PDA

View Full Version : New Guitar Day: Whole lotta Rosie

Brian Krashpad
May 23rd, 2007, 05:43 AM
Thanks again to forumite Highway_61 over at Harmony-Central for sussing me to this Music123 deal. These Daisy Rocks (sister company of Schecter) are made in Indonesia and usually street for $299 (I've seen small music stores sell them for $375, iirc the msrp is $428 or thereabouts). $120 shipped:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/RosieResized.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/RosieBodyCloseUp.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/RosiefHoleCloseUp.jpg

It's far from perfect but certainly playable and presumably giggable dead stock (I have a side-band practice Thursday night and will try her out then, plus maybe with my second side band at a Friday night show). There are a couple very tiny dust specs under the clear coat, a little space (I've seen worse) on the treble side of the neck pocket, and the paint missed a stripe inside the f-hole (see last pic). Eventually I'll pick up some pink nail polish and touch the f-hole up, but it's not noticeable unless one is really looking. If I'd paid full price I might be miffed, but for this deal no worries. The color in some of these makes it appear to have a slight violet cast, but it's actually a metallic Pepto Bismol pink. I may make a Pepto Bismol sticker for it!

I was gonna call her "Pinky," but my daughter, who hates the whole "pink for girls" bit nixed that and suggested "Rose" instead. So Rose she is.

Stock pickups sound fine. I do hafta concentrate on fretting the high E string given the slightly narrow neck so as to not pull the string south off the fretboard, but after a few minutes of getting used to it becomes automatic, kinda like playing a Ric. Tuners are Grovers and fine. The pots and switch feel surprisingly solid, I love the all-metal switch tip on the pickup selector (reminds me of the all-metal one on my 1960 Duo-Sonic).

Gotta go take the van in for service but will pop back in later. Questions if any answered then!

PS: It's my 20th Wedding Anniversary today!

duhvoodooman
May 23rd, 2007, 07:14 AM
Looks like a nice deal, Brian. Will be interested to hear your impressions after you've spent more time with it. I've read very good things about some of those Daisy Rock guitars. Apparently quite well made. One of their models--the Rock Candy Custom Special--did very well in a comparison test of 35 guitars under $500 that was in Guitar Player mag a couple of months back. AAMOF, it was one of eight to win their Editor's Pick award.

P.S. Congrats on the 20th anniversary!

sunvalleylaw
May 23rd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Congrats man! Both on the guitar and also on the big milestone in your marriage! Happy Anniversary!

SuperSwede
May 23rd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Congrats.. its always nice with mini humbuckers!

Robert
May 23rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
Happy Anniversary!

Nice color! You will look like a real man playing that one. :D :eek:

Brian Krashpad
May 23rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys!

Congrats.. its always nice with mini humbuckers!

That's the real reason I got her. I only have one other guitar with a mini, a Frankentele with a neck Seymour Duncan mini-HB. So I wanted a two-mini guitar. Plus I only have one other semi-hollow.

Here's Rose with her sister Corinne:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/LasDosHermanas.jpg

Nice color! You will look like a real man playing that one. :D :eek:

Haha, I hope I'll be able to put Rose through her paces Friday with my "new" second side-band (they only play a half-dozen times a year or so), but I have no idea how they'll react to her. I've known the lead singer/songwriter/guitarist/leader guy for like 18 years, so he's not a prob, and I'd guess the bassist in that band just kinda shows up (the times I've played with them over the last few years were to sub for him), so that leaves the drummer.

Though I've known him for probably 5 or 6 years, and played at least a dozen shows with him, he has this kinda weird deal where everyone hasta play "pro gear." He's a vet of the 80's hair band circuit so he'll probably flip when he sees that guitar. At any rate I'll bring a passel and have several to choose from.

Oh, the new second sideband can be seen/heard here:

http://www.myspace.com/dynamitecharade

Spudman
May 23rd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Happy anniversary. Is that 20 years with the same person? I can't even imagine.

Beautiful color on the new axe, but...how do you set the intonation?

Brian Krashpad
May 24th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Happy anniversary. Is that 20 years with the same person? I can't even imagine.

Beautiful color on the new axe, but...how do you set the intonation?

Yep 20 years, same person. Actually we went out for at least 3 or 4 years before getting married so it's really longer than that.

As for intonation, the bridge isn't adjustable. Though it is compensated (see the lttle zigzag in it). It's very close to being dead-on, fortunately. Numerous places make replacement wrap bridges that are adjustable as well. I have an adjustable upgrade that came on my Gretsch Electromatic Special Jet I bought used. Shouldn't be necessary on this'un.

In the pic above of Rose with her sister Corinne, the other guitar also has a one-piece bridge, though hers is both adjustable and string-through.

Big K
May 24th, 2007, 07:03 AM
congrats on the new guitar and Happy Anniversary.......

Brian Krashpad
May 24th, 2007, 01:40 PM
congrats on the new guitar and Happy Anniversary.......

Thanks, I'm very blessed on many levels.

Hopefully the guys in the "new" side band won't freak out over the guitar. But I'd bet there's a good chance they will.

BK

t_ross33
May 24th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Hopefully the guys in the "new" side band won't freak out over the guitar. But I'd bet there's a good chance they will

Happy Anniversary! I'm hitting 14 years this July, but we dated for 2 and were engaged for 2, so it's pushing 20 yrs together :) We'll both be hitting the big 4-oh this year too!

And Rosie, I think she's a beauty! If your bandmates freak out, all the more reason to bring her - it would be very punk of you :R :cool:

Brian Krashpad
May 25th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Happy Anniversary! I'm hitting 14 years this July, but we dated for 2 and were engaged for 2, so it's pushing 20 yrs together :) We'll both be hitting the big 4-oh this year too!

And Rosie, I think she's a beauty! If your bandmates freak out, all the more reason to bring her - it would be very punk of you :R :cool:

Haha, true dat. But this side band is more like power pop than punk.

At any rate I put Rosie through her paces last night at band volume, at practice with the other side band, that does roots rock, and she did quite well. Our drummer in particular was very impressed with the the tone. Once I tightened up the Grovers she held tuning fine and withstood my usual abuse.

I'll see if I can't get her onstage tonight.