PDA

View Full Version : What Famous people/Musicians have you met?

Myles
September 27th, 2005, 10:54 AM
I can't say that I've really met anyone famous in my life (except maybe Robert :p ), so I was curious if any of you have met anyone famous, musician or otherwise. If so, who?

Robert
September 29th, 2005, 10:23 AM
I briefly met Scott Henderson and Scott Kinsey from Tribal Tech.
I talked to John Abercrombie after a gig he did where he had just gotten off the plane and was sight reading the whole gig. He said it was hard, he had never heard the music before. Unreal, the stuff was very complicated and he pulled it off brilliantly!

Tone2TheBone
September 29th, 2005, 10:29 AM
My wife and I were having lunch at this local Mexican Food restaurant not too long ago. My wife looks over at this table and says..."hey isn't that Val Kilmer"...I look and go..."yup". After that he kinda stared at us while he talked because it was obvious he knew that we knew it was him. I've heard he's not terribly fond of people gawking at him and tends to hide his presence but you can't mistake those eyes and face. He did sport a goofy died blondish red scare-do (spikey hair style) though...almost exagerated as if you took a blow dryer to it and blew it straight up in the air. hahahaha But it was him.

Working at an airport I've run into stars all the time. I met Robert Plant once while singing Christmas Carols in Santa Fe one year. He graciously applauded our group. Very nice man. He owns some property near Santa Fe and was visiting friends in the neighborhood we happened to be caroling in. I love telling that story. ;)

tehuti
October 20th, 2005, 10:32 AM
I go to a lot of festivals so I've met a few people there. But not just in passing. Guitar Shorty, Hubert Sumlin, Walter Trout, Ike Turner. I had one lesson with Kid Ramos at his house.

Robert
October 20th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Wow, that is interesting, tehuti! Some big names.

marnold
October 22nd, 2005, 08:27 PM
A few summers ago I met two of my heros within a couple of months of each other. One is Monty Python's Eric Idle. I talked with him and got his autograph on his "Eric Idle Exploits Monty Python" tour. The other is none other than #9 himself, Gordie Howe. He made an appearance when the U.S. national junior hockey championships were in Green Bay. He signed his book and my wife snapped a picture of me talking to him.

http://www.ez-net.com/~marnold/images/gordie.jpg

Yes, that's me with the #9 jersey on. I bought that many moons ago. He was surprised because all of the books they had for sale there were pre-signed. He was just customizing them. Mine was blank in the front because I bought it about a year earlier when I was back home in Michigan. He asked where I bought the book and where I was from, etc. It was pretty cool.

Justaguyin_nc
October 30th, 2005, 07:17 AM
While living and working in Memphis I was fortunate in the fact a few co-workers did some playing on Beale Street. To me they became famous. One nite the wife and I went to Mudd Island to a Foreinger concert which I really enjoyed. After the concert we decided to hit B.B. Kings to round out the nite. A Friend was playing keyboards that nite there and we was living it up! During a break he sat down and I was telling him of the great concert we just came from. About that moment, in walks the whole group foreinger! And straight to our table!! some sat around us shaking hands and some went to join the band on stage, it seems this unknown (to me) co-worker keyboard player was known by a few of them either meeting or history wise. shaking hands with all and letting them know I was no one but a ticket buyer I really enjoyed the nite! Not only did I meet the group personally and get free drinks (lol), I found out my co-worker at one time in his life toured Europe with a band mainly made up of his family The Hodge Brothers. Most famous of them was his brother who wrote and played for Al Green. Sometimes, you don't know who is famous till you stop and look around.. life in Memphis was interesting to say the least!