PDA

View Full Version : New Hot Rod Deluxe Tweed

Duff
May 20th, 2007, 10:16 PM
This new HRDlx Tweed with the Jensen P12N speaker is really nice. I had considered a VOX ad60vtx very seriously but was suspicious of the reliability issues surrounding the modelling amps. I also tried out a Cambridge 30 and returned it due to what sounded to me like very low quality characteristics once I got it home. Got a SWR Workingpro 15 for my son instead on the trade plus cash, of course. I play my guitars through my sons practice VOX bass amp T-15 and really like it. The tone is great and it sounds just plain great. I like it better than my Marshall Vs30r.

I use the clean and the distortion on the HRD and put some pedals in front of it. The Grunge pedal sounds great both on clean and drive. So does the Bad Monkey. Have to try the Metal Master out but imagine it will give some great distortion. Just plugging into the HRD yields some great sounds. Even the distortion channels are good, with great sounds being able to be coaxed out of them. I think an amp grows on you. You learn to interact with it. Some of the pedals definitely produced some extra outstanding overdriven sounds. Definitely better than the straight up drive channels.

I'm sure a person could get really good on an HRD, and I'm positive many have.

Instead of getting an undependable VOX modelling amp I think someone could put a modelling unit in front of the HRD and get some awesome results. I'm thinking about possibly getting one just for the fun of it.

Robert
May 21st, 2007, 07:12 AM
Duff, the Vox amps are not necessarily undependable. I have never had any problem with mine.

The HR Deluxe is a great sounding amp, at least the clean channel. With some good pedals, you can have a great setup.

Duff
May 21st, 2007, 08:46 PM
I might get a VOX Ad50vt. Just for the fun of it. I also like Fender Blues Jr's and might want to get one of those instead. I play my guitars thru my son's VOX T-15 bass practice amp and really like it. It is a one channel amp and works good with pedals but sounds GREAT straight out.

I am going to watch for some items on ebay. I have, however, noticed that a lot of items on ebay are not such great deals when you figure in that they are used and don't have warranty's, might be old, etc. A lot of them go for 3/4 of what you can get them for from various sources new.

This HRD is neat though.

Spudman
May 21st, 2007, 11:05 PM
Uh oh! Somebody has GAS. :eek: :D :R

M29
May 22nd, 2007, 04:59 AM
OOh serious gas here:D

M29

Lev
May 22nd, 2007, 06:39 AM
I have both a HRD (not tweed though:( ) and a Vox AD50vt. Both are fine amps but the clean channel on the HRD works so well with pedals and modelling FX that I rarely use the Vox. You also have the added advantage of a FX loop and it's plenty loud for rehersing with a drummer.

I'm GASing for a tweed HRD now... I could play in stereo and bounce ping pong delays around the room.... room.... room... room....

elavd
May 26th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I have an Hot Rod Deluxe for 2 years now, and I am more than happy with it.

The only thing that I disliked about this amp is its reverb...But I generally don't like spring reverbs at all...

It is a VERY loud amp!!! I use it at 3 (out of 12) when I play live gigs!! I wouldn't recommend it as a practice/home amp...

Take a look at this very good website dedicated to this amp:
http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

;)