PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Wah

ShortBuSX
May 5th, 2007, 07:49 AM
I wanna get a wah but notice there are soooo many options...where do I start? Whats to know?

duhvoodooman
May 5th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Well, the first thing you need to do is decide what features you want. You can go with anything from a basic wah to ones with all kinds of bells & whistles. You could even opt for a multi-effect "expression pedal" like the Digitech Expression Factory, which does two diferent wahs and five other pedal-controlled effects.

Just an observation--I've seen an awful lot of positive comments about the Dunlop Crybaby 535Q multi-wah pedal recently. Seems to be a very popular model with professional guitarists, from what I've read.

marnold
May 5th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Well, the first thing you need to do is decide what features you want. You can go with anything from a basic wah to ones with all kinds of bells & whistles. You could even opt for a multi-effect "expression pedal" like the Digitech Expression Factory, which does two diferent wahs and five other pedal-controlled effects.

Just an observation--I've seen an awful lot of positive comments about the Dunlop Crybaby 535Q multi-wah pedal recently. Seems to be a very popular model with professional guitarists, from what I've read.
I have the Digitech Expression Factory. I've read people's complaints online about the wah models, although I can't figure out why. The "throw" on the pedal seems to be a bit more limited than the Crybaby, but that could either be a good or bad thing, depending on your point of view. I'd suggest trying them both for yourself.

The big catch with the EX7 is the price: $199. Check eBay, though. I got mine brand new for $149. When you consider that MF has the 535Q for $120, the EX7 looks better. Plus you get all of the Distortion Factory stompbox models, not to mention Uni-Vibe, Leslie sim, A/DA flanger, etc. The "interface" for getting at all of this stuff leaves a little bit to be desired, but it packs a lot into a wah-sized pedal. It's built like a tank. I think you could beat someone to death with it.

For a while, I was thinking of trading my EX7 in for one of the Digitech RP series. I decided to stick with the EX7 in the end. It's got a mixer-out too so you can use it for recording at home--something I haven't played with a ton but will be.

ShortBuSX
May 5th, 2007, 10:59 AM
My buddy has a Dunlop Q...but I dont know which one he has. I asked him(after posting) and he said he liked it cause it didnt have a push button switch, and Ive seen our other buddy struggle to switch his on.

I have a Digitech RP200 and hate the Wah on that...its good if you just want a taste, and I liked alot of the other features...but the wah was the lowest on the favs. I dunno, this Expression Factory would have to really improve upon that. Which reminds me, another one of my gripes was the inability to use multiple effects at the same time.

Any opinions on the Vox wahs? I try to be brand loyal whenever I can.

Big_Rob
May 5th, 2007, 11:25 AM
I went cheap with my wah with the Behringer Hellbabe at 30.00.

http://www.behringer.com/HB01/index.cfm?lang=ENG

It supposedly models this wah

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=275

I haven't found too much to complain about my wah other than that It could have more sweep range and Ive read about mods for that, I just don't want to mod it out and void the warranty

Spudman
May 5th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I have 5 different wahs.

If you can find an old Thomas Organ Cry Baby get it. Expensive and rare.
Otherwise, first on the affordable list would be the standard Dunlop Cry Baby.
If you want the most sweep possible - the Dunlop Hendrix Cry Baby.
Less sweep - more options - 535Q wah.

I found that for my tastes the Morley Bad Horsie lacked that certain something in sound, and the way it engaged was not working for me (step on it and it comes on).

The Fulltone Clyde is great but pricey. Yet another good option is the Vox wah and it's a bit more affordable.

Hope that helps.

Big Rob -why do you even worry about the warranty on a $30 wah pedal?

ShortBuSX
May 5th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I just found out my buddy has the 95Q...Im doing some reading....but Im liking that you dont have to smash it for it to come on.

Robert
May 5th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Spud, the Standard Cry Baby (or any other wahs you mention) , does it suck a lot of tone when it's not engaged?

I have a Fulltone Clyde Wah, and it does not suck any tone when it's not on. However, I don't quite like it as much as I want to like it. The sweep is almost too much, and I find it hard to get a good fat tone when adding gain/distortion.

duhvoodooman
May 5th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Spud, the Standard Cry Baby (or any other wahs you mention) , does it suck a lot of tone when it's not engaged?
I'll let Spud answer for himself, but my Std. Cry Baby doesn't suck tone at all. From what I understand, it was the really old ones that did this. But a long time ago (20+ years?), Dunlop converted the Cry Baby design to use a high impedance input buffer, essentially eliminating tone-sucking. But I'll bet that Thomas Organ one does, unless it's been modified with a modern input buffer....

Spudman
May 5th, 2007, 01:20 PM

NO. I have a separate pedal for tone suck.:rolleyes:

The Thomas Organ does but I've thought about wiring it true bypass.
The 535Q - not as much. The Hendrix I can't really tell.

You'll have to check Dunlop's site but I think they started wiring true bypass on some models right from the factory.

duhvoodooman
May 5th, 2007, 01:22 PM
NO. I have a separate pedal for tone suck.
Hey, my tone sucks naturally!! I don't need no steenkin' pedals! :D

Robert
May 5th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Hey, my tone can suck a golf ball through a garden hose. :D

Spudman
May 5th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Hey, my tone can suck a golf ball through a garden hose. :D

Ya, we've all noticed that.:D

ShortBuSX
May 15th, 2007, 07:06 AM
So I bought the 95Q, cost me $119 locally. Its solid, works nice, non switched, has a Q knob and a boost knob, with a nice lil kickable 15% boost button.

I havent really used any pedals in years and never owned a Wah...so its all new to me, but Im having fun! Any tips, tricks, or cool songs I need to learn?