PDA

View Full Version : reduce finger noise

hkrle
May 5th, 2007, 10:31 AM
have u guys heard of some material helping to reduce finger noise from the strings on fretboard after put it on the fingers?
Thanks!

Spudman
May 5th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Technique my friend. :) Or change your brand of strings. Some do it more than others. What gauge do you use? Brand?

ShortBuSX
May 5th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Noise gate!

hkrle
May 5th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Technique my friend. :) Or change your brand of strings. Some do it more than others. What gauge do you use? Brand?

Ernie Ball 10-46 regular slinky. any good suggestion? thanks!

hkrle
May 5th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Noise gate!

compression pedal? It works for finger / fret noise? thanks!

Spudman
May 5th, 2007, 09:04 PM
compression pedal? It works for finger / fret noise? thanks!

A compressor is different than a noise gate. The noise gate works well to get rid of unwanted noise if you are using high gain. The compressor will keep whatever noise you have at what ever level you set the compressor output. Otherwise, it's going to be a technique thing.

Experiment. See if you can get your finger noise level down a little on your own just by being aware of how much you drag your fingers on the strings when changing positions.

hkrle
May 5th, 2007, 10:25 PM
does it mean noise gate can minimize the finger noise? does it affect the original guitar sound? thx!

Spudman
May 6th, 2007, 10:23 AM
does it mean noise gate can minimize the finger noise? does it affect the original guitar sound? thx!

See Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_gate

tot_Ou_tard
May 6th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Fingerease or Fast Fret.

hkrle
May 7th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Fingerease or Fast Fret.

How far does 'finger ease' work? thanks!

Plank_Spanker
May 10th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Noise gates won't mute string noise. Compressors definitely won't do it. Finger Ease and Fast Fret? No on both.

Flat wound strings will do it, but to me they sound dead and lifeless.

That leaves technique - don't drag your fingers across the strings when you move, and get your muting technique dialed in - sometimes easier said than done.

Big_Rob
May 10th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I use fingerease, but I also play on Diaddario Chromes which are flatwound to combat finger noise.

The only drawback to those strings are that they sound more mellow

Spudman
May 10th, 2007, 05:00 PM
That leaves technique - don't drag your fingers across the strings when you move, and get your muting technique dialed in - sometimes easier said than done.

+1 You gotta do it manually.

Big_Rob
May 11th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Noise gates won't mute string noise. Compressors definitely won't do it. Finger Ease and Fast Fret? No on both.

Flat wound strings will do it, but to me they sound dead and lifeless.

I have to use a harder pick attack to get any kind of brightness out of them, Although for dark thrash metal rhythms and cool jazzy sounds they rule.

Latley Ive been contemplating changing back to roundwounds because I want more brightness.