PDA

View Full Version : String Tension

Nelskie
January 18th, 2006, 05:06 PM
OK all you "tekkies" - I have a question regarding guitar string tensioning. On my new G & L Tele, the strings have a much "looser", almost elastic feel to them. With the flat radius of the neck, it is super-easy to play, and chording on the frets seems almost effortless. This guitar has a vintage type Tele bridge (ashtray), with compensating brass saddles, and Schaller-type tuners.

Retrospectively, on my Classic 60's Strat, the strings seem very taut, almost to the point where it is a bit difficult to play. The bridge is the standard type Fender Strat tremelo Bridge, and the tuners are the vintage Kluson-type.

I run .10 - .46 D'Addario XL's on both guitars.

I would prefer my Strat to have that "looser" feel, like my Tele. How could I accomplish that? What adjustments should I consider making? Is there anything outside of standard adjustments (truss rod, bridge, saddles) that I should consider? Perhaps a Callaham block? Or a different type of nut? Lighter strings?

The reason I'm looking into this is that I ordered some Custom Shop '69 p'ups for that Strat, and when I bring that guitar in to get those installed, I'd like to get it totally dialed in. It's way too nice of a guitar to be on part-time duty. If it played a little easier, I'm pretty sure it'd see a lot of action. Right now, it's not very forgiving - like its working against me as I play.

Insights and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks! :)

Spudman
January 18th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Nelskie

Everyone knows that in order to get rid of string tension you play a little classical music for them or give them a glass of red wine or massage. Sometimes just a listening ear will greatly reduce their tension. :)

OK, seriously I have just noticed the same thing on a Strat that I recently purchased. It seems more taught than even other Strats that I have. I know that scale length has something to do with it especially among different guitars. Shorter scale length seems less tense (to me). Maybe on a Strat if the tremolo springs are really tight it wont let the bridge move forward when you bend etc. and that makes it feel tighter. No give. I really don't know.

This could turn out to be a really cool physics question that I would like to know the answere to as well.

Katastrophe
January 26th, 2006, 08:05 AM
I dunno, Nelskie, but I had the same problem with my ESP, compared to my other guitars. Same 25.5" scale, different bridges (2 piece LP style). Was having problems with the guitar, so I disassembled the bridge and took out the jack (was having grounding issues). Changed strings (I use the same D'Addario .010s), and did a general setup, including tightening the retaining nuts for the tuners and adjusting string height. Fiddled with the string height, and must have found the "sweet spot." The action was a bit too high on the lower E, A, and D strings, and too low on the G, B, and E strings. The TOM was no longer perfectly level, but the action is MUCH better, and the strings feel almost too slack now, and the guitar plays like brand new. Time will tell how well she'll hold a tune.

Mystifying stuff, guitar setups. Next time, it's gonna need a fret recrown and a truss rod adjustment, but for now, it's good!