PDA

View Full Version : Yikes!

t_ross33
May 7th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I hope I haven't cooked my new amp! :eek:

I have been playing with my RP-80 thru the effects loop (send/return) after reading here and there that it's a good place for MFX to go. I understand that the RP is, in effect, a pre-amp as well so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. :(

I went to plug in tonight without the RP and I get nothing. Not even a hum or a hiss with the gain cranked up. I can faintly hear some signal coming through when the volume is dimed, but it's like listening on a tin-can telephone.

With the RP plugged in through the effects send/return loop and my guitar plugged into the amp - everything works fine... all functions, all channels. Even with the RP bypassed. Also works with the guitar into the RP and the RP connected to the effects return.

Any ideas? If it works with the RP in the loop, then fine... that's the way I want to be able to set it up anyway. But there are times I'd like to just plug and play, ya know?

sunvalleylaw
May 7th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Shoot man! Sorry, no clue here. But hope it works out all right!

duhvoodooman
May 8th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Try pulling the plugs out of both the FX send and return jacks....

M29
May 8th, 2007, 05:17 AM
A number of times I have had partially blow fuses that sound like that. I don't know if the amp has a fuse but I would check that too. When the fuse partially burns is ends up very thin and causes a resistance but it still works and makes a very weak and thin sound come through.

Just a thought.

M29

jasongins
May 8th, 2007, 05:37 AM

I'd be looking at this closely. It could be those jacks do some sort of switching in the amplifier when a cable is plugged in.

t_ross33
May 8th, 2007, 04:33 PM

Yep. Tried running straight into the instrument input with no FX loop... no dice :confused:

I thought of a fuse too (of which there isn't one user accessible that I can see), but everything works fine with the guitar plugged into the instrument input and the RP in the effects loop.

I thought it might be some sort of switching as well, but I'm not sure why it would work with the guitar plugged in as normal with the RP in the fx loop :confused: And why would it switch the preamp out of the signal path, but it's not really doing that either...

It only concerns me because it isn't operating as it should. I still intend on running the RP thru the fx loop anyway, so it certainly isn't slowing me down - just perplexes me.

Come to think of it, I never did fire it up with a guitar plugged staight in. I was so jazzed to try the RP in the fx loop that that is how I configured it on arrival. Maybe I'll have to ask the seller?

T

t_ross33
May 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Emailed Peavey customer service late last night, and I had not one, but two replies in my inbox at 8:30 am!

I've narrowed down the problem... and the winner is: jasongins! :D

Here's what one customer service rep said:

Although it could be caused by a bad connection anywhere between the input and output, it's probably caused by an "open" jack. Either the Effects Return, or Power Amp In jack. Because they are both switching jacks. In other words when you plug straight into them it switches off everything before them. I'll bet it's the Effects Return jack since the amp is working when the external effects is connected into the effects loop. You may try this as a test. While using a patch cord/instrument cable then connect from the Efects Send back into the Effects Return ( making a loop ). If you get an output then it's the Effects Return jack that is "open". When you plug into it you are forcing it to make an internal connection but when there isn't a plug inserted then it isn't making a good connection. So this jack will need to be tightened and cleaned; or replaced. Since it isn't easy to tighten one then you will probably need to get it replaced. But you can leave the cable connected and it will work.

I plugged a short jumper in and voila! Good enough to MacGyver it for the time being (and I didn't even have to use duct tape ;)).

++1 for customer service! I've always liked Peavey. Maybe it's not booteek, but their stuff is built solid, is affordable, and gets the job done. With such quick customer service response, these guys (and gals) are tops in my books!

Thanks for your input, everyone.

Trev