot_Ou_tard
May 6th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Ya! Have you noticed? Not one single vampire posting on here.:D

Vat makes you zay zat?

BwwaHAHAHAHAaaa.

pie_man_25
May 6th, 2007, 08:04 PM
dude, vampires don't exist, and besides even if they did, they'd still eat garlic.
nobody can resist the allure of garlic, not even vampires, this is like crack cocaine in vegetable form.

tot_Ou_tard
May 6th, 2007, 08:15 PM
dude, vampires don't exist, and besides even if they did, they'd still eat garlic.
nobody can resist the allure of garlic, not even vampires, this is like crack cocaine in vegetable form.
You nailed it pieman.

Wanna buy some killer clove? Pure Peruvian! The real Stank! ;) :D

The vision of a bunch'a vampires so strung out on garlic that they're crashed on the beach in BROAD DAYLIGHT cracks me up. :D

Quick, let's put clown noses on'em before they come to! :p

Spudman
May 6th, 2007, 09:37 PM

Huh? Don't exist?? There better be some splainin here cause I run into them all the time. You know...those people that suck the life right out of a room when they enter. Come to think of it they smell a little like garlic and have all had big red noses. lol:D

garlic like crack. What a great analogy.:D

pie_man_25
May 7th, 2007, 05:16 PM
hahahaha, yeah, I guess I did kinda nail it there. Kinda funny 'cause I never get people to laugh with my jokes.

Plank_Spanker
May 10th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Garlic rules, and there's no such thing as too much garlic. Here's a simple summer salad:

Tear 2 heads of romaine lettuce into bite sized pieces

Lightly drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on the lettuce, toss to very lightly coat the lettuce

Add grated parmesan cheese to taste

Add crushed garlic to taste (I like lots of it! :D )

Best served chilled

Asparagus:

Sautee fresh asparagus spears in olive oil until they just begin to wilt

Add crushed garlic to the pan and continue to sautee, but do not burn the garlic

Crumble bacon bits into the pan, mix, and serve.

Now, I'm hungry!!!!:D

Ro3b
May 10th, 2007, 06:36 AM
One of the best things I know: mince four or five garlic cloves, saute them in good olive oil with anchovies and crushed red peppers and a little salt, and toss with fresh hot spaghetti. Then add chopped fresh parsley and parmesan if you want it. Good when you want something hot and fast and filling and comforting.

Oh, and put the garlic and oil in the pan before you turn the heat on. That way you can keep an eye on things and you're less likely to scorch the garlic.