PDA

View Full Version : DVM's Screamin Banshee OD Pedal

ShortBuSX
May 5th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Ive had this thing since about Wednesday, and since then Ive been playing alot more! But mostly Ive been tinkerin with my tone with my amp(VOX ad30vt) and my new pedal. I think Ive got my amp somewhat dialed in...but now Im playing with the different opamps. I played with the TS808 for the first 2 days, but yesterday I swapped it for the TS9...and Im really diggin it! A little moreso than the other, Id describe it as less "ching-y" and more clean drive.
Im kinda anxious to try the other opamps but Im totally diggin where Im at now...has anybody tried the others yet? Observations???

BTW DVM, everybody who has seen or played this has loved it...even the bass player. Whens the next batch???

PS check your PM box DVM.

ShortBuSX
May 5th, 2007, 10:55 PM
No opamp notes? Compairisons?

duhvoodooman
May 6th, 2007, 12:08 PM
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=239977

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2469

ShortBuSX
May 7th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Thanks DVM...how many of those Zonkers did you sell? I guess everybody just uses the one you plugged in for em? *shrug*

duhvoodooman
May 7th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I sold five of them. I'm pretty sure Tone2theBone has played around some with his opamps....

ShortBuSX
May 7th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Hope you dont mind me quoting your PM...

One other thing--none of the opamps I included with your Banshee are what I'd call a "TS-9 chip". Most TS-9's were made with the same JRC4558D opamp as the TS-808. The key differences are elsewhere, in a couple of resistor ratings. Some TS-9's do come with a rather inferior opamp called the TA75558P, but I certainly wouldn't include one of those. So I'm curious--which one are you referring to as the "TS-9" chip?

I guess I just assumed that it was the TS-9 by the description given as well as the 9 in the number

its first cousin, the TI RC4559P

But thats which one Im using currently.

duhvoodooman
May 7th, 2007, 09:00 AM
By "first cousin", I was refering back to the RC4558P chip, which is used by several boutique pedal builders for Tube Screamer clones. The RC4559P is one of my favorite TS chips. To my ear, it's a tad grittier and fuller sounding than the stock JRC4558D chip, but a little more articulate than the RC4558P. These are pretty subtle differences, though.

My current favorite TS chip is the TI TLC2272ACP, which I bought after my original batch of ZYS IC's. It seems to do everything well. Very nice single note clarity for soloing, while still maintaining a nice grind for chord work. $1.55 each at Mouser.com.

Tone2TheBone
May 7th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I have played around with the opamps yeah but I'm currently using the STM LM833N. Voodoo says it's tailored to high gain/low noise applications. I don't play with high gain per se but I do like that bit of edge on the pedal and I'll use my guitar volume knob backed off to clean up the sound. I like the way it hits the amp that way. My guitar volume knob is seldom ever turned up all the way, it's usually backed off to about 7 or so. I run treble bleeds on my guitars and I like the way it behaves with the knob on 7/8.

duhvoodooman
May 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Yup, the LM833N is a bit less noisy when using the ZYS's high gain setting, which is about 4x the stock TS gain. Since the Banshee uses the stock gain range, I didn't include the LM833N among the opamps for that pedal, substituting the RC4559P instead.

ShortBuSX
May 8th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Got home and fired everything up, but when I fired up the OD pedal everything went all muddy,the bass was farty sounding...it was so bad I had to double check my bass setting(maybe my cat tweaked it)...everything was fine, then I got to thinking maybe I drove the speaker to an untimely death...then for some reason I decided to replace the 9 volt it put in the pedal days ago, BIG surprise! That was it! Im a total dumass and should have known better...Its been years since Ive had individual foot pedals, I guess for some reason I thought things were different.

BTW I also swapped out/tried the boutique opamp...sounds nice, but the difference is even more subtle than the last swap.