PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Latest Song Musings

Matt
January 17th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Alright fellas, I was extremely bored this evening and decided to record something and see what you lot think :D timings nowhere near perfect, and theres no drums, bass or singing, just me doing the two guitar parts. Admittably this was inspired by 6S9L's 'Head Of A Pin' :D

All done on my '51, and some settings for my GFX-1 I found on the net which give an almost tube like sound- not quite there yet :P

Anyhoo, the song (ignore the title, I was just having a laugh):

p.s. 6S9L, do you mic your amps and then mix? i just record and try to get volume levels right and thats about it and have no idea how to mix properly. Meh, still learning!

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 17th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Hey Matt ..i'm diggin it bro ...you have a great sense of timing and phrasing , its hard to lay stuff down like that with out a rythm track but you did it and cheers , it kinda reminds me of a brian may thing tone wise , when i record i usually get the sound i'm lookin for from the amp then track it , then i'll get another tone from the amp and track it , when i've built up the basic idea in several tracks i mix it , while mixing i work on eq'ing and overall dynamics i combine the tracks so that i can hear both guitars, a good way to accomplish this at first is to pan one guitar hard left and the other hard right then bring both toward the center of the mix until you feel both guitar parts meld but still keep their own distinct flavour , Hey Matt I am going to archive that track you posted so that when you become famous i can say that i inspired you early in your career .. keep it up , keep recording your ideas after a time it will get easier to develop your own thing , be proud my friend be very very proud .... 6S9L

Matt
January 27th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Cheers 6S9L, your words mean alot :)

Anyhoo, here's a track I recorded directly using my new electro-acoustic into my pc, and the using the mixer out on the bad-monkey with my '51 (bridge, split coil) for the solo.

enjoy

SuperSwede
January 27th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Hey Matt,

Great chordwork and melody! :)
I think that the ac.guitar would sound even better if you added some compressor (or more if you already did) and turned down the overall recording level slighty.

Matt
January 27th, 2006, 03:45 PM
cheers SuperSwede.

I've added some compression, but I can't really hear the difference. I've also turned down the volume on all three layers. cheers for the input.

regards

Matt

Robert
January 27th, 2006, 04:26 PM
What! You managed to upload a 3.5 meg file? How interesting! Anyway, good job playing Matt, you've got talent.

Justaguyin_nc
January 27th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Nice matt! Dunno how you got Bored in that Jam.. liked it all... nice sounds...

Matt
January 27th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Nice matt! Dunno how you got Bored in that Jam.. liked it all... nice sounds...

Lol, it was created because I was bored :p Thank you for listening! I'm glad you liked it.

Anyway, good job playing Matt, you've got talent.

Coming from you, thats high praise indeed :) Thank you!

regards

Matt

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 27th, 2006, 08:30 PM
WOW Matt..that is realy a cool vibe realy liked the acoustic licks they fit really well into your overall arrangement, neat gilmour feel to the whole thing , and i can actually hear an inprovement since your last track , dont worry too much about pedals and effects they are like a spice, you have to feel where they will make the most impact and use them sparingly to have the greatest effect . i'll post a song shortly that we are working on , you can hear the hard pan on the guitars , left channel carrying the melody guitar the right carrying the punch guitar track which then sorrta blends into the lead break , its a useful technique when layering guitar parts . Anyway Bro keep it going, you have the ability , practice , practice .. 6S9L

SuperSwede
January 28th, 2006, 12:28 PM
cheers SuperSwede.

I've added some compression, but I can't really hear the difference. I've also turned down the volume on all three layers. cheers for the input.

The sound is more focused now.
Great song, keep em coming :)

Matt
January 28th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks guys. 6S9L, I look forward to hearing this new track of yours. Superswede, I recorded some stuff with a friend today, but I can't upload it because of the new upload limit. Anyone know of a good place to host files? The track in question will have singing on it once the friend can pluck up the nerve to do it :D

regards

Matt

SuperSwede
January 29th, 2006, 04:49 AM
I also looking for a low cost alternative to store my files, so I would also like some tips on this.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 30th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Hey Guys ..Nelskie was kind enought to send me this hosting site , i signed up today and will put some stuff up there tonight when i get home .. looks good ..and should solve our problems regarding limits and file size...http://www.soundclick.com/ 6S9L

SuperSwede
January 30th, 2006, 11:49 AM
6S9L, I found that savefile.com was very easy and fast. 20mb limit but it´s always a start. I uploaded my take on Backing Track 3 there, and it downloads quite fast.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 31st, 2006, 11:23 AM
CHEERS SUPER , I went to soundclick last night to upload some songs and the legal ramifications were a little spooky , and as we are currently shopping our tunes to various publishers , i sorta backed off a little , so savefile looks like it might be the way to go ... if i submit a song to soundclick they reserve the right to use it in compilations even if i end my arrangement with them , trainwreck waiting to happen if we get lucky ... thanks again ...6S9L

SuperSwede
January 31st, 2006, 11:45 AM
I have not read all of the "fine-print" on savefile.com, but it does seem more "serious" than the other sites. Did you try to download my recording? I got more than 100kb/s when I tried to download it. And that is quite good for a free web service! :)