PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rid Of the Cheese Grater

Tim
January 18th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I must admit that I agree and I am not a fan of the “Cheese Grater” on my AD30VT that I own. It is time to improved the looks of that box as it sits there producing wonderful music. I was wondering if anybody has a photograph of the improved grill installed by another distributor that sells the VOX amps.

I would like to see the construction of the grill and cloth. I plan on using Velcro to hold it in. Any other “home brew” tinkers out there?

Nelskie
January 19th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Tim - I'd posted this link in that other Vox thread, but was thinking that you might have missed it. Although this link doesn't get into the "how-to's" of installing the traditional Vox grille cloth / piping, it does at least provide you with a visual of that the finished product should look like:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/vox/new_amps/ad30vt-gr.html

Tone2TheBone
January 19th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Tim,

Find some cool basketweave tweed and cover it with that!

I think the original Vox grille cloth looks cool. I also think the cheese grater looks cool too. I'm too easy. Sometimes.

warren0728
January 19th, 2006, 11:47 AM
i kinda like the cheese grater look too but i do wonder if it causes excessive vibration noise because of it's design....thoughts?

ww

Tim
January 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I want to see how the frame is constructed. It must be light weight but sturdy enough to hold up. To hold it in place I will put velcro in each corner and also make it a tight fit.

Nice avatar T2TB. You must have a directory filled with them. We will have to post many other topics to see how many you have in your bag.

Tone2TheBone
January 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Warren,

It might. I was telling Robert the other day that when I crank up the volume on the amp, especially on the UK 70s model since that is the loudest and deepest tone of all of them, my amp vibrates and you can hear it. I tightened down ALL the screws on the entire amp including the cheese grater and it helped. For what it's worth the amp will still buzz and vibrate some but I think thats what you can expect when driving a small little box especially in the 15 and 30 watts. 50s I dunno.

Tim
January 19th, 2006, 12:03 PM
You only are going to be able to tighten those screws so many times before the pressed particle board not longer hold and blow out. I have lightly tightened mine a few times, but don’t expect it to last much longer. Hence the reason for wanting to change the front panel.

Tone2TheBone
January 19th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Tim,

Thanks didn't think anyone would notice. hahahaha (the avatar) This subject matter got my evil mind working this morning so I quickly made up the "Vox Cheeseatronix Amp" avatar you see. :)

Yeah its the nature of the beast, er chese, er whatever. Little amps are gonna make noise when loud. That air is trying to bust out! I tried taking the back of the amp off one day to hear what it sounded like and it sucked. Some people like that sucky thin sound. I didn't. I put it back on. Anyway good luck with your new project Tim and take pics of it once you find some grille cloth you like so you can show them to us.

Tim
January 19th, 2006, 12:21 PM
The avatar was a little “Cheesy” in my opinion. It goes to show that all are welcomed on this forum, whether you’re of “Mice or Men”.

I have notice that both you and Nelskie change your avatar frequently. I figure it must be the mood swings or the music being played while typing a reply to a post.

Tone2TheBone
January 19th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I think it's cause we're nuts. And bored. Or both.

warren0728
January 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM
as a professional photographer i use lightboxes that use velcro to attach different types of diffusion panels to the front of the box. Seems like it would be fairly easy to remove the old grill...put velcro around the front of the amp (looks like there is enough wood....and then velcro the fabric of your choice ti it...in fact you could make more than one panel and change them as your mood changes...kinda like tone's avatar!

would any thin type material work or do you have to use specific types of material. I have some great houndstooth patterned cloth i would like to use for the cover which is pretty thin. would standard fabric hurt the sound and if so does anyone know where you can get the correct type of fabric.

ww

Tim
January 19th, 2006, 12:43 PM
One would think that any “CHEESE” cloth type material to be OK to use. I just would prefer to have a frame to tighten the fabric over.

warren0728
January 19th, 2006, 12:47 PM
good point on the frame. ("cheese" cloth would have to work wouldn't it?) :) ...are you thinking stretch the fabric over the frame and then use velcro to attach the frame to the amp?

ww

Tim
January 19th, 2006, 01:00 PM
YEP !!! I was thinking of attaching one side of the Velcro with screws in the same holes that holds the cheese grater on. That would give 6 anchor points to hold the new grill cloth on.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 19th, 2006, 01:35 PM
TONE...I cant believe that avatar, its priceless, you better copyright that design immediately, outstanding creativity bro .. i cant stop laughing ..it gave me an enormous smile to start my day...cheese grater omg..browahhhhhhhhhhh..breath.. haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, brilliant...6S9L

Tim
January 19th, 2006, 01:42 PM
6S9L - Welcome to fun day on the forum. If you have trouble cathing your breath, remember to breathe into a bag and slow down your pase. This has been a fun thread thanks to T2TB. Sometimes it pay to get out of bed. He made my day too.

Robert
January 19th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I don't know what to say, except - I want some wine to go with my cheese!

Tim
January 19th, 2006, 02:15 PM
You avatar guys are killing me !!!!!

warren0728
January 19th, 2006, 02:28 PM
YEP !!! I was thinking of attaching one side of the Velcro with screws in the same holes that holds the cheese grater on. That would give 6 anchor points to hold the new grill cloth on.

sounds like a good plan...keep us posted....i might do this to my 30 as well

ww

Tone2TheBone
January 19th, 2006, 03:10 PM
The weekend must be coming up or something. heh

Thanks guys for making me laugh too. :)

Nelskie
January 19th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Oh man, did I ever stumble across some fun here! Tone, the "Cheesatronix" avatar is HILARIOUS - it had me in complete stitches for about 3-4 minutes! 69SL - look what you started! As for the avatar, yeah - just whatever suits my mood. And yes, it is partly due to my present state of mental health - but definitely not because I'm bored. I mean really, how can one get bored with quality humor like "Cheesatronix" floating around!

PS - Not sure if you guys noticed my Rory Gallagher avatar a week or two ago. But just for you, Tim, I'll post it again!! :D

Tim
January 19th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Nelskie - Yep I saw the new avatar. The avatar eye catcher did not take place until the second food utensil caught my eye. I believe Robert posted the first one a few weeks back. I think a lot of us got out of control today, but it sure was a hoot reading and posting the messages. Who knows what will show up in the future. Any way, I can't make out if he is tuning the ax or playing slide.

Nelskie
January 19th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I think the Rev. is reaching for his cheese slicer, which he conveniently stashes behind the headstock of his guitar! Ha ha ha! Actually, I think he's tuning back a string in mid-flight for a little "dive-bomb" effect. I've seen him do it live a few times.