PDA

View Full Version : Top 10...

MagicBaller21
January 17th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Songs that you ALWAYS seem to play!! (whether it be at Guitar Center, at a freinds house, wherever) Ive noticed that there have been a lot of "Top 10 _____" threads, and since im looking to find some new songs to learn, this is my roundabout way of doing so. So, put down your top 10 songs that you play when you pick up a guitar. Whether it be for testing, showing off, or just the funnest ones to play! I'll start it off!
1) Purple Haze - Hendrix
2) Voodoo Chile - Hendrix
3) Layla - Derek and the Dominoes
4) Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
5) (Crappy Rendition) Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry
6) Robert's Latest Guitar Video Lesson
7) Intro to Hey Joe - Hendrix
8) Intro to Little Wing - Hendrix
9) Couldn't Stand the Weather- SRV
10) My own song of some sort

Robert
January 17th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Haha, I am honoured to be on that list!!

Katastrophe
January 18th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Man, I LOVE messing with the employees at music stores (all in good fun, of course)...

1. Stairway to Heaven
2. Smoke on the Water
3. Iron Man
4. War Pigs
5. BAD version of "The Trooper" or "Flight of Icarus"
6. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)
7. FREEBIRD!
8. Rock n' Roll Hoochie Koo
9. Flirtin' with Disaster
10. Honky Tonk Women

Playing any one of those in a music store will guarantee a reaction of some sort. Be prepared to be kicked out, though.

At home:

1. FREEBIRD! (although it is hard to play with one hand, and the other holding a lighter in the air)
2. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)
3. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
4. Cold Shot
5. Who Do You Love
6. Stranglehold
7. Back In Black
8. Rock n' Roll Hoochie Koo
9. Eyes of a Stranger
10. TIE - Amazing Grace and the Top Gun theme...

Tone2TheBone
January 18th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Hey this is a pretty cool post.

Hmm lets see.

1. Not so much a song as it is a riff...soulful blues riff usually in the key of C for some reason I dunno it just sounds bluesier in C (it also resonates the low end best on my amps in that key is why I think I like C). Starting up in the high position...a fast run down low and ending with the E#7th. I ALWAYS play that everytime I pick up any guitar.

2. Songs songs...lets see...after the C lick I'll do the same thing in E. LOL

3. Then I do both all over again working on my alternating picking.

4. For some reason I start playing Clapton's Cocaine (the funkier modern live Guitar Festival version) in E when someone starts talking to me at home or when I'm on the phone when I'm playing. So theres a song. It's played in the quack position (neck and middle pup on the Strat). And I always see the black backup singers swaying in my head snapping their fingers.

5. Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Wall of Denial" in the quack position. The best quack position song ever.

6. Stevies version of "Little Wing" on the neck.

7. Stray Cat Strut rhythm and lead licks anytime I pick up my Les Paul clean.

8. "Spooky" on the Les Paul...again clean.

9. With the Marshall on the gain channel or the Vox on one of the gainy UK settings...on the Les Paul..."Heard it on the X" (ZZ Top), ALWAYS play "Nation Wide" (again ZZ Top)...the entire thing, all the parts. Then close with "Just got paid" (more ZZ Top).

10. Acoustic - many many songs and parts of songs...especially now since I've gotten my capo. The capo makes me play old Simon and Garfunkel songs. LMAO After my usual barrage of America songs I'll play "Hellhound on my Trail". The open "A" tuning Martin acoustic I'll play "Traveling Riverside Blues" and "Terraplane Blues" ala Robert Johnson. Always.

Nelskie
January 18th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Great post Magic! You know, it does vary from time to time, and also depending on the situation and mood, but here's what's on heavy rotation in my guitar-playing world - and I'll keep it to (10):

Distorted (heavy)
1.) Cold Gin - KISS
2.) Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith
3.) Just Got Paid - ZZ Top
4.) Crazy Train - Ozzy
5.) I Should Have Quit You Baby - Zeppelin

Clean (or acoustic)
1.) Intro to Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd
2.) Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
3.) Tumblin' Dice - Rolling Stones
4.) Presence of the Lord - Eric Clapton
5.) Tangerine - Zeppelin

Ask me next week, and it'll probably have changed!! :D

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 18th, 2006, 01:54 PM
LATELY ....these songs seem to be a totally unconscious thing with me ..invariably one of these songs just flows when i pick up the guitar , i never play my own stuff...its a funny thing ..

1. roundabout ...yes......checks intonation best for my ears
2. cortez the killer ...warren haynes
3. purple haze...jimmi
4. money for nothing..dire straits
5. get started (light a fire) ...graham parker
6. sweet jane....lou reed
7. people get ready ....jeff beck
8. misty mountain hop...zepp
9.pipeline ..dick dale
10. a texas blues shuffle thing ..vaughn brothers style ..