PDA

View Full Version : New guitar in the house! (Deluxe Player Stratocaster)

Robert
May 5th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Went and tried a bunch of guitars today. I liked the Highway 1 a lot too, but decided to go with a Deluxe Player Stratocaster.

It has an ash body, Rosewood fretboard, noiseless pickups. Pics to come soon...

It's always hard to decide, especially with 5 metal kids around playing their heaviest riffs all the time, but I think I got a pretty good one.

It may not be the "truest" Strat out there, but it is quite versatile and I think it looks cool and is nice to play.

More to come... ;)

Tone2TheBone
May 5th, 2007, 08:14 PM
You bought a new Strat? I don't believe you that intro sounded so dang understated! Congrats! What color did you get? Blue with rosewood? Show show show!

Katastrophe
May 5th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Awesome, Robert! I don't think you'll be disappointed at all in the long run with your choice.

Now, get to postin' a pic or two!:D

warren0728
May 5th, 2007, 08:41 PM
very cool robert....of course we need pics and clips!! :DR

ww

Spudman
May 5th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Congratulations! I'd love to see it too.
Does yours have the Samarium Cobalt pickups or the Vintage Noiseless?

t_ross33
May 5th, 2007, 09:36 PM
It doesn't exist until we see a clip ;) :p

ted s
May 5th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Way to go Robert, you've been talking about a nice Strat for a while.

Robert
May 5th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Yep, I sured did buy a new Fender Strat! First time I've ever done that...

I sounded understated because in the end I bought on a whim. Not sure yet if I love it (only played it a few minutes really, but I do like it.) They were closing the store and I liked the feel of a gray one, but it looked kinda ugly so I just grabbed a different a guitar with different color and quickly test-played it, payed up and left.

It has the Vintage Noiseless pickups.

ShortBuSX
May 5th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Those are the ones Ive had my eye on!!! I want the burst with maple...ah, and gold trimmings, Mmmmmm!!!

SuperSwede
May 6th, 2007, 01:16 AM
juicy pics please :)

Congrats

Robert
May 6th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Here is my baby:

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/uploads/fender-deluxe-players-2.jpg
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/uploads/fender-deluxe-players-3.jpg
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/uploads/fender-deluxe-players-1.jpg

warren0728
May 6th, 2007, 05:45 PM
very nice robert...can't wait to hear it!

ww

sunvalleylaw
May 6th, 2007, 06:48 PM
very nice robert...can't wait to hear it!

ww

Ditto! Big time Congrats! I am sure you will make it your own.

duhvoodooman
May 6th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Whoa, NICE!!! I love blue guitars!! Can hardly wait to hear you lay down a few tasty lick with it! CLIPS! CLIPS!! CLIPS!!!

F_BSurfer
May 6th, 2007, 07:35 PM
very nice!!!!! like the blue& tortoise shell pickguard

Spudman
May 6th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Gorgeous! You better post that in the "my blue guitar" thread.

Tim
May 6th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Good looking guitar there Robert. What's going to happen with the old "51? She might get envious of the newest member.

t_ross33
May 6th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Good looking guitar there Robert. What's going to happen with the old "51? She might get envious of the newest member.

I'd be more than happy to give 'er a good home ;)

Nice git, Robert. I like the woodgrain. I don't think I've ever seen the grain thru a blue finish on a fender before. Can't help but wonder what she'd look like with a white perloid pick guard though. Maybe I'm just picky? :p

Then again, the way you can play, it could be puke green with a rusty orange pickguard and it'd still be cool! LOL!

Seriously though, nice guitar. Congrats on the Strat. I know you've been thinking about this purchase for a while. So... what's next? (Funny how you can never reach the top of the gear mountain, eh?)

Peace,

Trev

Robert
May 6th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Tim, my old "Dark Wing '51", she'll stay in the backup stable.

Trev, what's next? Well, I am thinking a Maz 18 JR non-reverb, and maybe getting a Cry Baby wah.

I am also thinking of getting rid of some guitars - a Squier Strat and an SX Ibanez-style guitar. Maybe the SX Strat too. I just have too much stuff I never use.

