PDA

View Full Version : Jon Madof & Rashanim

R_of_G
May 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM
Here is a very interesting guitarist from New York [via Philadelphia] who has recorded a couple of great cd's with his band Rashanim. The first of these is comprised or originals, and shows off the band's [guitar, bass, drums] chops as a real jazz power-trio. The second album [avail on John Zorn's Tzadik label] features the band lending their style to compositions from Zorn's Masada songbook, and features Marc Ribot guesting on two tracks. I highly reccomend this for both jazz and rock fans, as there are licks a-plenty to appeal to all guitar fans.

Check him out: http://www.jonmadof.com/

tot_Ou_tard
May 21st, 2007, 06:55 PM
Here is a very interesting guitarist from New York [via Philadelphia] who has recorded a couple of great cd's with his band Rashanim. The first of these is comprised or originals, and shows off the band's [guitar, bass, drums] chops as a real jazz power-trio. The second album [avail on John Zorn's Tzadik label] features the band lending their style to compositions from Zorn's Masada songbook, and features Marc Ribot guesting on two tracks. I highly reccomend this for both jazz and rock fans, as there are licks a-plenty to appeal to all guitar fans.

Check him out: http://www.jonmadof.com/
You're killing me with the new stuff I've never heard ROG.

I love Masada, BTW.

R_of_G
May 22nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
You're killing me with the new stuff I've never heard ROG.

I love Masada, BTW.

It's what I am known for among my friends, turning them on to music they've never heard of but almost always end up enjoying. Knowing a bit of your music-listening background made Zony Mash an easy choice. If I know your tastes as well as I think I might [we have much in common] than Rashanim are right up your alley. Very power-trio sound but still primarily jazz oriented, and on the 2nd cd "Masada Rock," they put some of Zorn's best songs through a massive workout. The opening track with Marc Ribot will have you hooked for days by itself [I'm still trying to figure out his solo note for note]. Madof himself is a phenomenal guitar player, and the bass player is particularly lyrical. The drummer has to be good just to keep pace with those two, and he is good, quite good. The album hasn't gone more than a month without me drifting back to it since I got it at least 6 mos ago. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Also, not sure which [or possibly all three] Masada incarnations you were saying you liked earlier. As you may know already, there is Masada [the original acoustic Ornette Coleman style band with Zorn, Dave Douglas, Greg Cohen and Joey Baron], the Electric Masda with [ the above plus, usually, Marc Ribot, Jamie Saft, Cyro Baptista, etc. of Zorn's crew] which is as close to getting the Miles Davis 1972/1973 sound better than any non-Miles band I have heard, and the Masada String Trio/Bar Kokhba outfit the first half of which is hauntingly beautiful, the other half of which is the trio rounded out with drums piano and zorn for a "lounge" sound according to Zorn. All perform works exclusively from Zorn's Masada song book of "new Jewish jazz."

In addition to that, there is "Masada Guitars" which is a beautiful solo guitar album featuring Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell, and Tim Sparks interpreting some of the 200 songs in the book. There is also the above-mentioned "Masada Rock" cd which features the trio Rashanim performing from the Masada song book. All of these albums can be found on Zorn's Tzadik label, as can a LOT of other great music. If any of these are new Masada to you, check them out, you will like. I do.

For the record, Zorn is my 3rd fav all-time composer behind only Miles and Carl Stalling [who is one of Zorn's heros and the inspiration for much of the Naked City Zorn projects].:cool: