PDA

View Full Version : Crybaby and 95Q wahs

Robert
May 15th, 2007, 08:06 AM
How does the 95Q compare to the standard cry baby? What's the difference?

ShortBuSX
May 15th, 2007, 08:30 AM
The 95Q isnt switched, meaning you dont have to press down firmly on it to get it to start...you can ease into it real nice like.

Its also got a Q knob to where you can adjust the treble...as well as boost knob(upto 15% gain) thats complemented with a red push botton on/off switch thats easily kicked on with your big toe.

But to be perfectly honest with you I dont really know too much about...I really looked for a good compairison review or write up on Wahs...but to my surprise there isnt any kinda buyers guide for all the many similar models.

I will say this though, one of my friends has the 95Q and onther has a passive Wah...the guy with the 95Q never seems to have any issue, while the passive guy has to prectically jump up and down to get his workin and when his is on is really ON...I know his pedal needs an overhaul, but I think its great cause Ive seen the worst case scenerio.

[edit]BTW, this is the most informative link I found, but still leaves much to be desired as far as compairisons.
www.jimdunlop.com Wahs (http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/p_and_e_detail&cat=15)

duhvoodooman
May 15th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Differences are the Q-knob to change the wah intensity, a volume boost feature, and the auto-off/on feature.

From what I've read, the 535Q may not have the auto-off/on of the 95Q, but gives significantly more overall tonal flexibility and the street price is generally the same. I'm seriously looking into getting one and selling my old Cry Baby Classic on the 'Bay....

ShortBuSX
May 15th, 2007, 11:19 AM
From what I've read, the 535Q may not have the auto-off/on of the 95Q, but gives significantly more overall tonal flexibility...

Okay, I'll bite...how does it get more overall tonal flexability?

And the reason I ask is because I tried finding information out about this beforehand(kinda like Robert now)...but the information is limited and the responses are "personal preference"(which I understand but is still vague).

duhvoodooman
May 15th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Okay, I'll bite...how does it get more overall tonal flexability?
The 535Q has an additional control, "Wah Range", that lets you shift the pedal's wah frequency spectrum up and down. So while the Q control allows you to adjust the width of the wah range, this additional control lets you shift its position higher or lower. Put a different way, the Q changes the bandwidth and the wah range shifts the nominal midpoint of that range. In combination, they give a lot more flexibility than just the Q by itself.

ShortBuSX
May 15th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Thank you...I knew youd deliver;)

So thats what the big tele lookin knob is?

duhvoodooman
May 15th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Yup, 'xactly.

guitardan
June 12th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I've got the 95q, and I love it.
Had the classic, and tried several others, the switchless feature is awesome, I was considering a Morley, but they are too dang big for my modest pedal board.

The q adjustment is nice cause you can dial in what you need, I tend to keep it in the same spot. Volume boost is great too.

Best of all is the switchless feature, if you want just a little texture instead of a full waka waka, just step on lightly and your there, step off and its off.
Plus you start the FX at the back of the travel instead of the full treble of the toe down.

Just MHO:R

ShortBuSX
June 12th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Best of all is the switchless feature, if you want just a little texture instead of a full waka waka, just step on lightly and your there, step off and its off.
Plus you start the FX at the back of the travel instead of the full treble of the toe down.

Thats what sold me on it...but I couldnt really describe it as well...thank you!

Justaguyin_nc
June 24th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Excuse my ignorance.. I only know what I have read on Crybabies, in the market for one soon and will be one of the crybabies.. The 95q seemed like the one to get , but have read some things and would like some opinion on them here.

If the 95q works with optical for on/off, this is a great feature if you do not like turning your wah on and off with the button, but how do you use the wah now as a tonal device? do batteries eat up quicker?

Do alot of people like to rock their wahs to a certain position to change the tonal character during a song and leave it there? Would that not disapear if you take your foot off the 95q? would you have to stand there with your foot on it?

How much difference in sound quality from the 95q, original and classic with Fasel?

standard boss type connecters on all CryBabies?

so many wahs.. and just two feet..