Some day, I will get myself a Suhr Classic. Gotta save for that one though... or else sell of everything I've got for that one guitar...

SuperSwede
May 7th, 2007, 02:05 AM
My my... thats a really nice blue finish!

Btw, Robert you really need to oil/paint that fence! :D

elavd
May 7th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Congratulations Robert!!!

I wish that this guitar brings even more inspiration to your playing ;)

Can't help but wonder what she'd look like with a white perloid pick guard though. Maybe I'm just picky?
I agree that this color combination doesn't fit with my taste either....:rolleyes:
I would probably put a perloid pickguard too...

I used to have the "predecessor" model of Fender, the Deluxe Super Strat:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/elavd/elavdstrat.jpg
I had immediately changed the stock pickups with the Vintage Noiseless (Was I some kind of prophet or what???:D) but I didn't like the sound at all...It wasn't true strat sounding...

But if you like their sound, my opinion is worthless :)

By the way, is it light or heavy? I know that ash is usually heavier than alder.

Trev, what's next? Well, I am thinking a Maz 18 JR non-reverb, and maybe getting a Cry Baby wah.
Why would you need a Cry Baby, when you already have an RMC Wah (if I remember correctly...)??:confused:

kerc
May 7th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Robert....that Strat looks AMAZING!

elavd
May 7th, 2007, 08:18 AM
While we are waiting Robert to record a clip, you can see and hear the Deluxe Player Strat, played by Peter Stround in these videos where he demonstrates some EHX pedals:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/news_story/a/news_id/e/509

:)

abraxas
May 7th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Love the guitar! :DR I'm a sucker for blue guitars as well!

Even like the fence; very vintage looking! :R

6STRINGS 9LIVES
May 7th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Way to go Robert , thats a wild lookin axe ..enjoy...6S9L

tremoloman
May 7th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Robert - I'm so happy you got a real Strat! That guitar is awesome... I've been drooling at that model ever since it came out. NICE! :)

Now lets hear it!

Riley
May 7th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Awesome Deluxe!!!!! They are sweet Strats, our local shop has one just like that! :)

Tone2TheBone
May 7th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Wow pretty guitar Rob congrats!

Justaguyin_nc
May 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Wow Robert! That is a beauty.... love the grain.. can't wait to hear your scream'n solos!!!

Nice buy!!

Tone2TheBone
May 7th, 2007, 02:24 PM
.....and it must play nice because we haven't heard a peep from Robert all day today. LMAO Yes I agree with the nicely relic'd fence. All fences should look like that. *nods*

t_ross33
May 7th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Btw, Robert you really need to oil/paint that fence! :D

I'll bet it's just "relic'd" :D

EDIT: Oops! I'm going to retract this outrageously funny comment, as I see that Tone beat me to it :o

I can't keep up with you guys. Maybe I should start "Visiting From Work" :D

tot_Ou_tard
May 7th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Here is my baby:

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/uploads/fender-deluxe-players-2.jpg
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/uploads/fender-deluxe-players-3.jpg
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/uploads/fender-deluxe-players-1.jpg
Holy freakout Robert!!! I love the blue, not so sure about the pickguard tho'.

I hope you're loving that beaut!

tot_Ou_tard
May 7th, 2007, 06:44 PM
.....and it must play nice because we haven't heard a peep from Robert all day today. LMAO Yes I agree with the nicely relic'd fence. All fences should look like that. *nods*
Robert bought it new with the strat. It cost a pretty penny to have it relic'd like that.

Robert
May 7th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Haha, you guys are too funny! I've been away all day being an extra in a movie! Left at 6am, came back 8pm - long day.

Yeah, since I don't have a real vintage strat from the 60s, at least I have a vintage fence.

Patience guys, I will try and record something as soon as I find some time.

Glad you like the looks of it, I do too!

kerc
May 7th, 2007, 08:28 PM
An extra? A Spartan? :D

tot_Ou_tard
May 7th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Haha, you guys are too funny! I've been away all day being an extra in a movie! Left at 6am, came back 8pm - long day.

What movie?

