PDA

View Full Version : Tune Up On A 67 Princeton Reverb

BARNSTORMER
May 14th, 2007, 10:41 AM
I inherited a 1967 fender princeton reverb from my uncle , its been sittting around my garage for the past 4 years . It works fine but ther are some weird noises that come and go . What would be needed to be replaced as part of a tune up to a 40 year old amp . I'm pretty positive that the old princeton has never been serviced in all of its life so I guess its time to have her brought back to spec .

6STRINGS 9LIVES
May 14th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Nice uncle .. , First if it doesn't have a 3 prong power cord , get one safety first .. If the amp has never been serviced then I would replace the cap can , the bias filter electrolytic cap ( the one nearest the power lamp) replace it with a 50v .. clean and retension your tube sockets , and give the pots a shot of de-oxit .. those amps came stock with some pretty good tubes, so even if you feel like replacing them keep the old ones dont let your tech " dispose" of them , keep all of the original caps as well .. love to see some pics I love those old blackface pr's ...

ShortBuSX
May 14th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Here is some info and videos about biasing
http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-video.htm

sunvalleylaw
May 14th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Nice uncle .. , First if it doesn't have a 3 prong power cord , get one safety first .. If the amp has never been serviced then I would replace the cap can , the bias filter electrolytic cap ( the one nearest the power lamp) replace it with a 50v .. clean and retension your tube sockets , and give the pots a shot of de-oxit .. those amps came stock with some pretty good tubes, so even if you feel like replacing them keep the old ones dont let your tech " dispose" of them , keep all of the original caps as well .. love to see some pics I love those old blackface pr's ...\

Heh, heh! I knew 6S9L was the man to answer that question! It's not his first rodeo in this area for sure.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
May 14th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Thats a great link Shortbusx, but so as not to confuse the issue princeton's are fixed bias cathode based circuits,
Hey Sunvaley it's only a matter of time before the vintage bug bites your mogul hopping butt, but be warrned she's a lady with expensive habbits ..lol

Mark
May 14th, 2007, 08:45 PM
When I refurbed both my Princetons I installed a bias adjust pot so I could dial it in with my DVOM. If you go to Antique electronic supply...
http://www.tubesandmore.com/

They sell direct replacement cap cans also replace the electrloytic caps in addition to what 6S9L stated. These are sweet and not to mention valuable amps these days. Is your amp a Silver face with or without the drip edge moulding around the grill cloth?

Heres my little collection one is a 64 6G2 Princeton and the other is a 69 blackline Dripedge PR. BTW they are beautiful in stereo!!

Edited for safety warning:eek: :eek: :eek: . If you decide to do the work yourself get the right tools and EDUCATE yourself. While some find it easy and fun to refurb these old beauties as I do. You can sho-enuff FRY/KILL YOUR KEISTER!! It isnt hard nor is it rocket science but you are dealing will high voltages! Make sure you know what your going to do before you get into it, lest yee wake up on the floor in a puddle of thy own pee!
Feel free to PM me for any advice Ill be happy to help you along.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Bigredhog/Amp%20Build/DSC01014.jpg

Spudman
May 14th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Cool Mark. Your Princeton Reverb on the bottom right looks just like mine.

BARNSTORMER
May 15th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks very much , nice amps Mark . 6S9L would it be possible to get a shopping list from you , what brand of caps would you suggest , whats de-oxit? I want to keep the amps as original as possible .
My uncle and my dad played in various groups together for about 30 years starting in the 50's , when my dad passed away 15 years ago he left all of his gear to his brother , I got one of his guitars , when my uncle died 6 years ago he left me all of the gear they had . I stored the amps in my garage and realy did not have much interest untill lately .now that the kids have all moved out and I have more time I plan on getting back to playing alot more .

6STRINGS 9LIVES
May 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Love those fenders Mark , the white knob princeton is sweet.
Barnstormer I will pm' ya a list

BARNSTORMER
May 26th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the list , 6S9L , those parts were just what the doctor ordered , the tech did a great job and your suggestion regarding the grid resistors was spot on .I swapped out the original speaker for that webber you recommended and am very happy so far , even broke it in with Smoke on the water for 24 hours , dude I gotta say you know your stuff . What a great group of people on this site, friendly and genuine , Robert ,congrats on a great forum , expect to get alot busier once word gets out about this place .
Hey 6S9L i've got a 1958 deluxe thats going to the shop next..

duhvoodooman
May 26th, 2007, 07:02 PM
A puddle of my own pee?? I'm sitting here in a puddle of my own DROOL looking at the photo of those four vintage Fender amps! SUH -WEET!!! :DR :cool:

6STRINGS 9LIVES
May 29th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Barnstormer , that 58 deluxe is a money pit you should send it to me before it breaks the bank ..lol ... Glad the princeton worked out for ya ..remember to hang on to the original parts , especially that oxford .. 6S9L