PDA

View Full Version : Funk/Fusion Progression - Moving past "total beginner?"

jasongins
May 19th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Well, here I am after a few months of lessons (started as total beginner):

Click Here: Funk/Fusion Progression (http://www.box.net/shared/sjr0ozpz11)

The backing track is a progression my guitar teacher put together for me using a program called Band in a Box. Using Garageband, I recorded the rhythm chords first (I use the term loosly as I haven't learned much rhythm playing yet), and then went back and recored the "lead". The chord progression I played is Am7, Bm7, Am7, Bm7, E9 and over again. The lead is minor pentatonic. I recorded the guitar parts using Garageband on my mac mini with my m-audio black box as the interface. The effects were done with a software program rather than the black box. My computer doesn't have quite enough horsepower to do reliable recording while simultaneously doing software effects processing - hence the occasional clicks, pops, and stuttering. Next time I'll do the effects with the black box since it does the processing its own hardware rather than use the computer's cpu.

Done with my Squier '51, bridge pickup on the chords, don't remember which pickups for the lead.

I will post the BT in the BT section. I am very curious to hear what someone else can do with it. It is about 8 minutes long in total. This has been huge fun for me, and especially because of thefret.net.

sunvalleylaw
May 19th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Good on ya JasonGins! I, as also a beginner, am very impressed. Thanks for sharing the effort.

jasongins
May 19th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks sunvalleylaw. It seems the more I learn, the more I want to learn.

SuperSwede
May 20th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Jason, I think that you came up with a nice melody... but you should turn up the guitar volume!

jasongins
May 20th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks. I can probably fix that by raising the volume on the track in garageband and exporting a new mp3.

aeolian
May 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM
That's very good playing for someone who's only played for a few months. And the recording is nicely put together too.

tot_Ou_tard
May 21st, 2007, 06:52 PM
Way to go Jason!

zeusse
May 22nd, 2007, 12:00 PM
Heck only a few months you say thats pretty darn good my playing wasn't that good for at least a year when I started....Excellent work:DR