PDA

View Full Version : We're Going to the Prom!

t_ross33
May 3rd, 2007, 06:33 PM
Well, almost... ;)

Our trio, the barley boys (http://www.thebarleyboys.ca) picked up a gig opening for THESE GUYS (http://www.thepovertyplainsmen.com/) for a fundraiser benefitting cancer research. They're pretty much the top local country band in these here parts. Should be a great experience!

I have a question for some of our more gig-experienced brethren: any insight into sharing a sound system with a headlining act? I believe they will be travelling with their own rig, maybe even soundman (or woman, course ;) ). Drums is drums, I'm guessing they will be shared; and bass can be DI'd; I'm assuming I'll need to arrive with my own pedals, amp etc. and mic it to the board?

I'm sure it will all be figured out, but I've never "opened" for a big headliner before.

Thanks,

Trev

Spudman
May 3rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Depending on how you get along with the band.....

Some have let me use their backline amps. Make sure it's ok to change things so that you can find "your" sound ahead of time. If not then stick with your own gear. Make sure to place your amp where you can hear it no matter what. You may not get a monitor mix so plan for the worst.

If it's easy to mike your own rig do it and then just ask where to plug in. Sometimes they will give you your own channel, other times you'll just plug into whatever is close. I use a LP Claw and SM57 so it mounts on my amp. No fussing around.

You'll probably share a drum kit (theirs) unless they are picky. Like I said, get to know them early and they may share if you become friends. Otherwise, prepare to mike, at the very least, the kick and snare with your own stuff. MARK YOUR OWN GEAR WELL AND KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR GEAR! Most important.

If you are getting paid adequately ask the front of house (sound man) if you can give them a little something ($). Otherwise offer to get them dinner or some of their favorite beer. Kindness goes a long way with them because they usually get scraps and no thanks.

MOST IMPORTANT: Get your whole band up and play a little something and MAKE SURE everyone can hear each other WITHOUT MONITORS. That way the music can groove at the very least. All this provided they give you time for a sound check.

Again, if possible arrive early and hang out with them and get to know them. Ask questions about their family, what they like to do when not playing and LISTEN. Don't tell them anything about yourself UNLESS they ask. You want to make them feel important and they will think you are really cool for getting to know them without yakking about yourself.

All of this can go a long way towards getting a good mix and making some new friends.

Best of luck to you. (I'm so jealous)

Robert
May 3rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Cool gig. Our band opened for Trooper, and they actually let us play their stuff. Just ask your headline band (or the sound guy?) well ahead of time if you can use any of their gear, and what.

I saw the Poverty Plainsmen here in Camrose a few months ago. Good band for sure. The guitarist played a POD XT Live. I personally have yet to hear a guitarist playing a POD XT live with a good guitar tone. The tone seems to drown in the PA mix.

zeusse
May 3rd, 2007, 09:36 PM
Cool gig. Our band opened for Trooper, and they actually let us play their stuff. Just ask your headline band (or the sound guy?) well ahead of time if you can use any of their gear, and what.

I saw the Poverty Plainsmen here in Camrose a few months ago. Good band for sure. The guitarist played a POD XT Live. I personally have yet to hear a guitarist playing a POD XT live with a good guitar tone. The tone seems to drown in the PA mix.Yep use to have one thats why I have the Digitech GNX4 now ....but on the topic of live setup Spudman has gave you some great advice and it does come down to what the opening bands attitude is like. We had a great band open for us three weeks ago and they were amazed how easy going we were. We even wanted them to sound good because good show means more and better bookings for us and them and you never know if tomorrow you'll be opening for them....never step on toes! Keeping in mind that all musicians are particular about the equipment they own when your the opening band you have to go with the flow...so play nice now!

Brian Krashpad
May 16th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Yes, PA and backline sharing can vary wildly from show to show, band to band, and venue to venue. As others have noted, communication is key. Don't assume anything, because as soon as you do, rest assured the opposite will be the true state of affairs. For example, the drummer in my side band would not ever ever let another person play his kit. Not to save cancer victims or starving Ethiopian children. It's a very expensive kit and nobody but him ever bangs on it, ever.

Even with an agreement to use the other's PA (unless you're also told that the benefit organizers are providing one for both bands) I would seriously consider bringing some sort of backup PA just in case.

As far as mic'ing instruments, it depends on the size of the room and size of the amp. In a small to mid-size room it may actually be easier to not mic instruments (with the exception of drums) and just run with stage volume. I actually think loud rock bands sound better this way (so long as it doesn't become a problem with vocal mics picking up instrument stage volume).

Lastly, a word about benefits. I do all of these I can, because I believe it's part of my responsibility to my community and a good karma thing to do. That being said, I go into EACH AND EVERY benefit assuming the "organizers" will in fact not in the SLIGHTEST WAY be "organized" vis-a-vis the bands' participation, and that, if I rely solely on them to do their part, a frustrating and potentially disasterous clusterf*ck will ensue.

Seriously.

It's not their fault, but in most sitches the organizers will know next to nothing about anything involving live music. Thus the more you can take charge of the entertainment side of things, the better off you'll be. In more than one multi-band benefit I've played I've decided to provide my own PA and/or have the "organizers" agree to let me be in charge of it, for their own good. In these kinds of scenarios there has to be someone who can lay down the law as to things like playing times, stage volume, etc., and very often the charity people are clueless.

Break a leg!

Jimi75
May 16th, 2007, 08:56 AM
We will open for Michael Katon "The Boogieman" from Michigan on 23.05.07.
We are not allowed to use his nor his band's stuff and we have 15 minutes for the sound check and to bring our stuff including our own drumkit and microphones as well as micro stands on stage.

I am pretty sure we will manage this as we are a trio and we have our own sound man who knows us well. Furthermore we decided to play our Line6 amps (guitar & bass) so no miking of the amps is required.

I understand Michael Katon's decision, because you never know what band is going to play with your stuff....

It is going to be some hot 40 minutes for us and today we have the final rehearsal.........sure to gain some new fans.

I decided to play only my 62 custom Strat, the Paula remains second choice this time.

t_ross33
May 16th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys! We're pretty stoked about this gig. Not only are the Poverty Plainsmen one of the top country acts in Western Canada, their members own some of the larger clubs in Saskatchewan, so we're hoping to make an impression and leverage this into bigger and better gigs. I'm also looking forward to hanging with some "real" musicians :D

We've been in contact with them and they seem to be very nice, laid back, accomodating and surprisingly supportive. I think they are excited for us to be playing a big show in front of a home crowd (we'll have our share of supporters and "groupies" in the audience too).

They have another gig the next night, so we may end up patching them into our little PA if it's adequate for them. That way they can bug out after their set and we get to close and play as long as we, the crowd, or the organizers want. We can set up as early as we want, sound check as long as we want to/need to etc.

As Robert mentioned, their guitar player runs a PodXT Live straight to the board, and they use an in-ear monitor system. If they are using a house PA or plugging into someone else's rig, it allows them to travel pretty light - no amps or monitors to haul around.

As far as the organizers go, we pretty much have full control with regards to set up etc.

So far, so good!! Thanks again for the tips and support!

Trev

sunvalleylaw
May 16th, 2007, 09:49 AM
All right Trev! Sounds like fun. I hope you have a great time and can post some vid or recordings.