PDA

View Full Version : Joe Says Hello!

joe324
May 19th, 2007, 05:02 PM
hello all!
my name is Joe and i'm a budding musician!
i'm 14 been playing guitar 17 months with 3 guitars and 1 and 1/2 amps.
my equipment is;

yamaha f310 acoustic (set up by the luthier who sets up the guitarist from dire straights)
epiphone les paul special II in heratige sunburst- my first electric
a non-descript 3/4 spanish acoustic-my first guitar

my amps are ;

kustom bullet 10fx - good little amp (i'm a bedroom player)
and a 1w smokie amp deluxe! pall mall packaging!

i'm interested in upgrading my les paul any feedback welcome! and im in yorkshire , uk!

oldguy
May 19th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Hello, Joe! Welcome to TheFret., glad to have you with us!:D

Robert
May 19th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Welcome Joe!

Spudman
May 19th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Hi mate. Welcome to the forum.:)

sunvalleylaw
May 19th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Welcome Joe! Glad you joined us!

ted s
May 19th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Welcome Joe !

Hey Joe, where you goin' with that kustom bullet in your hand ?

warren0728
May 19th, 2007, 08:49 PM
welcome joe324....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

joe324
May 20th, 2007, 03:28 AM
thankyou for the hendrix quote :D it's not the first time i've heard it but many thanks non-the less!

:D keep on rockin'!

Tim
May 20th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Hi Joe. I envy your young age. I started playing at your age, but quit after a year. I have been kicking myself in the butt ever since. Keep playing that guitar. There is much talent on this net. You should learn a lot for these guys. Oh yea, welcome to the Fret Net!

SuperSwede
May 20th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Hey Joe!

Welcome to the fretnet.

ShortBuSX
May 20th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Ive of one of those! Mine is a pack of Harley Davidsons.
A friend gave me mine...Id like to reverse engineer one and start making them for friends of mine.

How do you like yours?

joe324
May 20th, 2007, 11:57 AM
if you do engineer an improve smokey can i have one of the produced ones? i thin i'll like it here!

edit: i like mine aslong its needed for a fuzz or distortion! :D

duhvoodooman
May 20th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Joe. :DR

So what kind of upgrades were you thinking about for that LP, anyway??

250Keith
May 20th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Im new here also, Welcome

joe324
May 20th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Joe. :DR

So what kind of upgrades were you thinking about for that LP, anyway??

anything that makes it sound better :D

WackyT
May 20th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Hey Joe, what d'ya know!

I'm new here also. Just picked up the guitar for the first time a couple weeks ago. Wish I'd started a long time ago.

joe324
May 20th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Hey Joe, what d'ya know!

I'm new here also. Just picked up the guitar for the first time a couple weeks ago. Wish I'd started a long time ago.

my parents thought it was a flash in the pan but 17 months down the road im still playing with no thoughts of slowing down!

ET335
May 20th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Welcome Joe! and keep on Rockin!:DR

tremoloman
May 20th, 2007, 10:00 PM
(singing) "Hey Joe... where are you going with that axe in your hand?"

Welcome aboard! :)

duhvoodooman
May 21st, 2007, 05:16 AM
anything that makes it sound better :D
Better pickups would be the obvious first upgrade. If you don't want to spring for a full set, maybe you'd want to upgrade the pickup you use more often, which tends to be the bridge for most folks.

What do you play most often? Do you want a vintage PAF tone or are you looking more a more contemporary aggressive sounding distortion?

Tone2TheBone
May 21st, 2007, 09:15 AM
Welcome Joe. :)

joe324
May 21st, 2007, 09:59 AM
Better pickups would be the obvious first upgrade. If you don't want to spring for a full set, maybe you'd want to upgrade the pickup you use more often, which tends to be the bridge for most folks.

What do you play most often? Do you want a vintage PAF tone or are you looking more a more contemporary aggressive sounding distortion?

personally i'd prefer something cleaner but with abit of overdrive can get "dirty" :D

my favourite music is indie such as weezer and kings of leon although i do Like some heavy rock and country and folk and even hendrix (the V Stuff he played)

if thats any help

duhvoodooman
May 21st, 2007, 11:54 AM
Well, if you want to stay on the clean side, I'd stick with the more vintage model humbuckers and avoid the very high output models, especially those with ceramic magnets. I'm most familiar with the Seymour Duncan models, because I have them in my two humbcuker guitars. The Pearly Gates model should be a good fit for you, since it fits your description of what you want very closely. If you want something a bit hotter than that, then the Custom 5 would be a good choice. There are, of course, many other good pickup brands to choose from. DiMarzio has a broad range of humbuckers available and the Pickup Picker feature on their website should let you zero in on a couple of models that match up well with your guitar's characteristics and the type of tone you're looking for. Many of these pickup maker's websites have sound clips that you can check out, too.

