PDA

View Full Version : Apple Help Requested

Tim
May 21st, 2007, 09:28 AM
OK you Apple people! This is especially for Warren and Super Swede and any other Fretters who would like to contribute information.

I have a friend whose son owns an Apple computer which is about 5 -6 years old. The mother asked me if Apple has the same kind of free upgrades that Microsoft provides for their Windows users. I told her I did not know very much about Apple computers.

These people do not have the money for a new computer and they do not know what upgrade packages are available let alone afford to purchase. I told the mother that I know a few Apple diehards and will inquire about what type of free upgrades are available. The boy uses the computer mainly for school plus other social activities. He is a good kid. Thanks in advance.

ted s
May 21st, 2007, 10:23 AM
What kind of upgrades you talking Tim ? Every one in a while I will get an update popup on my iMac for Mac s/w updates.
Or does junior need some fresh software ?

warren0728
May 21st, 2007, 11:09 AM
not sure what you mean there tim...if you mean operating system upgrade you must buy the latest full version (just like if you own windows me and upgrade to xp you have to buy xp).

Can you find out what type of apple it is and what operating system she is running...that would help a lot.

ww

sunvalleylaw
May 21st, 2007, 01:05 PM
You can download the updates for the operating system software here:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

What updates they need depend on what OS they are running. There have been a lot of upgrades during the last several years. The very latest OS may not run as well as a previous version. OS X has been out in several major revisions in the period you have noted. Major releases, ie Tiger (10.4) vs. Jaguar (10.3), etc. are paid for. But interim updates are free on this site. Prior to OS X, the operating software was completely different. It is still probably supported on the site. Need more details to help more. To find out the operating system, click on the apple on the upper left and select "About this Mac" and it should tell you the operating system.

Tim
May 21st, 2007, 05:21 PM
I can not answer any questions on what upgrades are being requested. I am only the messenger who is passing on a question from the mother. I am not sure if she knows exactly what to ask for. I will attempt to call her tomorrow and hopefully pass on the recommendations. I will also ask what OS system is presently being used.

I'll be back!!

sunvalleylaw
May 21st, 2007, 05:35 PM
The link I posted is to Apple's download page where you will find any free updates. Hopefully, you or they can just determine what OS they are running and run the updates. The newer OS X's have automatic update features built in that notify you when updates are available and link you directly to the updates.

SuperSwede
May 22nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
In Finder (the mac desktop) you can click on "about this computer" under the apple to find out what software version she has. Not much else to add that has not been said already.