PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie Earl!!

duhvoodooman
May 7th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Man alive, how have I missed hearing this guy up until just a few days ago?? I had heard the name a couple of times, but I finally heard one of his tunes on a CD that a coworker & fellow guitar player recorded from a local college radio station's weekly blues program. The tune is San-Ho-Zay, an old Freddie King blues instrumental, recorded by Ronnie and his band, the Broadcasters, live on tour in Europe in the mid-90's. In any case, Mr. Earl just flat tears it up--brilliant playing and a gorgeous, ringing Strat blues tone. I'm definitely going to order a couple of his CD's, including the one this tune came from, Blues Guitar Virtuoso Live In Europe. Any of you Fretters have any other particular recommendations from his catalog?

Big_Rob
May 7th, 2007, 08:42 AM
They play Ronnie Earl quite a bit on Sirius Blues 74 and I got to agree with you on his total awesomeness. :D

guitartist
May 9th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I'd read about him in guitar mags years ago but had forgotten about him, having never heard any of his stuff. On a lark a while back I bought his Arlen Roth instructional video "Hot Licks: Ronnie Earl - Blue Guitar With Soul" and I was flat-out floored by it. (it was only available on vhs when I got it, its out on dvd now). I wound up buying "Blues Guitar Virtuoso Live in Europe" shortly thereafter and it was one of my favorite cd purchases made last year (and I boiught a lot of cds last year). I also got "Plays Big Blues", a studio album...its great too, but I like the live cd a lot better. Get the Hot Licks dvd, you'll be glad you did!

Jamie O
May 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM
You wanna talk about missing this guy? I LIVE in the state the dude's from, and I supposedly am a big fan of blues guitar, and have never been to see him! Pretty lame of me. Ive got a CD he recorded a couple years ago with Duke Robillard, the guy who preceeded him as guitarist for Roomful of Blues way back when. Duke is a monster too, a bit more on the jazz side than Ronnie. Oh yea its called "The Duke Meets The Earl". Pretty good!

tot_Ou_tard
May 14th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Ronnie Earl & Duke Robillard are both fantastic.

"The Duke Meets the Earl" is a pretty cool title.

guitartist
May 14th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Ronnie Earl & Duke Robillard are both fantastic.

"The Duke Meets the Earl" is a pretty cool title.

I wonder if they were inspired to name it that by "The Count Meets the Duke" album? (Count Basie & Duke Ellington).

Yep, Duke Robillard is a great player too....his Hot Licks video is well worth checking out...he's really got the T-Bone Walker style down.

Hogfullofblues
May 14th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Mr Intensity has been around a while and released a ton of albums with the Broadcasters, solo and guests, and I don't think you could go wrong with any of 'em. I read somewhere he has been thru some self inflicted tough times, but his newest releases are just a sweet. Here's some old and new to tide you over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiNeEwwkF5Y&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BEZ51vDFwk&mode=related&search=

Soul Searching (late 80's I think) and his newest Now My Soul are worth a listen. I also recall reading he has a few dates this summer in MA and CT, for those lucky one's in the area.

tot_Ou_tard
May 14th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I wonder if they were inspired to name it that by "The Count Meets the Duke" album? (Count Basie & Duke Ellington).

Yep, Duke Robillard is a great player too....his Hot Licks video is well worth checking out...he's really got the T-Bone Walker style down.
Yes, I'm sure that they did.

I love T-Bone. I've got the MOSAIC records T-Bone set.

They call it stormy Monday, but Tuesday's just as bad...

duhvoodooman
May 15th, 2007, 05:24 AM
....I'm definitely going to order a couple of his CD's, including the one this tune came from, Blues Guitar Virtuoso Live In Europe.
I picked up this CD and am very glad I did. Ronnie plays strong material with just a killer Strat blues tone, and his band, The Broadcasters, are great, too. About the only drawback I can think of for some folks would be the fact that this is a purely instrumental album, though probably not an issue for most of us here! I've seen YouTube videos with a vocalist, but nobody singing here.

Tone2TheBone
May 15th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Nice quackin' on them vids.....thanks for posting those Hog.