PDA

View Full Version : Sennheiser FP72 vs. Nady DKW8GT

stingx
May 8th, 2007, 06:18 AM
I have been doing a compare/contrast between the Sennheiser FP72 and the Nady DKW8GT UHF Guitar Wireless System. First off, the Nady is a single channel device, you have to order one of 8 specific models (1-8) with the product defaulting to Channel 1 if non is specified. You can order these online for about $80 USD, retail price being like $140. The Sennheiser is a 4 channel true diversity UHF system that can be ordered for $140 USD and retails for $499 (all the sites say this but that seems kind of high). The casing is metal on the receiver. The Nady produced 2 drops using the shite Chinese battery that came with it. No noticeable drops after replacing it with an Energizer. The Sennheiser came sans battery. I just popped a Duracell in there as I had a spare for one of my pedals. Both units allowed me to go insane distances from the receiver, much further than I would walk during a rehearsal or a show.

The drops, lack of ability to change frequencies, and not being dual channel ultimately drove me to call in for a shipping label to send back the Nady to AMS. The Sennheiser seems more solidly built and, try as hard as I could short of walking to my neighbor's backyard, I couldn't get the unit to cut out. In all fairness, neither system produced any coloration to the tone of the various guitars I tested them with. On a tight budget the Nady would prolly fair well - so long as no dropouts creep up. The Sennheiser boosts 10 hours of actually non-stop transmitter usage. I left the pack on for three, not using standby, and the signal was still pegging all the LEDs.

Since I already decided on the Sennheiser between the two, the real test comes tomorrow evening during band rehearsal. I am hoping that the unit runs just as flawlessly there as home. No reason it shouldn't really but that is really the big test, right...how it performs in real world application.

I'll follow up on this with the results. I enjoy not being tethered to a wire, really. I am quite impressed with this little device, especially for the amount of coin it cost.

Here's an image of the FP72:

http://www.levenly.com/photo/standard/fp72demo.jpg

For comparisonsake, here's the Nady DKW8GT:

http://www.americanmusical.com/images/b/p42690b.jpg

Justaguyin_nc
May 11th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Soooo... How did the wireless hold up stingX?

stingx
May 11th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Oh yeah. Forgot to update.

In a word, flawlessly. I can't see any reason to have to pay more. I notice that you do pay $100 more to get the small transmitter that plugs right into the jack but it doesn't make the unit better. You could pay more to have a broader amount of channels but 4 is enough for most rock outfits.

Not one dropout, no interference or static, and no tone loss. The ultimate compliment was my bandmate, when asked how my wireless sounded, replied he didn't even know I bought one and was unaware of it :) $140 well spent.

Justaguyin_nc
May 12th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Sounds like the way to go for wireless at that price...thanks for the info.. although I don't gig, it might get rid of some of these guitar cables running thru this room and allow me to walk around outside.

Plank_Spanker
May 12th, 2007, 05:28 AM
A good wireless rig is a godsend on gigs. I hate having the cord all wrapped up around my feet.