BTW, there are always a few used pickups for the more popular models available on eBay at any given time, so you don't have to pay the full "new" price.

joe324
May 21st, 2007, 11:58 AM
Well, if you want to stay on the clean side, I'd stick with the more vintage model humbuckers and avoid the very high output models, especially those with ceramic magnets. I'm most familiar with the Seymour Duncan models, because I have them in my two humbcuker guitars. The Pearly Gates model should be a good fit for you, since it fits your description of what you want very closely. If you want something a bit hotter than that, then the Custom 5 would be a good choice. There are, of course, many other good pickup brands to choose from. DiMarzio has a broad range of humbuckers available and the Pickup Picker feature on their website should let you zero in on a couple of models that match up well with your guitar's characteristics and the type of tone you're looking for. Many of these pickup maker's websites have sound clips that you can check out, too.

BTW, there are always a few used pickups for the more popular models available on eBay at any given time, so you don't have to pay the full "new" price.

I did the pick up chooser on dimarzio and it reccomended...

humbucker from hell
paf
air classic neck
:confused:

duhvoodooman
May 21st, 2007, 12:45 PM
As I said, I'm really not personally familiar with the DiMarzio line. You'll need to read through the descriptions of those individual models that are recommended and see which matches up best with the sound you're looking for. There are audio clips posted for many of the models, so by all means check those out, too. The Seymour Duncan site also has audio clips for many of their models.

joe324
May 21st, 2007, 12:49 PM
As I said, I'm really not personally familiar with the DiMarzio line. You'll need to read through the descriptions of those individual models that are recommended and see which matches up best with the sound you're looking for. There are audio clips posted for many of the models, so by all means check those out, too. The Seymour Duncan site also has audio clips for many of their models.

thsnks d.v.m for all your help!
listening to the audio clips i like the sound of p.a.f
nice clean and equally as nice dirty :)

duhvoodooman
May 21st, 2007, 01:28 PM
listening to the audio clips i like the sound of p.a.f
nice clean and equally as nice dirty :)
Well, that's DiMarzio's version of the original Seth Lover "patent applied for" humbucker, so you can't get much more vintage than that! For grins, you might want to check out the Duncan Seth Lover and '59 models, too. Same church, different pew....

joe324
May 21st, 2007, 01:33 PM
Well, that's DiMarzio's version of the original Seth Lover "patent applied for" humbucker, so you can't get much more vintage than that! For grins, you might want to check out the Duncan Seth Lover and '59 models, too. Same church, different pew....

it was the seymour duncan '59 i looked at :D

tot_Ou_tard
May 21st, 2007, 06:26 PM
Welcome Joe !

Hey Joe, where you goin' with that kustom bullet in your hand ?
Man! ted_s...beat me to it.

Welcome Joe! It's great to get more of the young'uns hangin' 'round.

Damn, I sure wish I started at your age!

R_of_G
May 22nd, 2007, 03:43 PM
man if i started when i was 14, i don't even want to imagine the possibilities. oh well, at least now we know joe and i can only imagine what he'll be like at our age. welcome to the fret joe, and as far as guitar playing goes, welcome to the greatest addicition of them all. i wish you many many years of happy playing.

hello all!
my name is Joe and i'm a budding musician!
i'm 14 been playing guitar 17 months with 3 guitars and 1 and 1/2 amps.
my equipment is;

yamaha f310 acoustic (set up by the luthier who sets up the guitarist from dire straights)
epiphone les paul special II in heratige sunburst- my first electric
a non-descript 3/4 spanish acoustic-my first guitar

my amps are ;

kustom bullet 10fx - good little amp (i'm a bedroom player)

i'm interested in upgrading my les paul any feedback welcome! and im in yorkshire , uk!

Brian Krashpad
July 1st, 2007, 05:31 AM
Hello Joe! Welcome. Good to have some youngsters to balance out us old f*rts.

I've had the pleasure of visiting York on an all-too-brief day trip a couple decades ago. Lovely town.

As far as upgrading your LP, the next logical step would be getting a setneck, as iirc yours is a bolt-on version. If you buy used your pound will go a lot further. Epiphone is a pretty good bet (as you know) if you can't afford Gibson (which I understand are even more expensive in Blighty than this side the pond). If you can afford more than an Epi, but maybe less than Gibson, you might look into Gordon-Smith, a British company that makes very Gibson-ish guitars. They have a very good reputation, and if you could find one used it would be a step up from an Epi setneck.