Robert
May 7th, 2007, 08:48 PM

What movie?

This one - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0991150/

I wasn't a Spartan, just a guy with his daughter at the L.A. airport on Christmas Eve, on their way home.

Leonidas
May 30th, 2007, 06:26 AM
I just got a chance to listen/watch that clip of your new strat Robert (haven't been on in a while)... my god!! That sounds fantastic!! The combo of guitar, amp, and the ZYS.. I think you hit something amazing there. now you got me GASing for a strat!

Congrats again, sounds great! :DR

Robert
May 30th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Thanks Leonidas! Check out my Minor Plexi thread too with an mp3 recording from last night.

It's a cool guitar!

Tinky-Winky
June 19th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Congratulations Robert! Finally, I think it's fair to say you've bought a guitar that does justice to your playing (well - apart from that suhr!). I've got to agree with everyone, it sounds great, and a discernible difference from your previous ones.

pes_laul
July 4th, 2007, 06:57 PM
yeah rober are the standar HSS strats good guitars cuz i might be able to scrape enough money for that

Blaze
March 12th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Where is that new one ...??

I like your potato pedale in your pics showroom, does it sound a little like frenh fries ??

Frogie_Blazes

Robert
March 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM
This is what it looks like now:

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/uploads/fender-deluxe-players-maple.jpg

The potato pedal is dangerous - it turns my fingers into french fries if I'm not careful.

Duff
March 27th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Am I imagining things or did you have a Fender Deluxe Players Strat now for a couple years? I thought I saw one listed in your gear summary for some time. Did you get a new one?

By the way that looks like a sweet guitar. Does that have vintage noisless pups? If so how do you like them?

Duffy

Robert
March 27th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I've had it almost a year. It's the only one I've ever had. It has vintage noiseless pickups, yes. They are good sounding to me. Lots of videos on my site! It looks quite beautiful, I'd have to agree. It gets noticed, when I bring it to jam sessions.

Ger the man
March 28th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Nice machine there Robert! Im in the market for a strat myself - will probably go a deluxe, (would love a Pensa though!)

Cheers

Duff
March 28th, 2008, 06:26 PM
My girlfriend's son is 16 and one of the best guitar players I've ever seen. He has been playing for five years and studied Robert Johnson and Delta Blues, Youtube, etc. He knows about bluemen that I've never heard of. He plays without a pick most of the time and has a Guild acoustic and a mim Fender 60th Aniv. special ed. The kid also plays classic rock and doesn't thrash or play the stuff that a lot of kids today play, including my son.

Anyway this kid is an expert player, going on master and he is certain that he wants to put vintage noisless on his 60th Aniv Fender strat. What would you think Robert, having a Deluxe Players Strat with those pickups. He like the vintage sound and wants to not have the noise.

Duff

tot_Ou_tard
March 28th, 2008, 07:27 PM
My girlfriend's son is 16 and one of the best guitar players I've ever seen. He has been playing for five years and studied Robert Johnson and Delta Blues, Youtube, etc. He knows about bluemen that I've never heard of. He plays without a pick most of the time and has a Guild acoustic and a mim Fender 60th Aniv. special ed. The kid also plays classic rock and doesn't thrash or play the stuff that a lot of kids today play, including my son.

Anyway this kid is an expert player, going on master and he is certain that he wants to put vintage noisless on his 60th Aniv Fender strat. What would you think Robert, having a Deluxe Players Strat with those pickups. He like the vintage sound and wants to not have the noise.

Duff
Does he have any clips/videos?

Robert
March 28th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'd say they are good sounding pickups. It may also be worth looking into the DiMarzio noiseless pickups - they are very good. I have a feeling they could be better sounding than the Fender ones, but I'm just thinking out loud. The only way to really tell is to compare to strats each with a different set of pickups.

DiMarzio Virtual Vintage and Area 58 and Area 61 - are there more DiMarzio noiseless strat pickups?

t_ross33
May 4th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Vintage Noiseless (http://store.guitarfetish.com/coju20nepino.html)

I'll probably wait to hear some reviews, but if they are anything like their other p'ups, I'll likely be shelling out for a set :)