PDA

View Full Version : Teaching kids...

Katastrophe
January 15th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Hey all -

I've got an eight year old stepdaughter that I'm trying to teach a few things to. Right now were just working on chords and strumming, and playing and singing at the same time. Problem is, she doesn't have a very long attention span. Any hints for holding her attention while we go over the boring stuff?

She wants to learn, and is super smart. Whaddaya think?

Tim
January 15th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Short lesson spans (10 minutes max). Set the lesson into a mini jam sesson. That's what I do with my 7 year old grandson. He got a mini strat from Santa this year

marnold
January 15th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Two words: duct tape*

* For anyone reading this who happens to work for Child and Family Services, that is A Joke. Comedy. Ha-ha. Not to be taken seriously. Or internally.

Katastrophe
January 16th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Tim, good idea! I could learn one of her favorite songs, and she could sing and play along, or she could play rhythm with me or rhythm while I play lead...

And I want to get her one of those ministrats for me...uh...her playing.:R

marnold - duct tape????? ROFL!:D

marnold
January 16th, 2006, 09:15 AM
I've heard some pretty terrible things about those Fender ministrats. I've heard better things about the Daisy Rock guitars. I believe the Wilson sisters had some hand in designing them.

warren0728
January 16th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I've heard some pretty terrible things about those Fender ministrats. I've heard better things about the Daisy Rock guitars. I believe the Wilson sisters had some hand in designing them.

i got my son a squire bullet....it is lighter than the strat (thinner body) and has a full size neck....he loves it...now if i can get him to play chords cleanly!

ww

jpfeifer
January 16th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Hi Katastrophe,

First, I wanted to say "great job" for spending some time with your step daughter to teach her some guitar. You never know how much your influence will have an affect even when you think that you may not be making any progress.

It is harder to teach some of the younger kids to play just because of the fact that they may not be able to focus for as long as you would like, and also the physical limitations of their smaller hands. But with the right approach you can make some headway and get them going with some simple tunes. I would suggest that you focus on teaching her a song versus trying to teach any technique or theory just yet. Start very simple and give lots of positive feedback.

Try to find a song that she likes and work out a way to do this song with single-finger type of chords, maybe focusing on the lower 4 strings of the guitar (D G B E). Keep the technique to simple downward strums with the thumb or a pick. Then work out a song that you can do this way. Make sure to give lots of encouragement and make a big deal out of any progress that she makes to keep her confidence up. Or, find a tune that can be played as a simple melody and teach her to play it while you play chords to accompany her.

-- Jim

Tim
January 16th, 2006, 11:35 AM
There is a secret to playing the mini strat. I found out the hard way. I bought one for my grandson at GC. I took it home, put a new set up and strings on it. Then I tried to set up the intonation. I work on it for three hours on the day I bought it and about 2 hours the day after. When playing cords it sounded terrible. I could never get the harmonics to be equal.

So I decided to take it back for another one. MY luck …. the rest of the mini’s where sold. So I asked for the store manager. He asked me what I did, so I explained. So he said let’s give it a spin. He plugs the guitar in and plays oldies, heavy metal and some country licks. I was stunned!

I ask him what did he do so sound so good. Then he explains that the mini strats are made for kids. They have extra large frets. Kids cannot apply the pressure that adults do. Therefore when an adults plays a mini strat they apply too much pressure stretching the sting causing it to go sharp.

So I grab the guitar and strum a “C” chord. It sounded absolutely … so out of tune. Then I put less pressure on the strings. I strummed the “C” chord again and it was right on.

So now you know the secret of adults playing a mini strat (or a mini whatever).

As far as instructing the young kids, I show my grandson two chords. I noticed after 10 minutes they cannot hold the concentration and want to move on. So we just move to strumming the new chords to a CD in the key of the chords shown.

From what my daughter told me, he goes home and plays for hours. This kid will surpass me with in the next 18 months.