PDA

View Full Version : trans-genre-d guitars

tot_Ou_tard
May 2nd, 2007, 05:41 PM
Anyone can think of using the standard guitar for a given genre, but how about cross playing your ax?

I'm talking

Tele for Jazz (Mike Stern does this with panache)

Blues on a 12-string Ric

Metal licks on a heavily distorted nylon string acoustic with piezos.

Are there any examples of this that really works & gives a new voice?

duhvoodooman
May 2nd, 2007, 07:29 PM
Death metal on a ukelele?? :eek: ;)

Spudman
May 2nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
Classical banjo?

t_ross33
May 2nd, 2007, 10:53 PM
Classical banjo?

How about Prog/Jazz Banjo... Bela Fleck and the Flecktones :cool:

tot_Ou_tard
May 3rd, 2007, 06:29 AM
I think Bela Fleck is great.

Great ideas keep'em coming.

SuperSwede
May 3rd, 2007, 01:47 PM
J.S Bach on a strat?... ah wait Yngwie already does that ;)

How about surf music on a nylon string guitar?

Spudman
May 3rd, 2007, 06:09 PM
How about a Les Paul and a Triple Rectifier for some folk music...kickin it old school?

zeusse
May 3rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Rik Emmett did it on a jazz guitar with Triumph through most of their career

Here's the link from the US Festival in 1983
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR7fLk1kyKM

R_of_G
May 15th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Ok, who could guess I would start with Frisell and Ribot:cool: ?

Frisell uses [mainly] a couple of strats and a tele or two [think he doesn't use the kleins anymore] for electric. Now, what "genere" is Bill Frisell? It typically changes from album to album if not from track to track. Yet, for everything from straight jazz to naked city's hardcore metal, you can always tell it is Frisell. Proving once more that so much of the tone of a given player's play comes from their hands and the approach not the guitar or the gear. Hook Bill Frisell up to Clapton's gear and you'll still know who it is. Ditto for Ribot. Check out some live stuff from Zorn's "Naked City" or "Cobra" to hear either of them play in every style imaginable.

R_of_G
May 15th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Would be remiss to not mention Robert Randolph in this thread. He took the whole Hendrix/Stevie Ray blues/funk thing to the pedal steel. That said, once you've seen him a few times you realize that he has a finite number of licks and tricks, like Les Claypool, and once you've seen/heard them you will def hear them again in future shows. Nonetheless, he did have the idea to bring that style to his instrument.

Now Charlie Hunter... firstly, does anybody else even do what he did [accompany themself on bass by playing an 8 string and routing two pickups [one for the bottom three strings, one for the higher five] to two amps [one bass, one guitar] and do much of this with a rotosphere pedal and a leslie cabinet and an approach to chord play more like an organist than a guitarist so he sounded like three instruments at once. I once played my dad [a big music fan and harsh critic] charlie's solo version of the beatles' drive my car. "this is some band." my dad said. "it's only one guy," i told him. when he picked up his jaw, he knew charlie was something special. i would also be remiss not to tell my charlie story. this man is the single most approachable humble musician i have ever met in person, and he happens to be among the top three or four pure musicians i have met. another thanks to my friend curtis, who had followed charlie on tour a few yrs before and had befriended him. he also knew and had a past business assn. with the guuy who owned the club. we decided to just show up at load-in and see if we could get inside. we walk in and the first person we see is charlie sitting at the empty bar just chilling. he recognizes curtis, introduces himself to us, like we didn't come to see HIM play. Then he says, go on inside, we're gonna soundcheck in a few mins. Other than the sound guys, we got a private mini-set from Charlie, Josh Roseman, and the legendary new orleans drummer johnny vidacovich [linked below to his site]. anyone who is a fan of stanton moore [from galactic], this is who he ripped off [admittedly btw if you ask him]. for guys who should by all rights have enormous egos, these guys were so refreshingly down to earth and friendly. so was jacob fred jazz odyssey [the openers, an AMAZING jazz band that blows MMW right out of the water]. these days, charlie is doing some amazing work with another legendary drummer, bobby previte. he is playing a lot of 6 string electric and bass separately [showing how riddiculously easy it is for him to go from 8 strings down to 6 or 4]. I read that for his solo stuff he has switched to a 7 string. whatever charlie plays, across whatever genre he wants to play with, it sounds awesome and unmistakably his own.

http://www.charliehunter.com/
http://www.johnnyvidacovich.com/

guitartist
May 16th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Death metal on a ukelele?? :eek: ;)

Have you seen these?
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/MU40-WHITE.htm

A friend of mine got a Martin ukele for X-Mas (I didn't even know Martin made ukes)...at a recent solo gig he surprised everybody and pulled it out and played an early Talking Heads song on it. Sounded great! He carries that uke with him now wherever he goes.

tot_Ou_tard
May 17th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Have you seen these?
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/MU40-WHITE.htm

A friend of mine got a Martin ukele for X-Mas (I didn't even know Martin made ukes)...at a recent solo gig he surprised everybody and pulled it out and played an early Talking Heads song on it. Sounded great! He carries that uke with him now wherever he goes.

Those look incredibly sweeeet! Makes me want a uke.

Look at this pink version

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/MU40-PINK.htm

I was in another city one day & happened upon a high end acoustic stringed instrument shop. I was oogling all the handmade guitars, lutes, & such when in busts a guy who says in a urgent voice:

"I *need* the cheapest ukelele you've got."

It cracked me up. I had never seen someone with a uke jones before.