PDA

View Full Version : What do you read?

Robert
January 14th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Just wondering if anyone here is enjoying any good books? I am reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series right now - I love it. The first book is a bit hard to get through, but the second is fantastic, and it only gets better! Great stuff if you like mysterious & tough gunslingers and quests.

Otherwise, I usually like to read non-fiction. Some recent books I've read:
"No Logo", by Naomi Klein, is a great read about branding and "corporate multiculturalism".

As well know, Michael Moore has a way of getting his points across, and the book "Dude, Where's My Country" is no different. He's got some very good points here, they are hard to ignore.

Matt
January 14th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Well, ive always been a Lord of the Rings fan, but the last thing I read was 'A Clockwork Orange'. A short book, but it is fairly awesome. The movie's ok, but i prefer the book. And try reading 'His Dark Materials'. Childrens/adolecent book, but with serious adult undertones. Makes you question your faith if any :P

regards

Matt

warren0728
January 14th, 2006, 10:49 PM
some of my favorite authors:
James Patterson
David Baldacci
Michael Connelly (reading "the Last Coyote" right now)

On the lighter side:
Carl Hiassen
Tim Dorsey

ww

Katastrophe
January 15th, 2006, 07:38 AM
I've been on a Dean Koontz kick lately... But have also read Baldacci, Patterson and a couple from Tess Garritsen... Tom Clancy is a favorite as well, and so is Stephen Hunter. The wife and I read a lot.

Guitar-Chris
January 15th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Hey guys, what do you read?? My latest books:

Tom Wheller: The great Stratocaster chronic.
Tony Bacon/ Dave Hunter: Totaly Guitar
Smith : Fender - The sound heard 'round the world.

Am i a fender fender, no, no, :D

MagicBaller21
January 15th, 2006, 05:12 PM
For school, i just finished reading : The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (great book, despite the frequent use of the n-word) and I just finished The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (i dont recommend it). right now, my class is doing a poetry unit, with Emily Dickenson, Langston Hughes and such. we're gonna be starting the Great Gatsby soon, and it's supposed to be a great book.

Myles
January 16th, 2006, 12:39 PM
As far as books are concerned I read fantasy exclusively. (I'm also constantly reading internet articles of a variaty of different topics)

Most recently I finished George R.R. Martin's 4th book in the Song of Ice and Fire series called A Feast for Crows.

This series is amazing how real the world is. Martin is not afraid to shock you and is constantly shaking up the world. The elements of magic are slowly revealed and carefully and even by this 4th book they are still myth and bedtime stories amongst the commoners and dismissed as people simply seeing things amongst the nobles. Its a fascinating series and not for the faint of heart, but I recommend it to anyone that enjoys Fantasy.

Nelskie
January 16th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Some recent books I've read include:

1.) Desert Solitaire - Edward Abbey
2.) The Singing Wilderness - Sigurd F. Olson
3.) Journey To Ixtlan - Carlos Castaneda

The first two books are books with a geograhpical / natural subject matter, written from the author's first-hand account. Carlos Castaneda's book deals with the teachings of a Yaqui Indian named Don Jaun, who is known as a "brujo" amongst his native people (spiritual man / sorcerer). This book is part of a multiple-book series, of which I think there are (3). Cool stuff.

EscalonJon
January 20th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Over the Christmas/New Year Holidays, I read CLAPTON'S GUITAR by Allen St. John. It's a great book about a luthier and Blugrass/Ole Timey guitarist named Wayne Henderson in Rugby, Virginia. It's a great story that intertwines luthiery and guitar playing with great sub-stories and personalities. It's a wonderful read for a non-guitarist, and riveting for anyone who is into guitars. It inspired me to buy a 0028 Stew-Mac kit and graduate from hobbying and building electrics and try my hand at building an acoustic.

jpfeifer
January 20th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I've read a couple of very interesting books lately.

"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho:
This is a great book for anyone who is looking for inspiration to follow a life-long dream. It's a story about about a shepard in Spain who learns how to jouney within his own heart to find his "personal legend" and follow it. It takes him on a long quest where he meets various people along the way who help him persue his dream. He eventually meets a true alchemist and learns even more. It's a cool book that touches on philosophy but it has a lot of good lessons for life in it.

"The Tipping Point "by Malcolm Gladwell:
This is a book that explains how trends in society get started and propagated. It's a very interesting read and it covers a lot of case studies about things such as clothing styles, TV shows, music, and even crime-rates and how they all follow the same kind of pattern that most trends follow.

Another good book by Malcolm Gladwell is called "Blink":
This is a book that describes the power of your subconcious mind and how it helps you in creative problem solving, etc. It will make you look at all creative thought in a new way. It gives some creedence to the idea that you have to think less to allow creative ideas to flow more, which is something that a lot of songwriters, painters, and other people in the arts have subscribed to for a long time.

-- Jim