PDA

View Full Version : hiya

Jamie O
May 12th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Hey folks, my names Jamie, I'm 36 from Rhode Island, USA.I've been playing guitar since I was 14 and got back into it heavily 2 years ago, after spending a few just noodling around with an acoustic. I'm interested in alot of different music, love blues the most, as long as its not TOO much 12-bar and cliche lyrics. I'm currently playing with 1 other guitar player, who's more into jazz, and we basically are trying to write and perform instrumentals that sound good, and more importantly, complete, with just 2 guitars. We take it pretty seriously but have no intention of making a career of it, just too play as well as we can whether anyone else hears it or not.
Well thats about it! I've lurked around a bit here and the site seems pretty informative and constructive, and I look forward to speaking to you all. Thank you and good night!

ted s
May 12th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Welcome JamieO, this is a great forum. You're sure to like it.

Robert
May 12th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Welcome JamieO, good to have ya here! Gigging much?

sunvalleylaw
May 12th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Hi, JamieO! Welcome.

warren0728
May 13th, 2007, 05:19 AM
welcome Jamie O....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

tot_Ou_tard
May 13th, 2007, 05:35 AM
He hung 'round that ol' Fret ya' know
Yeah, he hung 'round that ol' Fret ya' know
This ol' blues cat named Jamie-O

...at least I didn't mention anything about killing a guy down in Memphis :D

oldguy
May 13th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Welcome to thefret.net, Jaimie-O! Glad to see you here. :D
I'll try not to get too far off-topic here, but I took a listen to SooDoe Fakee, and it sounds real good.
I kinda figured it would after hearing Red Peppers and Butterscotch Blues.
One of my favorites still has to be Twinkle Death, though. ;)
It's great you could join us here at TheFret, keep us updated on how your gigs are going.
BTW, on my clips as well, I played all guitars and bass (stop laughing).:p

oldguy

Spudman
May 13th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Hey there. Welcome!:D

duhvoodooman
May 13th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Jamie_O!

R_of_G
May 13th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the Fret Jamie. We have a lot in common. I too play with one other guy, and we are trying to make a complete sound from two guitars. I enjoy the interplay involved in filling out a sound without a full band. I only wish I had started when I was 14 [I am the same age as you, btw] bc I can't imagine how much better I'd be now. Oh well, at least I figured out 7 yrs ago I wanted to play. Welcome, and I hope you enjoy it here, the other members are very informed and very cool people.

Hey folks, my names Jamie, I'm 36 from Rhode Island, USA.I've been playing guitar since I was 14 and got back into it heavily 2 years ago, after spending a few just noodling around with an acoustic. I'm interested in alot of different music, love blues the most, as long as its not TOO much 12-bar and cliche lyrics. I'm currently playing with 1 other guitar player, who's more into jazz, and we basically are trying to write and perform instrumentals that sound good, and more importantly, complete, with just 2 guitars. We take it pretty seriously but have no intention of making a career of it, just too play as well as we can whether anyone else hears it or not.
Well thats about it! I've lurked around a bit here and the site seems pretty informative and constructive, and I look forward to speaking to you all. Thank you and good night!

Jamie O
May 13th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Gigging? Oy...we're still tryin to get it together enough to do an open mic night, God help us! we've known eachother since high school but our tastes have always been far enough apart to not really do anything together, but now that we're older we figured thats a waste of time, we could try to work some blues and jazz together as much as we could and just have fun, since niether of us are going to be the next replacement guitartist In GnR or anything!

It's actually pretty cool that you started later R of G. I look at my wife's piano all the time and think, "hmmm I really should have her teach me this thing." but its intimindating to start something new. So good for you man, just play!

And thanks for the up's on Soo-Doe Fakee, oldguy, thats actually the 1 song on my myspace that we're doing together. and good to see you!

ET335
May 13th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Welcome Jamie! Nice people here.:)

tot_Ou_tard
May 14th, 2007, 05:39 AM
It's actually pretty cool that you started later R of G. I look at my wife's piano all the time and think, "hmmm I really should have her teach me this thing." but its intimindating to start something new. So good for you man, just play!

Go for it! There are quite a few of us here you've just started playing guitar in our 40's. Since you already know how to play an instrument you'll have a great headstart. I started playing guitar a little over a year ago with absolutely to music background (save for listening).

The one thing that might make it harder for you is you might keep comparing your piano capabilities with your much more developed guitar skills. Don't do that! ;)

For me I get to compare my limited guitar skills with being able to do NOTHING. With that comparison, my skills look pretty good. :D

Tone2TheBone
May 14th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Welcome Jamie O!

guitartist
May 14th, 2007, 10:48 AM

I have a casio keyboard that I putz around on occasionally...its actually kind of fun to play an instrument you're not that familiar with - sometimes you can accidentally come up with some cool sounds that you probably wouldn't if you knew what you were doing!

I've been listening to a lot of Small Faces lately, and Ian McLagen's playing has inspired me to fool around with the keyboards more lately...he's no Keith Emerson, but I really like his playing a lot.

I grew up with a piano in the house....I'd play it occassionally, now I wish I'd played it a lot more, darn it.

Welcome Jamie O, I'm a newbie here myself, its a great bunch of informative & friendly guys here.

zeusse
May 14th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy your stay:)

Brian Krashpad
July 1st, 2007, 05:40 AM
Welcome Jamie! It's cool that like quite a few here you've got back into guitar past the sorta "traditional" age of teens and twenties. Guitar's a great hobby and pastime for expressing your artistic side.

I started in my teens, playing alone for my own enjoyment or at youth group meetings for the better over of a decade. Didn't get in a band til I was in grad school.

Been in at least one band almost ever since though.