PDA

View Full Version : VOX woes

fendermojoman
May 16th, 2007, 12:58 PM
For what it's worth department:
For any of you considering a VOX AD30VT be aware:::mad:
I purchased mine 10/06 and just loved the EFX & power.
Mine never left the house and got about 6-8 hours use per week. All of a sudden 2 days ago it suffered a "meltdown" inside the case and quit working.::confused:
I checked the warranty and found it only was covered for 90 days.
Then I went to Harmony Central and checked the reviews on this model and had an eye opener. Many people had reviewed this model and complained about early failures! They are not worth fixing due to the low price and costs for repair. Vox's customer support should be illegal as it is totally useless. Waht a shame too. This amp is a really feature rich product and there's not anything else currently available that comes close except maybe the Line 6 Spider lll. I see that it's made in Viet Nam so perhaps the components are at the bottom of the barrel quality wise. . . . . . . and so it goes.:(

ShortBuSX
May 16th, 2007, 02:13 PM
What exactly is a "meltdown"?
Did you try the factory default reset?

aeolian
May 16th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I bought a used AD30VT about a year ago. I even went as far as changing out the speaker for a Celestion. I have not had any problems since I've had the amp. I read plenty about the issue with the input jack too but have not had a problem. I take it to a jam almost every week and it hasn't suffered from the trips either. I do have to say that I'm quite carefully with my equipment though.

I would go ahead and complain to Vox. Sometimes if you make enough noise they may do something for you.

Robert
May 16th, 2007, 02:52 PM
My AD50VT has never had a problem. I have had it for over 2 years.

duhvoodooman
May 16th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I'd echo some of the preceding comments:

Please define "meltdown". What exactly happened? For example, there would be a big difference between "just stopped working" and "saw a big puff of smoke & noticed a funny burning smell".
By all means, COMPLAIN TO VOX! If this is happening frequently, they may very well be providing warranty support beyond the standard 90 days. As an example, I worked for a major consumer electronics manufacturer for a few years, and they were providing free warranty service on a model that had a known design deficiency for units that were 5+ years old! Can't hurt to ask....
I've had my AD30VT for almost a year and a half with nary a hiccup. But I know that's scant comfort when yours isn't working!

marnold
May 16th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Actually, Vox has a pretty good repair policy. Most companies are moving to "replace only" policies. Vox will actually fix the stuff. I've had an AD30VT since November of 2004 and haven't had any problems. You definitely need to be more specific as to what "meltdown" means. Cuts out? Tube blew? Anything?

guitartist
May 16th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Dang, that sucks, FMJM. Sorry to hear that....

I've read on Harmony Central that Vox had problems in that area...when I bought my Pathfinder I decided to buy it in a local store, rather than mail order, so that if I needed to return it it wouldn't be a big hassle. Also opted for the deluxe warranty, something I never do (Sam Ashe offers a longer warranty than the standard Vox one, a year long I think).

I'm planning on getting a VOX AD30VT eventually, with so many features and an adjustable low-wattage tube circuit it seems like an amp I would really like a lot (so long as it keeps working).

When I get one, I will definitely opt for the deluxe Sam Ashe warranty again...thanks for the warning and good luck

tot_Ou_tard
May 17th, 2007, 05:06 AM
That is indeed a bummer fendermojoman.

There is still hope however. First try resetting it to the factory presets as mentioned by others.

You should also go on www.patchtronix.com (http://www.patchtronix.com) they can be of great help.

Please explain the issue in more detail.

Tim
May 17th, 2007, 08:55 AM
I have had my VOX AD30VT for over 2 years. I never had a problem with it. I would try the factory default reboot as suggested earlier by ShortBuSX.

fendermojoman
May 17th, 2007, 03:30 PM
What exactly is a "meltdown"?
Did you try the factory default reset?

A meltdown meaning a component inside fried, smoked and caused the amp to make wierd, warbleing sounds.:eek:

fendermojoman
May 17th, 2007, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=duhvoodooman]I'd echo some of the preceding comments:

[LIST]
Please define "meltdown". What exactly happened? For example, there would be a big difference between "just stopped working" and "saw a big puff of smoke & noticed a funny burning smell".
By all means, COMPLAIN TO VOX!

Lets see . . . a loud Pop, a puff of smoke and an erie lingering smell.
BTW- have you ever tried their "Customer Service"? Ha! Let me put it this way . . . they talk the talk but they just don't walk. Getting thru to talk to someone is impossible. :cool:

sunvalleylaw
May 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Dude, that is a big bummer. Sorry about that. Be a squeaky wheel and see if you can get some grease from them.

Fozzy
May 26th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I have had a Vox AD50VT for a year now and no problems. I would recommend this amp to anyone. You should provide more context for your problem if anyone is to offer more help.

kerc
May 28th, 2007, 07:35 AM
My experience with Vox (an 1998 Pathfinder and a little AC-1, built around 1998 too) has been great. Utterly reliable and great sounds. Of course, in ten years, quality could've gone down...