PDA

View Full Version : Callaham Strat bridge plate

Tone2TheBone
May 23rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
Has anyone tried these on their single coil bridge pickups?

From the Callaham website:

..."Callaham Base Plate for single coil Strat Bridge Pickups boosts the lows and the mid range frequencies giving a fatter wider sound. I recommend adding a base plate to existing instruments if they do not have one. Installation instructions included."

http://www.callahamguitars.com/bplate2.jpg

Big K
May 23rd, 2007, 04:22 PM
makes a strat have more of a tele twang when in the bridge only position...

From Singlecoil.com website:

baseplates for singlecoil pickups

Here are our ready to drop in metal plates that you can put under every singlecoil pickup to enhance bass response or to give your Strat´s bridge pickup the character of a Tele´s bridge pickup. You can also use them to make your singlecoil pickup sound like an overwound type, increasing its output. They are made out of metal and you can put them underneath every singlecoil pickup you want to, the pickups magnets will hold them in place so you can try them out. For a permanent use you should attach them as described in the manual. There are also additional holes drilled into the plate for a perfect fastening underneath a Stratocaster pickup. You can order them as an individual item or in sets of two or three plates. This plates have the same quality (maybe in some cases an even better quality) as those from the big companies, offering them for $15 or more a piece !!!!

Tone2TheBone
May 24th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I know but have you tried them?

Big K
May 24th, 2007, 04:40 PM
i did and they don't make a strat into a tele but they do give the bridge pickup some jangle and a bit more punch...

Tone2TheBone
May 24th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I'm thinking of adding one to my 60s Strat just to see if I like that sound or not. Thanks for replying.

gtrwrks
May 27th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I like the Fralin/Callaham base plates for single coils - it fattens the lows and mids and boosts the output of the p'up a little bit - it's not going to turn a pickup into a monster by any means, but it does a nice job of fattening, etc. If you like a vintage output p'up for Strats, a base plate on the bridge pos pickup is a subtle but very nice addition.

Tone2TheBone
May 27th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks for replying gtrwrks. Both of my Strats have vintage pups in all 3 positions and I love that vintage tone on the neck and middle. I like a bit fatter tone on the bridge pups. I have a Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Blues pickup in the bridge position on my 60s Strat and this is the one I'd like to put one of those plates on. By itself it is way less ice picky and sounds pretty good with a bit of overdrive but I think it would sound best with one of those plates. Just something to try. I appreciate your comments thank you. :)