PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic "Brazil"

R_of_G
May 21st, 2007, 09:11 AM
Inspired by the melody lines in Django Reinhardt's 1953 version of "Brazil," this is my first ever recording of anything other than noodling for tone purposes. There are some rough spots for sure, but overall I am fairly pleased with how this turned out, at least as a roadmap for myself of which parts work and which parts need work.

http://www.box.net/shared/zgx2j15me9

tot_Ou_tard
May 21st, 2007, 06:42 PM
Killer tone there Rex (how're them Griffins? :D )

Izzat your 135?

How did you record it?

R_of_G
May 22nd, 2007, 07:55 AM
Thanks, though I dunno who Rex is or which Griffins you speak of.

This was played on my Burnside acoustic. I love the tone it gets in that slack-key. Sounds Hawai'ian, doesn't it? Recorded straight from acoustic into MAudio FastTrack into my G4 laptop. Not bad for a first try.

Killer tone there Rex (how're them Griffins? :D )

Izzat your 135?

How did you record it?

sunvalleylaw
May 22nd, 2007, 09:04 AM
That is very nice! I like it very much. Did you connect up your MAudio FastTrack via USB? What type of G4 Laptop do you have if I may ask? I have an old PB Ti 400 that I was thinking of dedicating to a knockabout recording, travel laptop. I think it just has USB 1.0 if I remember correctly. The MAudio fastTrack seems to say that it requires USB 2.0, but my local computer guy thought it might work anyway. Wondering what your system is and what your experiences have been.

zeusse
May 22nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
Its a nice deep tone what mic are you using?

R_of_G
May 22nd, 2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks, appreciate it.

Yes, I went directly from the MAudio box into Apple Garageband straight through the USB [which is 2.0] on my laptop a 1.6 GHz Power PC G4. The only thing that needed post recording tweaking was the volume and a little bit of equalization to brighten up the high as i am tuned down fairly low to get the slack-key feel. I lent the MAudio box to a friend once to try recording on his pc, and he reported no luck with the USB 1.0 port, but your mileage may vary. As far as with current macs, I am pleased with the device, specifically with recording from my electric and amp.

That is very nice! I like it very much. Did you connect up your MAudio FastTrack via USB? What type of G4 Laptop do you have if I may ask? I have an old PB Ti 400 that I was thinking of dedicating to a knockabout recording, travel laptop. I think it just has USB 1.0 if I remember correctly. The MAudio fastTrack seems to say that it requires USB 2.0, but my local computer guy thought it might work anyway. Wondering what your system is and what your experiences have been.

R_of_G
May 22nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Its a nice deep tone what mic are you using?

Not using a mic on this recording, just acoustic [with built-in pickup] straight to the MAdudio box which connects via USB to my laptop. Simplicity at its finest. Just needs some tweaking afterwards for volume. Now, that said, I am looking to pick up a mic in order to record my acoustic playing in more of a live room environment. Though I have yet to get one, I used to work in radio and am a big fan of Senheisers. We'll see come bday time when I go to purchase one. The MAudio FastTrack does have an XLR input as well as stndard guitar jack input, which is one of the reasons I purchased it.

tot_Ou_tard
May 22nd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks, though I dunno who Rex is or which Griffins you speak of.

Just me being goofy R.

The rest have wisely learned to ignore me.

Go back & read the Marc Ribot thread if your aren't concerned about your sanity.

R_of_G
May 22nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Just me being goofy R.

The rest have wisely learned to ignore me.

Go back & read the Marc Ribot thread if your aren't concerned about your sanity.

Looking back on the Ribot posts and I do recall your guess as to my identity. Had never heard of Rex of Griffins before, but looking back at it, it sounds interesting. And goofiness, not a problem for me.

tot_Ou_tard
May 22nd, 2007, 05:37 PM
Had never heard of Rex of Griffins before, but looking back at it, it sounds interesting.
How could you have? I made it up on the spot. Wales is real, however

...or so I've heard.

:p ;) :D

sunvalleylaw
May 22nd, 2007, 06:58 PM
How could you have? I made it up on the spot. Wales is real, however

...or so I've heard.

:p ;) :D

Dylan Thomas and Roald Dahl would think so I believe. ;)