PDA

View Full Version : Palm

SuperSwede
May 23rd, 2007, 10:39 AM
Does anyone here got a Palm (handheld computer) ?
I love my TX but I really need to get a decent file browser.

Robert
May 23rd, 2007, 10:50 AM
I have a Sony Clio with the Palm Operating System. It's 3 years old and completely useless for me.

marnold
May 23rd, 2007, 11:42 AM
I too have a TX that I use every day. Have you tried FileZ (http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.showsoftware&prodid=9992)? Works for me.

SuperSwede
May 23rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
Marnold, I have a file (mp3) that I accidently saved on the internal memory. I have tried to find it, but the only place where I can see it is within the music player (which doesnt let me copy/delete) the file. I have tried with various file managers but I cannot locate the /music folder or the file. I can only see mp3´s on the SD card. Very strange, but thanks for the Filez link.. I hope that it works.

The TX is the best organizer that I´ve ever had! I use it as a mp3/video player and surfing with the built in wifi works like a charm. I cannot use a paper organizer because I forget to look in them ;)

Robert, why is the Clie useless for you? Do you use a paper organizer instead?

Robert
May 23rd, 2007, 01:35 PM
I use my cellphone, a SonyEricsson. It has a nice calendar that syncs with Outlook, and I much prefer it to the Sony Clie. It has all I need - reminders, notes, etc.

I strongly dislike carrying a bunch of gadgets around, although I like having gadgets on the floor to step on when I play guitar. :)

SuperSwede
May 23rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
I sold my Sony Ericsson P910i because the Palm TX worked so much better. I got a tiny Samsung phone instead, so its not too much to lug around.

sunvalleylaw
May 23rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
I have used a Palm Treo 600 for a couple few years now and it has worked well. Good multi use device, I use the calendar and contacts extensively. I don't use the internet on it. The phone is decent, but not the best. I sync the calendar and contacts with iCal and Addresss Book on my mac, and the mac syncs all the other machines with .mac. I used to use the mac version Outlook and that worked fine too, but iCal and Address book work more smoothly for me. I am not sure what you mean by file browser. Must be something I don't do. My treo is finally starting to die, so I may replace it with an iPhone when they hit 2nd generation, since I use the Mac OS cal and address book anyway. The Palm has been a great unit.

marnold
May 23rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
Marnold, I have a file (mp3) that I accidently saved on the internal memory. I have tried to find it, but the only place where I can see it is within the music player (which doesnt let me copy/delete) the file. I have tried with various file managers but I cannot locate the /music folder or the file. I can only see mp3´s on the SD card. Very strange, but thanks for the Filez link.. I hope that it works.
FileZ will find it. Tap on "View and Edit Files" then tap on the triangles by "BUILTIN" and "Music". Your file should be there. I believe the problem is that the TX has internal storage that allows you to save files directly to memory without them being in databases (.pdb, .prc). The problem is that there is no applet that comes with PalmOS to actually navigate around this memory. I think it is the same functionality that was tapped for the "drive mode" on some Palm PDAs.

I love my TX to death. I'd be utterly lost without it.

SuperSwede
May 24th, 2007, 02:07 AM
FileZ will find it. Tap on "View and Edit Files" then tap on the triangles by "BUILTIN" and "Music". Your file should be there. I believe the problem is that the TX has internal storage that allows you to save files directly to memory without them being in databases (.pdb, .prc). The problem is that there is no applet that comes with PalmOS to actually navigate around this memory. I think it is the same functionality that was tapped for the "drive mode" on some Palm PDAs.

I love my TX to death. I'd be utterly lost without it.

Thanks Marnold! I found the file, and I will definately replace unicmd with FileZ. Very handy application.
I´ve had several organizers in the past, but nothing comes close to the TX. Wifi, big screen, bluetooth, SD card, browser & the huge Palm software library. Mine is almost 2 years old now so I dont know what to get next time, it was a long time since Palm released a new "true" handheld device. I dont like the Lifedrive, its too bulky and the battery life is not good.

pie_man_25
May 24th, 2007, 05:38 PM
hahahaha I don't have anything like that because I'm poor and I have no life, and therefore don't have to worry about it!!

ted s
May 24th, 2007, 06:30 PM
But Pie, apparently you have a computer and guitar gear :D

marnold
May 24th, 2007, 08:18 PM
One word of warning though: although FileZ is very handy and helpful, you can destroy your world in a big hurry too. Basically, when you delete something, make sure you REALLY want to delete it :)

SuperSwede
May 25th, 2007, 03:20 AM
One word of warning though: although FileZ is very handy and helpful, you can destroy your world in a big hurry too. Basically, when you delete something, make sure you REALLY want to delete it :)

I´ve already learned that lesson with the help of unicmd which is another file manager. Fortunately I only had to sync again to restore the Palm.

pie_man_25
June 2nd, 2007, 01:13 PM
But Pie, apparently you have a computer and guitar gear :D

note: the computer I got from my uncle's PC business graveyard for free, made in 1998, my last one made in 1988 from my father's graveyard, my guitar gear is my father's which he got from a co-worker for $20 , and my bass gear I got used all for only $800,

therefore: I only paid $800 for: a computer, a guitar and 2 tube amps, and bass gear worth $2000.

according to the charts, I'm poor!!!

ted s
June 2nd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Ok, ok, then your rich in spirit..

oldguy
June 2nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
hahahaha I don't have anything like that because I'm poor and I have no life, and therefore don't have to worry about it!!

Pieman, you crack me up.:D What part of the country do you live in? I bet you keep folks in good spirit when you're around.

Mark
June 2nd, 2007, 02:45 PM
note: I'm poor!!!

Grasshopper....... it is within you to change this place where you find yourself. If you have nothing and feel you are at the bottom then up would be the best path for you to follow, would it not? All it takes is hard work and perseverance but know this, it is within you!:D

pie_man_25
June 3rd, 2007, 08:20 AM
Grasshopper....... it is within you to change this place where you find yourself. If you have nothing and feel you are at the bottom then up would be the best path for you to follow, would it not? All it takes is hard work and perseverance but know this, it is within you!:D

yeah but I really don't mind the fact that I'm poor:DR , and besides, I could always get rich as a blues artist!!!:cool: plus I save a lot of cash by not getting haircuts!