PDA

View Full Version : Tele Hum grounding problem - need help

Robert
May 23rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
My beloved Squier Tele with DiMarzio Virtual T pickups seem to have developed a grounding problem. It hums like crazy now if I don't put my hands on the strings or on the control plate.

I took a look at the soldering, and it looks fine.

I have had some problems with my 3-way switch, and I think I'll replace it and see if this solves the problem.

Anything else I should check?

ShortBuSX
May 23rd, 2007, 02:13 PM
Check the input jack.

duhvoodooman
May 23rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
For sure, check the ground wire connection to the output jack. Have you tried playing it in several different locations to make sure it's not an environmental factor? Does it still hum when in the dual pickup position? Any chance you did something that affected the bridge ground wire connection under the bridge plate?

marnold
May 23rd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Just a WAG: check to make sure the ground to the bridge is still secure.

Robert
May 23rd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Marnold, I did that and it was all good.

Big K
May 23rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
might want to check continuity between the back of the volume pot and all the ground connections to ensure that you don't have a cold joint or a joint that has worked loose somewhere....

Robert
May 24th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I checked everything - looks fine. What should I do next? Start replacing one part at a time?

DVM - No, I didn't mess around with it when this started happening. How do I check "ground wire connection to the output jack"? It looks fine, no bad solder joints or loose cables. I think I've checked everything mentioned so far.

Maybe I should start replacing the output jack? This bothers me - it's my #2 guitar!

marnold
May 24th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Does it buzz in all three positions? You could try hot-wiring one of the pickups directly to the jack. That would help isolate it. Did you test with a meter to make sure the grounds are all good?

I read on the TDPRI that some Fender wiring schemes end up creating a ground loop. Basically, the tone pot is grounded both through the control plate and by a connection to the volume pot. The result: a ground loop and hum.

For a real WAG: are you using the same guitar cable with all of your guitars? If it's a separate one for the Tele, that might have a short in it.

Robert
May 25th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Yes, all 3 positions. No, I didn't test with a meter - how do I do this?

Cables are good - I tested several - no hum on other guitars.

M29
May 25th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Hello Robert,

Man I am stumped, everyone has pretty much covered anything I would have thought of. It is something that just happened and has not been acting up for a while. I would suspect the jack. This gets the most abuse and is usually problematic. Nothing else moves much other then the controls...hmm this is a tough one... Try taking the jack out and plugging the cord in with an amp on and move the jack around and see if you get trouble by moving it. This will show a bad connection or other problem.

M29

duhvoodooman
May 25th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Yeah, I'd have to agree that the prime suspect would seem to be the jack. Doesn't seem to be switch or pickup related, since all three positions do it. And as M29 states, the jack gets significant wear & tear. I'd go after that next.

ShortBuSX
May 25th, 2007, 09:13 AM
I have to snug up my jack atleast once every 2 months...I totally suspect the jack...all your other connections are sealed and arent as prone as the jack.

Its almost worth the $6 bucks for the Switchcraft jack...I mean you kinda gotta disassemble your current one to check the connections anyways.*shrug*

Robert
May 25th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks guys, I'll try replacing the input jack.

R

Robert
June 11th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I spent all $%^& night trying to fix this *&#$% thing. I give up! I replaced the input jack and the 3 way switch, still the ZZZZZ buzz is not going away. I'd better hand over the guitar to a "real guitar tech" before I end up performing a big "Smashing Of Guitar" show a la Hendrix or Townshend...

SuperSwede
June 12th, 2007, 02:33 AM
I spent all $%^& night trying to fix this *&#$% thing. I give up! I replaced the input jack and the 3 way switch, still the ZZZZZ buzz is not going away. I'd better hand over the guitar to a "real guitar tech" before I end up performing a big "Smashing Of Guitar" show a la Hendrix or Townshend...

Could you please do it in front of the camera? I mean if you decide to wreck the guitar ;)

WackyT
June 12th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Have you tried different cables? My strat had a hum with one set of cables and none with another.

Robert
June 12th, 2007, 07:28 AM
WackyT - yes.

marnold
June 12th, 2007, 08:15 AM
ROBERT SMASH!

I thought all you Canadians were peace-loving hippie types? :)

I'd say turning it over to a tech would be the only way to go now. I hope it doesn't come back that you have a bad pup. You could try to desolder the pups one by one and see if the buzzing disappears if one or the other is gone.

Ro3b
January 17th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Sorry to dredge up the old thread, but did you ever figure out what your problem was, Robert? My tele has lately developed the same symptom. Buzzes like a fridge when I'm not touching anything, and all my wiring connections look sound. I'm perplexed.

Robert
January 17th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I never did smash that guitar - I took it to a knowledgeable guitar tech who rewired the whole enchilada.

Spudman
January 17th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I was going to suggest to remelt all the solder connections and remove the bridge and make sure there is a ground wire with plenty of bare wire touching the bridge plate before you put it back on. You might want to scrape or scuff up the spot the wire touches on the bridge plate so that you are assured a good connection.

kiteman
January 18th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I never did smash that guitar - I took it to a knowledgeable guitar tech who rewired the whole enchilada.

Well? Is it fixed?

Robert
January 18th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Well? Is it fixed?

Yes indeed. It was like brand new after the rewire.

Ro3b
January 19th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Sigh. Well, ok, I was wondering how I'd spend next weekend.